Has anybody done this?

Tie Lightning

Hey guys, so I'm going to preface this by saying that I took 3d modeling classes and became quite good at it. So what I want to do it have my pc a meter or 2 away and have a box under my monitor with all my io (USB, card reader, optical, and such) and I was planning to 3d print this hub that would hold everything inside but I ran into a snag. I can't seem to find anywhere that sells the io components I need to put into the hub. I want to plug all these things unto my motherboard but I can't find somewhere that sells for example a female USB 2.0 port that connects to my mobo. Has anyone else tried something like this and how did you get that parts to do it? Thanks

CPU: AMD FX-6300     COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO    MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0    RAM: Team Vulcan 8Gb (4Gb x 2) , G-Skill Sniper (4Gb x 2)    PSU: Rosewill HIVE-750w    GPU: ASUS HD 7790 2Gb OC    CASE: NZXT Phantom 410    STORAGE: WD Black 1Tb , Intel 530 120Gb     AUDIO: HyperX Cloud , Sennheiser HD 518 , Audio Technica ATH-M30 , Sennheiser MM30G , Yamaha RX-V361 , Pioneer SP-BS22     PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge     PERIPHERALS: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic , Logitech g502 ( Thanks Syntaxvgm <3 )

Hey guys, so I'm going to preface this by saying that I took 3d modeling classes and became quite good at it. So what I want to do it have my pc a meter or 2 away and have a box under my monitor with all my io (USB, card reader, optical, and such) and I was planning to 3d print this hub that would hold everything inside but I ran into a snag. I can't seem to find anywhere that sells the io components I need to put into the hub. I want to plug all these things unto my motherboard but I can't find somewhere that sells for example a female USB 2.0 port that connects to my mobo. Has anyone else tried something like this and how did you get that parts to do it? Thanks

What I would recommend for you is to find a rubber grommet that leads to the outside of the case or cut a hole in it. Grab a giant hollow tube and connect all your wires through it such as SATA power and data, plus a USB type A to header like this http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Motherboard-4-Pin-Header-USBMBADAPT/dp/B000IV6S9S/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_img_z

Feed the other end of that hollow tube into a cardboard box or a 3D printed box and then plug in your USB hub, optical drive, and such...

You might want to grab some extensions since you wanted your PC to be 1-2 meters away....

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

What I would recommend for you is to find a rubber grommet that leads to the outside of the case or cut a hole in it. Grab a giant hollow tube and connect all your wires through it such as SATA power and data, plus a USB type A to header like this http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Motherboard-4-Pin-Header-USBMBADAPT/dp/B000IV6S9S/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_img_z

Feed the other end of that hollow tube into a cardboard box or a 3D printed box and then plug in your USB hub, optical drive, and such...

You might want to grab some extensions since you were wanted your PC to be 1-2 meters away....

Thanks! I think I'll try the extensions and see if that works with tubing:)

CPU: AMD FX-6300     COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO    MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0    RAM: Team Vulcan 8Gb (4Gb x 2) , G-Skill Sniper (4Gb x 2)    PSU: Rosewill HIVE-750w    GPU: ASUS HD 7790 2Gb OC    CASE: NZXT Phantom 410    STORAGE: WD Black 1Tb , Intel 530 120Gb     AUDIO: HyperX Cloud , Sennheiser HD 518 , Audio Technica ATH-M30 , Sennheiser MM30G , Yamaha RX-V361 , Pioneer SP-BS22     PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge     PERIPHERALS: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic , Logitech g502 ( Thanks Syntaxvgm <3 )