Highly Recommend R9 290, 290x user to change their thermal compound

So I asked people in the forum 2 weeks whether should I change the thermal compound of my GPU or not based on Linus video:

I ordered the IC Diamond and started working on my GPU for like 30mins after clean up everything and put a new thermal compound on my GPU

THE RESULT surprised me ALOT, I mean the average of my R9 290x max performance at around 80~85 degree Celsius, after I changed my thermal paste the temperature decreased from 80~85 down to 60~65 :|

yeah if you think that your card is running really hot then you should give it a try, this is my happiest moment right now :D

I have a new R9 280 OC Edition and I've been debating changing the TIM just for the heck of it. Looks like I may take a few minutes tomorrow just to see what it does. 

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

What if i put my card in the freezer for awhile, and then quickly take it out and duct tape all the cold inside? 

Yeah, changing the thermal compound is always a good idea. I'm surprised you saw the drop that you did, but maybe this is something I should consider when I get my new card! 

If the thermal compound was applied horribly or they used shitty stuff, then changing the thermal paste should make a fair difference. Nothing surprising here.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

So I asked people in the forum 2 weeks whether should I change the thermal compound of my GPU or not based on Linus video:

I ordered the IC Diamond and started working on my GPU for like 30mins after clean up everything and put a new thermal compound on my GPU

THE RESULT surprised me ALOT, I mean the average of my R9 290x max performance at around 80~85 degree Celsius, after I changed my thermal paste the temperature decreased from 80~85 down to 60~65 :|

yeah if you think that your card is running really hot then you should give it a try, this is my happiest moment right now :D

What cooler do you have on your gpu?

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

My 290 doesn't seem to exceed 70s anyway...

But that's a stupendous improvement you got. Which card do you have?

My 290 doesn't seem to exceed 70s anyway...

But that's a stupendous improvement you got. Which card do you have?

Asus R9 290x

What cooler do you have on your gpu?

the DIrect CU II from Asus, using the Asus R9 290x :D

the DIrect CU II from Asus, using the Asus R9 290x :D

Probably the worst cooler for a 290(X) other than the reference one :mellow:

If he saw such a big temperature difference, maybe the problem comes from the TIM Asus uses on the card and not the cooler itself, 60-65°C is very good for a 290X.

My Gigabyte 290 /w my OC never exceeded 75*c after a few hours... (am using a slightly aggressive fan curve)

Still.. would be interesting if I can lose another 3-5*c on top.... or more... but I doubt it would be that good...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I have to say that after I changed the thermal paste + my 5 Corsair AF Series, R9 290x medium OC and Far Cry4 running Ultra never above 65 or so :D

If he saw such a big temperature difference, maybe the problem comes from the TIM Asus uses on the card and not the cooler itself, 60-65°C is very good for a 290X.

Agreed. Most reviews I saw about the Asus DCUII didn't change the TIM since it was an official review. However, it was noted in the reviews that Asus did only slap the DCUII cooler from the Nvidia GPUs to the AMD GPUs which don't have the same die size. Therefore, 2 out of 5 heatpipes (if I'm not mistaken) were not touching the die on AMD. But yes, the results of the OP are impressive just by changing the TIM.

I have to say that after I changed the thermal paste + my 5 Corsair AF Series, R9 290x medium OC and Far Cry4 running Ultra never above 65 or so :D

Did you have a look at your VRMs temperatures ? VRMs temps on the 290(X) are quite high and I saw many users over Overclock.net that have changed the thermal pads on the VRMs and saw an impressive improvement.

Even in Crossfire, my top 290X stays around 70 with a load, albeit I'm using a slightly aggressive fan curve.

Nice to see such a drop though, I have a few friends who would appreciate the tip.

CPU: Intel 5930k cooled by H110i GT Mobo: MSI X99S XPower AC RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum 2800mhz GPU: 2x MSi Lightning 290x SSD: 512GB 850 Pro HDD: 4&2TB WD Black PSU: Corsair AX1500i Case: Corsair 900D Monitor: 3xVG248QE  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark  Mouse: Logitech G700s  Headset: Astro A50

I like chocolate milk.

I always recommend any user to change the thermal paste on their GPU, always better safe then sorry.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Agreed. Most reviews I saw about the Asus DCUII didn't change the TIM since it was an official review. However, it was noted in the reviews that Asus did only slap the DCUII cooler from the Nvidia GPUs to the AMD GPUs which don't have the same die size. Therefore, 2 out of 5 heatpipes (if I'm not mistaken) were not touching the die on AMD. But yes, the results of the OP are impressive just by changing the TIM.

Did you have a look at your VRMs temperatures ? VRMs temps on the 290(X) are quite high and I saw many users over Overclock.net that have changed the thermal pads on the VRMs and saw an impressive improvement.

my Vram Temp1 around 68~71, Vram2 around 60~64

aren't these the coolers they took off of lesser cards and just slapped on the higher end cards because they were too lazy to redesign one that worked peoperly for that big card? You should look at your sites open box or returns. My favorite shopp has many more ASUS returns than any others...... kinda reminds me of all the bad OCZ SSD's that turned out to be junk but lauded by certain review sites.

I didn't see this vid or don't remember if I did, but I would never put a blob in the middle and then stick the heat sink back on. I would smooth it out by hand and then install the heat sink.

Before I changed compound I was getting temps in the 90's. After removing the cooler I noticed that the compound was actually missing in some spots of the die (didn't get a pic ) after I put new compound on , and the 25 hour set / break in period for my ceramique 2 my temps are at 75-80 full load (and yes I know kombustor is not exactly healthy for a gtx card , especially since I let it run for 40 min under 100% .... Woops )

post-121932-0-62815300-1423302185_thumb.

post-121932-0-62815300-1423302185_thumb.

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

So I asked people in the forum 2 weeks whether should I change the thermal compound of my GPU or not based on Linus video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDLQ7FjPMf8

I may try that on my 580, advertised on the freaking box as "Extreme Silent" and "Extreme Cool", which is 80+°C and louder than a hair dryerwhen in use...

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

I may try that on my 580, advertised on the freaking box as "Extreme Silent" and "Extreme Cool", which is 80+°C and louder than a hair dryerwhen in use...

Lol ^^^

Aslo damn, that is a serious drop. may try it out my self! 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series?