Is this a good 970 overclock?

Tim Drake

Maybe OC it to 1500, it's capable

Sometimes my current one goes up to 1500MHz and then I add what's needed and it goes back down.

Will do that then see if it works.

Sometimes my current one goes up to 1500MHz and then I add what's needed and it goes back down.

Will do that then see if it works.

What do you mean by that? :)

Have fun finding out how far it will go if you like but you might want to do a lil bit of research first. I use an earlier driver because the newer ones don't let me play 'Yuri's revenge' at 2560 x 1600. I've had my monies worth outta that game. :)

Here's a couple of 'stock clock' screenies from mine. The lower temps are from being watercooled.

msipic.jpg

msi%20pic.jpg

Well i managed to get this on stock voltage, so im sure you could push yours abit further. This is full load

post-8201-0-11041100-1424086083_thumb.jp

CPU Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VIII | GPU MSI GTX 970 | RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz | Cooling Noctua NH-D15 | Storage 240GB Crucial M500; 2TB Seagate Barracuda | PSU EVGA 850w | Case Phatek Enthoo Pro M Acrylic

But high voltage is bad :(

Doesn't really matter with GPUs that much, sure it's going to shorten the life of the card a little bit (you'll probably replace the card before it becomes a problem) and the cards can't go above a certain voltage on the stock bios anyway making it basically impossible to put too much voltage through it unless you stick a modded BIOS on the card.

I would love to watercool mine but warranties..

Warranties? You take the fan cooler off, reapply better thermal paste and put the waterblock on. If it dies, you remove the waterblock and put the fan cooler back on and take it from there. There's no seals on a GPU (although it's probably only a question of time) Whose to know?

To be fair, I think that it's acceptable to remove the fans and 'upgrade' things. Many enthusiasts swap out the TIM (Thermal Interface Material) for better performing stuff. Yours may well benefit from doing that. :)

Warranties? You take the fan cooler off, reapply better thermal paste and put the waterblock on. If it dies, you remove the waterblock and put the fan cooler back on and take it from there. There's no seals on a GPU (although it's probably only a question of time) Whose to know?

To be fair, I think that it's acceptable to remove the fans and 'upgrade' things. Many enthusiasts swap out the TIM (Thermal Interface Material) for better performing stuff. Yours may well benefit from doing that. :)

Only way I would watercool would be NZXT G10 and a Seidon 120M or something.

Waterloops scare the shit out of me.

I would love to watercool mine but warranties..

I'm pretty sure XFX covers you with WCing.

I'll find something from their website.

** XFX has carefully selected the optimal thermal or fansink component for your graphics card model.  We do not encourage the removal of components due to damage that may result in the process. XFX understands that some enthusiasts may choose to replace the original component with their own cooling solution. To support the gaming community, we recommend that you contact XFX prior to any modifications so that we can update your profile and product registration to avoid potential issues with warranty support.  In addition, XFX support will be able to walk through the installation with you or provide feedback and pointers on available options for your specific product.  You may even consider shipping your components to XFX and allow the technicians at XFX to perform the modification for you (shipping charges to XFX apply).

- See more at: http://xfxforce.com/en-us/support/xfx-warranty#sthash.9NCfdhqk.ydIXlIsI.dpuf

I'm pretty sure XFX covers you with WCing.

I'll find something from their website.

** XFX has carefully selected the optimal thermal or fansink component for your graphics card model.  We do not encourage the removal of components due to damage that may result in the process. XFX understands that some enthusiasts may choose to replace the original component with their own cooling solution. To support the gaming community, we recommend that you contact XFX prior to any modifications so that we can update your profile and product registration to avoid potential issues with warranty support.  In addition, XFX support will be able to walk through the installation with you or provide feedback and pointers on available options for your specific product.  You may even consider shipping your components to XFX and allow the technicians at XFX to perform the modification for you (shipping charges to XFX apply).

- See more at: http://xfxforce.com/en-us/support/xfx-warranty#sthash.9NCfdhqk.ydIXlIsI.dpuf

I don't have an XFX graphics card..

Waterloops scare the shit out of me.

Just swap out the TIM and learn as you go then. The stock TIM is pretty underwhelming. You don't need to tell anyone and it's not a 'big job'. :)

DSC09163.jpg

well on my 970 i managed 1500MHz without touching power target and voltage and haven't tried  any further so  

fY0Dv.jpg

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

well on my 970 i managed 1500MHz without touching power target and voltage and haven't tried  any further so  

Mine starts crashing games but I have a bad feeling that it's my power supply...

I doubt it though.

Just swap out the TIM and learn as you go then. The stock TIM is pretty underwhelming. You don't need to tell anyone and it's not a 'big job'. :)

You mean the Thermal Paste?

Nah i'm good, I tried that before but I never do it right and only make it worse.

I don't have an XFX graphics card..

I must've confused this thread with another one then.

My card starts to crash games at 1500MHz so..

If your comfortable with adding some more voltage then go ahead, but if you want to keep it at stock like I do, then just keep clocking back the core until it's stable. If games are outright crashing then its a core clock issue (atleast thats what it was with mine) so just keep backing it up by about 5mhz until its stable. Some people do better with the silicon lottery than others so your choice is to either add some more volts until its stable at a frequency that your happy with or to back it down; you wont notice much fps difference with a few mhz difference tbh.

CPU Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VIII | GPU MSI GTX 970 | RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz | Cooling Noctua NH-D15 | Storage 240GB Crucial M500; 2TB Seagate Barracuda | PSU EVGA 850w | Case Phatek Enthoo Pro M Acrylic

Well i managed to get this on stock voltage, so im sure you could push yours abit further. This is full load

Here's my stock settings, as shown in the pic earlier.

msipic.jpg

Some upwards tweaking, still on stock voltage.

Msi%20score%20cutout.jpg

I could try pushing it further, as you can see that the waterblock is holding great temps. However, the overclocks aren't needed yet. So, I'll back it off to stock settings until I do. It's a great card for the bucks it cost. :)

Here's my stock settings, as shown in the pic earlier.

msipic.jpg

Some upwards tweaking, still on stock voltage.

Msi%20score%20cutout.jpg

I could try pushing it further, as you can see that the waterblock is holding great temps. However, the overclocks aren't needed yet. So, I'll back it off to stock settings until I do. It's a great card for the bucks it cost. :)

I had to back mine down abit yesterday and its on a core of +175. Do you know how to work out the actual memory clock? Because i know that 4000 isnt the actual clock of it...

I had to back mine down abit yesterday and its on a core of +175. Do you know how to work out the actual memory clock? Because i know that 4000 isnt the actual clock of it...

Nope. But let me know if you find out. :)