Skyrim cheap?

soup

I do virtually no gaming (I have played little flash games etc) but I decided that when not working I want to game for maybe half an hour at a time.

To this end, I have purchased a GTX 970 (yes even after VRAMgate) and I had a wee look on Amazon and saw a pc version (with media) of Skyrim advertised at £16  I thought games were in the £40 region, is Skyrim just an expansion pack of Elder scrolls? 

I am more elderly than most (52) and feel that 'twitch' games would just be frustrating as I do not have hair trigger reactions anymore, and I would die a lot.  Are there any recomendations for someone's first AAA title?

Rough specs to show what I am working with

GTX 970 (Strix)with a 4790K (can be used stock or OCed) @ 1080p(27")

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Valve Complete Pack when it goes on sale

Because he had a hard drive.

-snip-

Skyrim is loads of fun and I would recommend it for PC.

It is much more than an expansion to Oblivion or Morrowind.

I have about 400 hours in it. 

The DLC's are fun too. 16 quid is decent for the game. I got legendary for like 15 euros.

By the way, your system can easily run Skyrim. You can even mod it :D

EDIT: Mirror's Edge and Sonic Generations is pretty fun too

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I do virtually no gaming (I have played little flash games etc) but I decided that when not working I want to game for maybe half an hour at a time.

To this end, I have purchased a GTX 970 (yes even after VRAMgate) and I had a wee look on Amazon and saw a pc version (with media) of Skyrim advertised at £16  I thought games were in the £40 region, is Skyrim just an expansion pack of Elder scrolls? 

I am more elderly than most and feel that 'twitch' games would just be frustrating as I do not have hair trigger reactions anymore, and I would die a lot.  Are there any recomendations for someone's first AAA title?

lol welcome to the PCMasterace.

seriously steam sales are your friend unless you go nuts. Why do you do this to me gaben?

As for games, pick what you enjoy. not only is everything available on PC it's all usable as well. no glitchy gamepad strategy interface. If you need an extra key for something in an first person shooter, then assign the button where your fingers fall naturally. Having said that...

Strategy Civilization5

FPS: Battlefield (4, or the hardline beta(t's free atm)) Borderlands franchise (yet to make a bad one)

RPG: dragon age inquisition, or mass effect collection

Old school RPG: divinity origonl sin, or blackguards,

If you're set on skyrim it's a very good game in it's base form it rises to the level of epic when you start running mods for it. install SKSE (skyrim script extender) and go nuts. with your hardware you should be able to run almost anything you want.

BF2 Project Reality and ARMA

no, no and no

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

I got skyrim off steam for $8, one of my friends got legendary edition for $5 or so I think too, also off steam.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

i suggest you look for deals elsewhere also, not just steam sales

some games can be bought cheaper, even when steam has it on sales

i think i paid like 4€ for skyrim on g2a

games i suggest, portal and portal 2, great games to exercise your brain and it doesn't really require lightning fast reactions

but i wouldn't know what games suit you, if you like puzzles, it's definitely one of the best out there

fps...i really liked borderlands (tho the graphics are somthing you either hate or love, when i saw gameplay on youtube, i said myself i'd never be playing that, but i loved it after few hours of playing), the first one, the 2nd i hated it, didn't even finish it, but i still play the first one, even after i finished everything :D

and skyrim is also a great game, tho, if you start adding mods, you're spend more time moding it, than playing it :D

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

lol welcome to the PCMasterace.

Not a newcomer to PCs just gaming .

Can I get "masterace" (sounds a bit Hitlerian[oops, I just lost]) on a T shirt?  :D

THANKS ALL!!

"This too shall pass"

~30 minutes minutes is next to nothing in skyrim. It takes a lot of time of modding if you want it to look sweet, and actually playing the game,

I'd rather get shorter, more cinematic games like the Bioshock series. They don't require a lot of fast reaction and the story is really great.

Edit: you can skip bioshock 2 if you want to. it has the better gameplay than bioshock 1 but the story is mostly told in the 1st part. At least the part of the story that you need in order to appreciate the mindblows in bioshock infinite.

who cares...

It is much more than an expansion to Oblivion or Morrowind.

So I don't need  Elder scrolls installed then to play the Skyrim 'chapter'?

So a version of elder scrolls (as I assume are Elder scrolls:Oblivion , Elder scrolls :Morrowind )then rather than an expansion pack

"This too shall pass"

Not a newcomer to PCs just gaming .

Can I get "masterace" (sounds a bit Hitlerian[oops, I just lost]) on a T shirt?  :D

THANKS ALL!!

Yes, just ask linus, or logan. I'm sure they have different versions, and probably a few different colours.

Strongly recommend getting skyrim legendary edition as it is the base game and ALL the official DLCs together(dawngaurd, dragonborn, hearthfire).  And after playing some of the vanilla game, visit nexusmods.com to make skyrim your own unique game.

A big reason for recommending getting all the official DLCs off the bat is because more and more mods, and especially the most desired ones, require assets from the DLCs.

Tomb Raider 2013 GOTY edition.  Grab it when it's on sale, absolutely worth it.  The folks at crystal dynamics did a masterful job making a clean cut superbly optimized final product.  To borrow a quote from cerialkiller "The code is so neat and clean, it's like a hacker wrote it".  Basically the german engineering of game software IMO.

My only gripe are 2 of the flash events but that is more because of my system, and thankfully they're few and far between.

I always remembered them for legacy of kain and loved their standards in story telling there, but tomb raider is different.  Not like the other side of the coin different, but a different coin altogether.  yet feels like the same anal retentive no compromises attention to detail some how.  That's probably just me though as the games are nearly 2 decades apart.

Mass Effect 1,2,3.  Get the high rez texture packs for mass effect 1 and start the episodic journey.

[may contains spoilers, just watch enough to see texture improvements]

BTW, there are no other games when you play skyrim(modded), and no such thing as a half hour a day either :P

I want to game for maybe half an hour at a time.

twitch' games would just be frustrating

Hearthstone? Animal Crossing (not PC)?

Skyrim is an excellent game, but I could never just play 30 minutes at a time. You can save at any time though.

Minesweeper? Solitaire?

Skyrim is an excellent game, but I could never just play 30 minutes at a time.

Minesweeper? Solitaire?

30 minutes does seem a bit short.

Minesweeper~never been able to get into and Solitaire is more mental chewing gum than a game (to me), and they are hardly AAA.

The more I look about at Skyrim the more it seems people spend all their time modding it rather than playing it.

Bioshock rather than Skyrim, for ½ to 1 hour?  Don't want to spend all day playing when I should be doing something.

"This too shall pass"

Tomb Raider 2013 GOTY edition.  Grab it when it's on sale, absolutely worth it.  The folks at crystal dynamics did a masterful job making a clean cut superbly optimized final product.  To borrow a quote from cerialkiller "The code is so neat and clean, it's like a hacker wrote it".  Basically the german engineering of game software IMO.

My only gripe are 2 of the flash events but that is more because of my system, and thankfully they're few and far between.

I always remembered them for legacy of kain and loved their standards in story telling there, but tomb raider is different.  Not like the other side of the coin different, but a different coin altogether.  yet feels like the same anal retentive no compromises attention to detail some how.  That's probably just me though as the games are nearly 2 decades apart.

@MoonSpot

R.I.P My steam wallet :(

HIJidSF.png

I am more elderly than most (52) and feel that 'twitch' games would just be frustrating as I do not have hair trigger reactions anymore, and I would die a lot.  Are there any recomendations for someone's first AAA title?

Skyrim is a full release, and it's a huge game. But it's several years old now, and old games (provided they aren't published by Activision) tend to get very cheap, and even cheaper during Steam sales.

Am I correct to assume big, open-world RPGs are what you're interested in? There's way more games out there than just first-person shooters: one of the biggest genres around these days are action games with RPG elements that might be good recommendations for you. But there's also strategy games like Civilization or Endless Legend that are huge time sinks and with very slow and methodical pacing. And stealth games, which reward patience and taking everything at your own pace. I just don't know what to recommend for you, though.

You'll get lost in Skyrim.

Therefore, success... :ph34r:  

AAA.

Bioshock rather than Skyrim, for ½ to 1 hour?  Don't want to spend all day playing when I should be doing something.

No AAA games with bite-sized experiences come to mind except for fighting games, but I don't recommended them personally because I suck at them compared to everyone online. I'd recommend Monster Hunter, but it's not on PC. Or maybe a game like Banished, but it's not AAA.

Bioshock Infinite was too shooty-shooty for me, so I'd call it the twitchiest of the series. And I feel Bioshock experienced as one long binge as far as story. Skyrim has a broad enough plot to jump in and out of play sessions.

Maybe try Arkham Asylum. It has little the-story-thus-far bits when you load your last save.