Game Development

I am interested in tinkering with Game Design. I have an idea that I want to put into game form but I do not know much about programming. So, I am looking for a simple engine that will look good graphic wise and has flexibility to make a polished working game.

My question is, what Engine should I try and start my game on? I am looking for the simplest and most features included engine.

Thanks!

I am interested in tinkering with Game Design. I have an idea that I want to put into game form but I do not know much about programming. So, I am looking for a simple engine that will look good graphic wise and has flexibility to make a polished working game.

My question is, what Engine should I try and start my game on? I am looking for the simplest and most features included engine.

Thanks!

2D or 3D?

For 2D, possibly GameMaker to try it all out, but you should really move on to others.

For 3D: Unity3D and possibly later something like Unreal Engine.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2D or 3D?

For 2D, possibly GameMaker to try it all out, but you should really move on to others.

For 3D: Unity3D and possibly later something like Unreal Engine.

Yeah I would like for it to be 3D, any tips with Unity3D?

Well, I could suggest making your models in 3DS Max and converting them to .obj models. 

Either way, just try to make some stuff. Remember, you can use Javascript and C#. So if you Google solutions or tutorials, be sure to choose the right language.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

most 2D engines are just drag and drop and almost no line of code needed. 

so for 2D i'd go for Monkey X 

for 3D id go unity.

first of all, having a friend who's a veteran in unity is probably the best thing. if you don't have one reading the documentation/scripting reference for unity is a very daunting task at first

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

Bucky has a tutorial for UDK, maybe have a look at this, his tutorials are really nice and easy to follow.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Unity3D is very easy to use and intuitive. It also is very powerful for its purpose and reasonably priced if you need the pro features. UDK is also reasonably easy to use and is feature rich. 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

• 2 weeks later...

honestly for 3d games i'd use unreal engine 4. the marketplace is good but a little small, but once you get to know what you're doing you can make some pretty cool things and it looks fantastic. also, its $19 a month for a subscribtion but you just need to pay the first time, and then cancel and then subscribe again whenever there's an update and it will still work even when you're not paying. just a tip to save some money. definitely worth it though. and they also have some pretty good tutorials. they have their own youtube channel with a lot of detailed videos to help you get used to the program. you should check that out and go watch some of their tutorial videos before you decide to pay for it. good luck with your search.

Just a normal guy with a constant desire to modify everything he owns. 

Check out my current build here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006447-the-cake-is-a-lie-water-cooled-portal-pc/

Unityl, Unreal engine and gamemaker are powerful tools. Use them wiseley, messiah! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I would check Unreal engine as its free now duh. 

2D: Game Maker: Studio

3D: Unreal Engine

Both are free

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

If you want to learn programming, go for something smaller than Unreal, Unity or Game maker, these are becoming massive drag and drop engines, and while you can code in them, you don't have to.

For 2D, look up SFML, for 3D look up something like Ogre3D. They require programming, and while not as popular, they have the functionality to produce full games.

On top of that I'd just look for generic programming tutorials, so you can learn about how programming in general, which is a must.