What do you think is the best 8gb ddr3 ram stick?

Go to solution Solved by TheKDub,

I'm going to be upgrading my ram today from an amazing 4gb of ddr2 to a terrible 16gb from 2 8gm ddr3 sticks. I'm looking for just 2 sticks that run at 1600mhz nothing insanely fancy, but there's so many choices out there. So I came to the wonderful community that is Linus tech tips and wanted to ask, What do you think is the best/most reliable ram brand out there?

RAM is RAM.

I'm going to be upgrading my ram today from an amazing 4gb of ddr2 to a terrible 16gb from 2 8gm ddr3 sticks. I'm looking for just 2 sticks that run at 1600mhz nothing insanely fancy, but there's so many choices out there. So I came to the wonderful community that is Linus tech tips and wanted to ask, What do you think is the best/most reliable ram brand out there?

GPU - 2x GTX 970 g1 gaming (sli) CPU - I5 4690k 4.6Ghz Cooler - Kraken x61 PSU - Corsair ax760 RAM - 32gb Corsair vengeance pro 2400mhz Storage - 730 Series SSD 240gb Case - Phantek enthoo pro

Anything on the market will do perfectly fine mate. I like going with Kingston but that is only personal preference. What I would do is look for the cheapest 2x4GB kit and buy it. Even if it is 1,066MHz or 1,333MHz, it won't make any real difference.

It will still be a decent improvement over the DDR2 you're running currently.

What motherboard do you have? I hope you're aware that DDR2 and DDR3 aren't compatible with each other.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Brand doesn't really matter. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It varies a lot depending on prices at the time but personally I like the G. Skill RipjawsX 1600MHz because that's always cheaper than other stuff here in NZ

RAM is RAM.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Unlike CPUs, ram architecture is all the same: DDR3. All 1600MHz 9 CAS DDR3 memory will perform identically. Also, for most tasks including gaming, RAM performance doesn't change anything, so long as you have sufficient amount.

The only real difference between the different brands is failure rates (almost all are really low) and appearance.

Also, I assume this is for an entirely new build right? You can't just replace DDR2 memory with DDR3. It doesn't work that way.

for the price, G. Skill Sniper is sorta sexy :P and im pretty sure you can pick up 8 gigs of 1866 for the same price of 1600

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

This is the cheapest 2x4GB DDR3 on PartPicker. I must say that it looks pretty beasty though my previous question about the motherboard still stands.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31600c11d8gis

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

This is the cheapest 2x4GB DDR3 on PartPicker. I must say that it looks pretty beasty though my previous question about the motherboard still stands.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31600c11d8gis

Im upgrading the motherboard as well but that was already final, its a Gigabyte z97x ud3h.

GPU - 2x GTX 970 g1 gaming (sli) CPU - I5 4690k 4.6Ghz Cooler - Kraken x61 PSU - Corsair ax760 RAM - 32gb Corsair vengeance pro 2400mhz Storage - 730 Series SSD 240gb Case - Phantek enthoo pro

As was already mentioned, RAM is RAM. Most chips on the market are Samsung chips, it's more of a question of looks vs price.