LG G3 root and rom

BuntzenB

Hi,

So I'm getting the G3 tomorrow and I wish to be prepared to root and install a custom rom (really thinking about cyanogenmod). I am getting the sprint US version (LS990). I am new to the whole smartphone game so any help is very appreciated. First, how should I go about rooting it. And second what is the deal with cyanogenmod 12 and is our supported for my phone and how do I install it and what is it and stuff. Plus what are some recommended apps, recommended roms, keyboards, cool 1440p backgrounds, camera apps(that support raw), and other things that you think I should get or need.

Thanks do much for all help. (Also I already read the how to root and rom plus faqs but it wasn't so specific or helpful for me)

Hi,

So I'm getting the G3 tomorrow and I wish to be prepared to root and install a custom rom (really thinking about cyanogenmod). I am getting the sprint US version (LS990). I am new to the whole smartphone game so any help is very appreciated. First, how should I go about rooting it. And second what is the deal with cyanogenmod 12 and is our supported for my phone and how do I install it and what is it and stuff. Plus what are some recommended apps, recommended roms, keyboards, cool 1440p backgrounds, camera apps(that support raw), and other things that you think I should get or need.

Thanks do much for all help. (Also I already read the how to root and rom plus faqs but it wasn't so specific or helpful for me)

If you're new to smartphones, give the stock launcher a try. It really is pretty good.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

stay on the stock rom as long as possible since you may lose warranty by flashing CM 12 and currently I would stick with Android 4.4 and not upgrade to 5.0 if I had the choice, since 5.0 is BS and just added more clicks to everything. 

App wise you'll  have to see yourself what works the best for you. I use perfect keyboard free and used to run ProCapture to take pictures, but now I'm using stock android keyboard and camera. For wallpapers I really love the app called Freshbacks. With it you can select your favorite categories and the app will download 10 new backgrounds for each day at a given time and surprising you with really high quality, scaled images.

If you're new to smartphones, give the stock launcher a try. It really is pretty good.

I was thinking about that but my friend who has the g3 said that the stock rom is glitchy. Also do you have any advice on anything elselb like how to root or some good downloads or anything?

I was thinking about that but my friend who has the g3 said that the stock rom is glitchy. Also do you have any advice on anything elselb like how to root or some good downloads or anything?

I use it stock, and I've never had glitching after the first software updates. I'd say give it a try on stock first, then look into rooting.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

stay on the stock rom as long as possible since you may lose warranty by flashing CM 12 and currently I would stick with Android 4.4 and not upgrade to 5.0 if I had the choice, since 5.0 is BS and just added more clicks to everything. 

App wise you'll  have to see yourself what works the best for you. I use perfect keyboard free and used to run ProCapture to take pictures, but now I'm using stock android keyboard and camera. For wallpapers I really love the app called Freshbacks. With it you can select your favorite categories and the app will download 10 new backgrounds for each day at a given time and surprising you with really high quality, scaled images.

Thanks dude!!!

5.0 was pretty bad on it yesterday but i got an update today and it's fixed basically all my complaints with it.

XDA forums would probs be the best place to ask these questions tho.

5.0 was pretty bad on it yesterday but i got an update today and it's fixed basically all my complaints with it.

I like the buttons. And yes the majoroty is fixed, I use it i.c.w. the google now launcher and it works like a charm.

Interested in Business and Technology

an app I also find necessary is ES File Explorer (basically like windows explorer, lots of functions), a different browser ( I use boat browser, but Dolphin and Puffin are also good. on my old phone chrome didn't run too well, but I haven't tried it on my S4), if you want to run office applications you can download WPS office and for Email I use Maildroid

@BuntzenB , I have the G3 also (D855) and what I'm planning on doing is to wait for the new LG G3 tweak-box that's compatible with lollipop and then root it. The G3 rom is actually so good IMO that the tweak-box is more than enough for me. The only reason why I would want a custom rom is for the additional privacy features and to change the I/O govenor etc.

@BuntzenB , I have the G3 also (D855) and what I'm planning on doing is to wait for the new LG G3 tweak-box that's compatible with lollipop and then root it. The G3 rom is actually so good IMO that the tweak-box is more than enough for me. The only reason why I would want a custom rom is for the additional privacy features and to change the I/O govenor etc.

Wow thanks fur the input. I also want a custom Rom for overclocking and stuff similar to what you were saying. Plus I believe that cyan12 gives me lollipop whole in the U.S. It hasn't been pushed

Wow thanks fur the input. I also want a custom Rom for overclocking and stuff similar to what you were saying. Plus I believe that cyan12 gives me lollipop whole in the U.S. It hasn't been pushed

LG's implementation is among the best, I wouldn't consider a ROM for at least a few months, you won't get to enjoy features like Dual-Windows and inegrated miracast support etc. etc. And it should be pushed to US within two weeks so be patient. And you can OC without a custom ROM, you just need to root the device .

For more info go to XDA developers, they are the authority in the android world. 

Do up have experience rooting it??

I've rooted countless devices, but I haven't touched my G3 yet, you could say she is still a virgin :P. The good this is that I can root it blindfolded if I have to :P

I've rooted countless devices, but I haven't touched my G3 yet, you could say she is still a virgin :P. The good this is that I can root it blindfolded if I have to :P

How would you root it?

How would you root it?

Unlock bootloader.

Install custom recovery ( I actually prefer CWM over TWRP)

Factory reset

Flash ROM

Flash Gapps

Flash SU ( Very uncommon, it's most likely included with the rom.)

Wipe cache . Dalvik cashe etc.

Reboot

Unlock bootloader.

Install custom recovery ( I actually prefer CWM over TWRP)

Factory reset

Flash ROM

Flash Gapps

Flash SU ( Very uncommon, it's most likely included with the rom.)

Wipe cache . Dalvik cashe etc.

Reboot

1. How to unlock boot loader?

2. Flash which ROM? I just want to root

Sorry I'm a newbie at this

1. How to unlock boot loader?

2. Flash which ROM? I just want to root

Sorry I'm a newbie at this

I did it on purpouse. I can explain it but the best way to learn how to do it is to go to http://www.xda-developers.com/and learn and read. 

I did it on purpouse. I can explain it but the best way to learn how to do it is to go to http://www.xda-developers.com/and learn and read.

Can you point me to a specific article because I did some digging and found diddly squat.

Bump - any help with a link or a description on how to keep stock ROM and gain root access? Thanks

The G3 is extremely easy to root. Trust me, I know, I have the Verizon G3 (VS985). The root method is the same though.

Follow the instructions in this XDA thread for rooting. The program does everything for you for the most part, so don't worry about it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2776198

For just about any and all LS990 ROMs, visit its XDA page.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/sprint-lg-g3

There is no official CyanogenMod build for the LS990 though. I'm sure there's an unofficial version though. If not, there's plenty of other ROMs out there.

COMIC SANS

Bump - any help with a link or a description on how to keep stock ROM and gain root access? Thanks

Just follow this root method will work.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2776198

If your firmware version is too new, then you'll have to use this root method.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g3/orig-development/root-stump-root-lg-g3-sprint-verizon-t2850906

What this will do is root your phone and install the Superuser app (although you should download the SuperSU app from the Play Store). You'll still be on stock and you'll still receive notifications from Sprint on updates for your phone. DO NOT download those updates. They can *potentially* brick your phone and/or cause you to lose root.

There are, however, stock ROMs that have the automated Sprint updates disabled. So flash this ROM instead.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/sprint-lg-g3/development/rom-stock-zv6-base-odex-deodex-t2949087

COMIC SANS

If I were you I would backup the stock ROM before you flash a custom ROM. You can find the stock ROM on the Internet but the entire process is pretty lengthy. Restoring a backup via TWRP or other custom recovery is pretty easy in comparison.