Noppoo Choc Mini reviewed (x-post from /r/MechanicalKeyboards)

Ningeal

This is my review I posted on Reddit a couple of days ago. Thought you guys might appreciate. Just CRTLC'd and CTRLV'd.

Hello click-clackers,

As some of you might know I have purchased a Noppoo Choc Mini a few weeks ago and Ripster asked me to write a review once I have tested it thoroughly, so here it is:

The keyboard: I bought my keyboard (Cherry MX brown, laser-etched PBT) from Amazon for 103 EUR, I will comment on that later.

The Noppoo Choc Mini is a wired (gold-plated USB 2.0, not detachable) small form factor keyboard with 84 keys. The keyboard feels solidly constructed, has just a tiny pinch of flex to it - yet again, I am a hefty guy and applied quite some force onto it. I have not had the chance to get my hands on other TKL keyboards but this keyboard feels relatively heavy in relation to its size.

Due to its form factor, the keys are accordingly small and seem to be smaller in general compared to regular cherry mx keys:

• Some modifers and (especially) the space bar use rather unorthodox sizes. You might need search more intensively if you want to change your keycaps. I ordered a R1 key from QWERkeys to substitue my ESC key, but its a tiny bit taller than the other R1 keys.
  • shibbyllama asked Note that I come from a German full size ISO keyboard; I'd say it took me about two days to get used to the layout in general. I still make some mistakes due to the old habbit (been using German ISOs for like 10+ years now)

You can access various functions such as disabling the windows key, swapping left CTRL with CAPS or the integrated numpad via the FN key.

As I mentioned above, this is the white PBT version of the Noppoo, so this might not be applicable to the black POM version (NOTE:this part is rather subjective):

• The laser-etching does not seem to wear off any soon ( I have been using the keyboard intensively for about two weeks and I have really really sweaty hands)
  • The keys feel awesome; I do not feel uncomfortable using them for longer periods and they do not become uncomfortable (i.e. slippy, oily) either

The switches are mounted to a steel plate, which has not been painted in any way - only if you look closely, you will be able to see bits shining through between the key spaces, so it should not bother you much.

----------------------------------------

My take on MX browns: I think this is something you really should see for yourself, no text or video review will ever provide sufficient information to make your decision, I am talking from personal experience because I used to ask this myself. So try to get your hands on some switches and test them.

But since people keep asking, I will try my best to explain. Note that I come from blues (Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2012) and blacks (Steelseries 6GV2), so I think I can give you some useful information (NOTE: this part is rather subjective as well):

• I love the MX browns
  • They're amazing for typing and gaming, double-tapping is no issue at all
  • I must admit that I had to get used to the lowest (next to MX reds) required actuation force (45g) at first; I tended to actuate random keys by accident but now that I got used to it, I can type with ease. I got a Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition with MX blues and keys like backspace, enter or R shift are relatively difficult for my pinky to press down (not exactly difficult but definately require a tiny bit of more force). My fingers fatigued rather quickly when I typed on MX blacks.

Mods: ESC key & O-Rings Thank you QWERKeys for the Power Button II and thank you WASDKeyboards for the A50R o-rings, both products are aweosme!

The o-rings remove the 'clack' noise from the PBTs crashing against the steel plate and turn the sound to a 'thud'. They're amazing for me or shall I say my neighbours who used to complain about my precious keyboards' noises... Key travel distance is slightly reduced, but the feeling has almost not changed at all.

O-ring installed onto the Power Button 2 key cap stem

Final overview of my Noppoo Choc Mini

Final thoughts: I really love the small form factor, which still has a numpad and media keys, even though they're accessed by the FN button and the PBTs are equally amazing. Although I must say I fee like this keyboard should not have costed 103 EUR, it rather should cost around ~80 EUR frankly said.

Please bare with me, since this is my first review. I would appreciate any tips and feedback.

Of course to feel free to comment and ask me anything if you feel like.

Glad to see a fellow /r/MechanicalKeyboard subscriber here :)

Nice review as well!

I have the black version of this keyboard with blue switches. It was my second mechanical keyboard which my first was a Black Widow Ultimate 2013 edition which I will never even think about again, that thing's longer keys had stiff pressing on the corners which annoyed me so bad I had to take it back and bought this for 90$ instead of the BWU which after tax and warranty for 15 dollars cost around 160$ lol.

Anyways I love my Choc Mini, for gaming I wouldn't use anything else, the small form factor and how the F keys are directly above the number keys is a nice perk instead of trying to reach way up above the gap that normally comes with keyboards. + I love that no matter where you press the keys they all push down the exact same, space bar, backspace etc.

+ All that desk space you save <3

I have the black version of this keyboard with blue switches. It was my second mechanical keyboard which my first was a Black Widow Ultimate 2013 edition which I will never even think about again, that thing's longer keys had stiff pressing on the corners which annoyed me so bad I had to take it back and bought this for 90$ instead of the BWU which after tax and warranty for 15 dollars cost around 160$ lol.

Anyways I love my Choc Mini, for gaming I wouldn't use anything else, the small form factor and how the F keys are directly above the number keys is a nice perk instead of trying to reach way up above the gap that normally comes with keyboards. + I love that no matter where you press the keys they all push down the exact same, space bar, backspace etc.

Can you tell me how do the POM keycaps feel?

Smooth ? Idk what you mean really. They keys feel good, the pictures on amazon where I got it from don't do it justice.

is that a razer goliathus extended i see in the pic? lol that ''mouse'' (more desk rly) pad must look huge compared to this mini keyboard!

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

I actually mean the plastic quality. I just wonder how POMs feel compared to ABS and PBT. But nevermind. XD

is that a razer goliathus extended i see in the pic? lol that ''mouse'' (more desk rly) pad must look huge compared to this mini keyboard!
Yup, I could fit like two and a half noppoo choc minis on there (length-wise), lol.

I actually mean the plastic quality. I just wonder how POMs feel compared to ABS and PBT. But nevermind. XD

The main thing I like about them is they don't collect dirt / grime barely at all compared to my last keyboard. Had to clean it often, this one never seems to pick up the dead skin etc off of my fingers.

Hah, sounds amazing. Just like mine.