Samsung's latest 14nm Exynos 7420 ~ 30-35% more efficient, to debut in Galaxy S6

Aniallation

http://androidheadlines.com/2015/02/samsungs-exynos-7420-chip-30-35-efficient-20nm-socs.html

Wow, we don't even have 14nm (Broadwell) on desktop yet and it's already hitting the mobile device market.

Interesting to see that there's a possibility they may not release a Snapdragon-powered version of the S6, as all previous Galaxy S models have had Snapdragon versions for the North American markets...

Basically everyone knows by now that Samsung will unveil their Galaxy S6 flagship at their Unpacked event on March 1st as part of MWC (Mobile World Congress) in Barcelona, though this event is technically being held before MWC starts. Anyhow, the Galaxy S6 Edge handset will appear next to the Galaxy S6 it seems, and both of those handsets will quite probably be powered by Samsung’s very own Exynos 7420 octa-core processor.

Samsung-Exynos-7-Processor.jpg

That being said, the benchmarks thus far revealed the power of Samsung’s chip, at least on paper, it remains to be seen how will it perform in real life, of course. What’s interesting about this chip though, is the fact that it’s built using 14nm technology, compared to the 20nm process that most other manufacturers used. This will be the first 14nm processor out on the market (implemented into a smartphone), and according to the provided data, its power consumption has been reduced by 30 to 35%, which is great of course. Mali-T760 GPU is included with this SoC, and will be there for graphics, of course. Moreover, this processor is made on three-dimensional (3D) FinFET transistor technology which is used to overcome the limitations of the regular, 2D Planar structure technology. This method has been used by Intel for quite some time now, but in their desktop SoCs.

Samsung is very proud of its newest chip, rightfully so, the processor seems really powerful and its power consumption is admirable apparently. As I already mentioned, it remains to be seen how will it perform in real life, but we’ll find that out soon enough. Samsung probably won’t manufacture the Snapdragon-powered variant of the Galaxy S6 handset, as many rumors have stated thus far. Qualcomm has confirmed that a “major company” has given up on the Snapdragon 810 and won’t be implementing it in their device(s). It all adds up, that’s too bad though, I’m sure many of you wanted to get your hands on the Snapdragon-powered variant of the device. This Exynos chip seems really, really powerful and I’m looking forward to see it in action though, what about you?

"Rawr XD"

Eh, i guess qualcomm needed competition...

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

i think the tegra X is still much better...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Saw this on Anandtech earlier. It will also support LPDDR4 instead of being stuck with LPDDR3 like the Exynos 7410, which will hopefully be a pretty big advantage in both power and performance (right now the 7410 has much lower memory bandwidth than the Snapdragon 805 and 810).

Ah yes... <Unreleased chip with unknown performance> is so much better than <Unreleased chip with unknown performance>!

/sarcasm

Not in every case.

Saw this on Anandtech earlier. It will also support LPDDR4 instead of being stuck with LPDDR3 like the Exynos 7410, which will hopefully be a pretty big advantage in both power and performance (right now the 7410 has much lower memory bandwidth than the Snapdragon 805 and 810).

Also keep in mind that DDR4 is a huge benefit in terms of heat and power consumption too. Drastically better in those two areas while providing similar performance to DDR3 is in no doubt a plus for mobile devices.

"Rawr XD"

huh nice

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

I love love love love love. LOVE! my Samsung S3.  Not sure if I want to, or even need to upgrade.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

The first galaxy s in the US had the Samsung hummingbird soc which was way ahead of everything else back then.

Nope, it has been proven to be less powerful than intels mobile chips, and qualcoms. And they probably lied about its performance

WHAT? nVidia lying about something? Impossible! 

lol

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

85%* And uses 20 watts more power

Huh? 3.5/4 gb of ram is 87.5%? 

I'd rather have a tegra x1... Its fine though because i'd never buy a Samsung device.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I'd rather have a tegra x1... Its fine though because i'd never buy a Samsung device.

Why not?

Also, it's stupid to say you would rather have the X1 because we don't know how good either of these chips might be.