Flushing Radiator

What can I use to flush out my new radiator do I need distilled water or can i use regular tap water and let the radiator dry out for few hours.

Any Help Thanks Guys.

use regular tap water for a few hours, then do a few final passes with distilled water before returning it to the loop

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

What can I use to flush out my new radiator do I need distilled water or can i use regular tap water and let the radiator dry out for few hours.

Any Help Thanks Guys.

It's a good idea to hook it up to the tap and let it trickle for a good 20-30 mins it will basically remove all particles or any contaminates that may be inside the radiator, and as Enderman said to flush it a few times with distilled afterwards. Alternatively filling it up partly and shaking it around about a half dozen times is also a good way of cleaning.

Boil a kettle and poor it straight into the rad, I do this and it works every time (just be careful as the RAD warms up but cools down quickly... duh its a rad  ^_^) But be cautions of getting water all over the rad as this could rust the small fins and possibly cause a leak later on.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

what about tubing would I need to run distilled water through there as well to clean it also reservoir 

Just fill it at 30% with distilled water and shake for a while. Then drain it, repeat 2-3 times, until there will be no particles comming out of it.

Never use tap water when dealing with water cooling loops, it can cause problems even when was dried away.

Yeah I didn't do it right, now have sediment in loop. Flush well

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

what about tubing would I need to run distilled water through there as well to clean it also reservoir 

Those items not so much since they are clean compared to a radiator just give the reservoir and blocks a good rinse with distilled water before installing it into the loop.

Those items not so much since they are clean compared to a radiator just give the reservoir and blocks a good rinse with distilled water before installing it into the loop.

Oh I didn't rinse res or block.... That matter?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

It's just to remove any dust or dirt that may have gotten in during assembly but it's not a big deal, compared to radiators.

It's just to remove any dust or dirt that may have gotten in during assembly but it's not a big deal, compared to radiators.

+1, got many of this stuff in rads, especially alphacool's.

I remember, that I posted such thing in one of your topics before you've assembled your loop...

Those particles won't break anything, but I think, that you washed it away from res already.

Never use tap water when dealing with water cooling loops, it can cause problems even when was dried away.

If you flush with regular tap water first, then 1 last flush with distilled water, before installing it in the loop and filling it with premix coolant, would there still be a problem?

If you flush with regular tap water first, then 1 last flush with distilled water, before installing it in the loop and filling it with premix coolant, would there still be a problem?

No.

But my local tap water has a lot (really a lot) of lime, which really like to settle on any metal surface very fast, forming a strong white layer on this surface after heating.

No.

But my local tap water has a lot (really a lot) of lime, which really like to settle on any metal surface very fast, forming a strong white layer on this surface after heating.

Just give it a rinsing slosh around with a bit of distilled water then. It's just to remove any factory swarf (metal particles) and impurities. Maybe a spider or two if you're unlucky. Then it'll do the job it's intended for without too much trouble. Don't get paranoid over watercooling. Take your time and double check everything for leaks and you'll be fine. You don't need to dry it out after rinsing either.

With all this instant online help, there's never been a better time to do such things. Good luck. :)

Is there a way to do this without distilled water? Like bottled water or something? Distilled water is expensive :P

Computer Spec: CPU: i5 4690K @ 4.85GHz Delided    Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero    RAM: Corsair Vengence 2*4GB    GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970    PSU: Corsair RM650    Boot Drive: Crucial MX100 256GB SSD    Storage: 1TB WD Blue HDD   Case: NZXT H440 Red and Black 

Cooling: EK PWM D5 Pump & EK 140ML RES Combo unit , EK Supremacy Evo CPU Block , 360mm Alphacool Radiator , 3 Noctua NF-F12 Fans on the radiator , Some fancy fittings

Is there a way to do this without distilled water? Like bottled water or something? Distilled water is expensive :P

boil the water yourself.

Mate, it's 99p a gallon in tescos. I assume you have those up there in Scotland? :)

boil the water yourself.

Apparently it still has all the stuff in it ( particles of something ). But i'll do that since it's free. Thanks 

Computer Spec: CPU: i5 4690K @ 4.85GHz Delided    Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero    RAM: Corsair Vengence 2*4GB    GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970    PSU: Corsair RM650    Boot Drive: Crucial MX100 256GB SSD    Storage: 1TB WD Blue HDD   Case: NZXT H440 Red and Black 

Cooling: EK PWM D5 Pump & EK 140ML RES Combo unit , EK Supremacy Evo CPU Block , 360mm Alphacool Radiator , 3 Noctua NF-F12 Fans on the radiator , Some fancy fittings

Mate, it's 99p a gallon in tescos. I assume you have those up there in Scotland? :)

Oh really? Nevermind that's fine I was looking online for it. So it's just labeled distilled water or is it just any bottled water?

Oh really? Nevermind that's fine I was looking online for it. So it's just labeled distilled water or is it just any bottled water?

I use this and it's actually 99p for half a UK gallon or 2.5 litres. Still cheap enough though.

DSC09225.jpg

Deionized water or DI water

Deionized water is deeply demineralized, ultrapure water with the resistivity close to 18 megohm-cm. It is used in microelectronics, printed circuit boards, instrument manufacture, pharmacy, washing liquids, etc.

In order to obtain the high quality pure deionized water, a multi-stage water purification process can be used. After pre-cleaning, the water is supplied to the reverse osmosis membrane, and then the water is filtered through a special deionization medium, which removes the rest of the ions in the water. The purity of deionized water can exceed the purity of distilled water.

Found it, I'll get some tomorrow thanks :).

1ytjzl.png

I see that it's more expensive in Scotland. Probably because you use all your water for making whiskey. :D

Don't forget your kill coil now will you?

I see that it's more expensive in Scotland. Probably because you use all your water for making whiskey. :D

Don't forget your kill coil now will you?

Haha, Yep!

I'm using EK's premixed coolant which Airdeano recommended because I don't need a kill coil or PT nuke or equivalent. It has anti corrosion and no algae stuff in it 

www.scan.co.uk/products/ek-ekoolant-blood-red-1000ml-includes-additives-against-algae-and-corrosion

Haha, Yep!

I'm using EK's premixed coolant which Airdeano recommended because I don't need a kill coil or PT nuke or equivalent. It has anti corrosion and no algae stuff in it 

www.scan.co.uk/products/ek-ekoolant-blood-red-1000ml-includes-additives-against-algae-and-corrosion

Just remember that red will stain your system. It seems to be the worst color in terms of staining.

Just remember that red will stain your system. It seems to be the worst color in terms of staining.

Yeah I'm fine with replacing tubing, I think I will replace it in a few months for rigid. But apart from that nothing else that can be seen is see through so i'm fine as long as performance doesn't take a knock.