My computer won't turn on after upgrading cpu!

IvanSnipedYu
Go to solution Solved by IvanSnipedYu,

So, I ended up getting a new motherboard. Bent pins was the problem. Replaced it and did a clean install of windows! Now it works!

Hey, I just upgraded from a i5 4670k to i7 4790k and now my computer won't boot on. I flashed the latest version of bio on my motherboard. My i5 was still working but now my monitor displays nothing.

| i7 4790k | H100i | 16GB (8x2) Corsair Vengence | EVGA GTX 780 SC | ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Samsung 840 120GB | WD 2TB Green x2 | Rosewill Hive 750W | 

Hey, I just upgraded from a i5 4670k to i7 4790k and now my computer won't boot on. I flashed the latest version of bio on my motherboard. My i5 was still working but now my monitor displays nothing.

Did you add thermal paste? maybe you unplugged cables?

Put the i5 back in to see.

The i5 was working but now it isn't. Only the fans and water cooler working but monitor cant pick up a signal.

| i7 4790k | H100i | 16GB (8x2) Corsair Vengence | EVGA GTX 780 SC | ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Samsung 840 120GB | WD 2TB Green x2 | Rosewill Hive 750W | 

The i5 was working but now it isn't. Only the fans and water cooler working but monitor cant pick up a signal.

You've reinstalled the i5 with the same issue? 

Do you have a hard drive? (not ssd)  Does it spin up?  

Maybe it has switched to onboard video instead of the video card.  Try switching to a different port. 

Make sure the pins on the motherboard's CPU socket aren't bent.

How do I tell if it's bent and if it is what do I do?

Use a flash light on a solid surface so that it doesn't move and just look very closely at the pins.  They should all be identically shaped in the grid array, so if one is not the same as the others, it should stand out like a sore thumb. 

if a pin or two is bent, it would look different than the others. The pins should look exactly the same. if it is, you could try to bend it back with a magnifying glass and some small tweezers, if you have the patience and precision. If not, its new motherboard time. 

Old shit no one cares about but me.

You've reinstalled the i5 with the same issue?

Do you have a hard drive? (not ssd) Does it spin up?

Maybe it has switched to onboard video instead of the video card. Try switching to a different port.

Yes after I flashed new bios and put in the i7 my i5 stopped work too. I have a sad and hard drive. My hard drive are spinning. I removed my graphics card and used on board graphics but nothing shows up.

also if your motherboard has dual bios, try switching to the other, your bios flash might have failed. 

if you have the patience and precision. If not, its new motherboard time. 

@IvanSnipedYu Yes, if one is indeed bent, it's already "broken", so it's worth the effort to try to repair it. Just don't do it without a magnifing glass. With the size and shape of the pins, your eyes will have a hard time figuring out which direction a pin is bent and which direction you need to push it.   Worst case is that it remains broken.  

If you're not sure, post a photo of it here.   Well-lit, well-framed, and in focus. 

if a pin or two is bent, it would look different than the others. The pins should look exactly the same. if it is, you could try to bend it back with a magnifying glass and some small tweezers, if you have the patience and precision. If not, its new motherboard time. 

That, or Linus's patented mechanical pencil trick. You just stick the pin in where the pencil lead comes out and bend it from there. 

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

Take out all your ram except for the one closest to the CPU socket. Your ram could be the problem, even if you could boot with it before. If it boots, shut the computer down and reinstall the ram and it will work.

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Corsair KXX RGB Keyboard Cover Mod Make your own using my templates!

@IvanSnipedYu Yes, if one is indeed bent, it's already "broken", so it's worth the effort to try to repair it. Just don't do it without a magnifing glass. With the size and shape of the pins, your eyes will have a hard time figuring out which direction a pin is bent and which direction you need to push it. Worst case is that it remains broken.

If you're not sure, post a photo of it here. Well-lit, well-framed, and in focus.

ce2bc008b4.jpg

22.jpg

This looks odd.

I'm unsure how I can bend it back.

take the picture from another angle at the trouble spot and see if its the same

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

take the picture from another angle at the trouble spot and see if its the same

I can't take another picture. It's really hard to get an angle.

I'm unsure how I can bend it back.

With a lot of patience, a delicate touch, and a very fine-point instrument.  A razor blade / X-acto knife or maybe even a penny nail. 

First confirm that the pins are bent.  Like dragoon20005 said, take additional pictures at different angles.  If there's an anomaly in the same place in multiple photos, it's bent. 

I searched YouTube for "how to repair bent cpu socket pin" and came up with plenty of hits.   One English chap emphasized light... lots and lots of light.  And I agree.   Also from multiple angles because you might end up having to spin the board.  Be careful not to bend any pins too much in any direction.  Think about a paperclip: repeated bending will snap it in half.  

Your eyes are probably going to play tricks on you while staring at those tiny pins so be patient.  

With a lot of patience, a delicate touch, and a very fine-point instrument. A razor blade / X-acto knife or maybe even a penny nail.

First confirm that the pins are bent. Like dragoon20005 said, take additional pictures at different angles. If there's an anomaly in the same place in multiple photos, it's bent.

I searched YouTube for "how to repair bent cpu socket pin" and came up with plenty of hits. One English chap emphasized light... lots and lots of light. And I agree. Also from multiple angles because you might end up having to spin the board. Be careful not to bend any pins too much in any direction. Think about a paperclip: repeated bending will snap it in half.

Your eyes are probably going to play tricks on you while staring at those tiny pins so be patient.

You think I can rma the board?

Try 1 stick of ram? It sounds weird but I had the exact same issue and switching to 1 ram stick, booting then rebooting with 2 worked.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

You think I can rma the board?

No.  Nearly every manufacturer has it in their return policy that they won't warrant pin damage. (Plus that would be dishonest of you.)   To that effect, every time I open a new motherboard, I record the entire unboxing and un-sealing with video; uncut/unedited and the socket always in-frame... just in the off-chance that the board does arrive damaged.  

Just try to repair it.  Go slow.  They ARE repairable. 

Try 1 stick of ram? It sounds weird but I had the exact same issue and switching to 1 ram stick, booting then rebooting with 2 worked.

Sounds hopeful, but it looks as though he might have 2 or 3 bent pins in the CPU socket. 

Gonna say this, if you make it so 2 pins are contacting eachother, don't put your cpu in there and turn it on, could short something out. Otherwise, there isn't a downside to try to repair it, since its broken.