How quiet and cool can a water cooling loop get?

Hi there everyone,

I was wondering, is a watercooling loop almost silent or is there some noise involved, like from the pump or the fans? If so, is it possible to have a completely silent loop?

Also, how much heat can a watercooling loop dissipate compared to an AIO loop or an air cooler? I heard that a watercooling loop can cool a lot more with less noise than either an AIO loop or air  cooling.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

With current tech, pumps will always make noise - maybe not perceivable noise(within a reasonable distance), but nonetheless noise. A watercooling loop can dissipate more heat technically since you can have more compared to an AIO, such as a bigger rad, more rads, etc. And yes, what you heard is indeed correct, assuming you choose the right parts.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

You can get close to a silent system. Putting an MCP-655 pump on a PWM control, and using lots of fans at low voltages to get rid of fan noise are both good ideas. Yes, usually a watercooling loop can cool more than an AIO, because of the larger area of the rads, and better components. 

I would say mine is exceptionally quiet and visitors have commented on it, running 2x rads and 6x Gentle Typhoons @ 5v, at 12v you do get noise, not fan noise but air noise.

If you wanted complete silence you could mount and external rad or chiller down in a basement with a pump and pump it up and through your PC, then it would be about as silent and colds as you could possible get!

DeeG

Your cooling system "noise" depends on your overall OC, if you go berzerker then it`s gonna be noticeable, if you do moderate OC it will be barelly audible on stock configuration you can go silent mode (you can hear sounds only if you stuck your head into the case) !!!