removing fan grills on top of fractal R4

Vacsol

recently Ive been considering removing the hex-shaped fan grills on top of the fractal Definre R4 and having a pull setup with the fans on the outside and radiator on the inside. I would then add some metal wire fan grills on top of the fans

Should I just dremel the hex-shaped fan grills off?

post-108244-0-39185700-1423450961.png

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Dremel would probably be the easiest, but make sure to grind it and make it really nice after.  Keep in mind it'll effect some of the structural integrity as the top of the R4 is pretty flimsy to begin with.

They also make fancy radiator cover things, that's probably easier.  It basically adds a small shroud onto the top of the case, where you can put the fans & hide them with the shroud.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Dremel would probably be the easiest, but make sure to grind it and make it really nice after.  Keep in mind it'll effect some of the structural integrity as the top of the R4 is pretty flimsy to begin with.

They also make fancy radiator cover things, that's probably easier.  It basically adds a small shroud onto the top of the case, where you can put the fans & hide them with the shroud.

I just don't want the extra airflow restriction of the hex grills between the fans and the radiator.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

I just don't want the extra airflow restriction of the hex grills between the fans and the radiator.

This is not a very noticeable difference, because hex fan grill is the most optimal grill form u can get nowadays. Remember, that u can cut it off, but u won't be able to stick it together.

Anyways: u can use metal scissors  also, top is not as thick as side panels. You can also do what I did for one customer: mount rad outside of the case and drill holes for tubing in the rear.

P.S. I've seen u wanna place rad in front of R4, so this is how to do it easier: removed this 'fan cage' away and used corners to screw rad to the case, so it was very stable. If u stick the rad to fans in this 'fan cage', there can be problems with some vibrations.

This is not a very noticeable difference, because hex fan grill is the most optimal grill form u can get nowadays. Remember, that u can cut it off, but u won't be able to stick it together.

Anyways: u can use metal scissors  also, top is not as thick as side panels. You can also do what I did for one customer: mount rad outside of the case and drill holes for tubing in the rear.

P.S. I've seen u wanna place rad in front of R4, so this is how to do it easier: removed this 'fan cage' away and used corners to screw rad to the case, so it was very stable. If u stick the rad to fans in this 'fan cage', there can be problems with some vibrations.

I had my old R4's rad in the front with the fan. yeah it was loud. NNIX is sending me a H220X which must be top mounted