going creazy to spend money yes or no? (MSI 970)

Ramonman

hello,

(​P.s sorry for bad englisch!)

i know thare are allot of topic around this, and it mybe somewhare it already been said.. but i really need some advise

i never spend so mutch money on annything my life, and i safed a long time for it AS WELL thinked about it for a long time.

but i am 100% i want my gaming rig!  my rig was ready to order in 3-4 weeks from now.

but with all the hype around the 970 i am sceard to buy it...

this is what i will do with my pc:

- Gaming on a resolutie of 1920 x 1080p 60 Hz monitor and this won't change anny time soon!

- do some small editing and programming (just a little)

- surf allot on the web for school and making Office documents.

i was planning to buy the MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming, but with all the problems?:

- Screen Tearing
- lagg
- the 3.5gb vram problem..

i want to run the games from now and soon to be on ulrta with solid frame's?

what sould i do? 
is the gtx 970 still more than enouf for 1080p

is a gtx 960 enouf for my rig? w/o to low frame rate's?

please help me! 

P.s i would really like to stay with nvidia, and not go to AMD.. 

EDIT:

CPU, Mobo, PSU, location, and budget plz. We need more info on your specs.

- i7-4790K
- MSI Z97 u3 Plus, s1150
- Corsair Vengeance 1600-8GB (2x4G) (Normal one, not the LP!)
- Corsair CXM 600W
- Western Digital Black 1TB - 3.5inch
- Corsair Carbide 300R Windowed

The 3.5gb problem won't affect anyone playing at 1080p.

The gtx 970 is much faster than the 960

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

P.s i would really like to stay with nvidia, and not go to AMD.. 

If (for whatever reason) you WANT to stay nvidia

Then the 970 is still the best nvidia card for 1080p ultra settings, the 960 is not that great tbh

If you decide to go AMD a 280x or 290 would be a great alternative

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

hello,

(​P.s sorry for bad englisch!)

i know thare are allot of topic around this, and it mybe somewhare it already been said.. but i really need some advise

The 970 is perfect for 1080p in my opinion, but the 290x being cheaper than the 970 and a good deal more powerful I think that should be the card you get.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

-snip-

Hey there :) 

The 970 is a beat of a card and will destroy anything at 1080p.  The 960 is possibly less over kill though, but also a good option, less "future proof though".

Bare in mind that at the moment AMD have the better value cards out (290 is better value then the 970 and 280x better then the 960)

Now if you prefer Nividia for whatever reason, that's fine, its just best to be aware of what's going on :) 

Don't be too put off by the 970 recent fiasco, it may have problems, but benchmarks don't lie, its is a very powerful and capable card, (the problems don't concern it's 1080p at all :)

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

OK I've seen this go around a lot and it's still baffling me.

Let's pretend that the 970 did only have 3.5GB vram (it doesn't, but let's pretend), and then let's say that this limit bothered you.

On what planet does it make sense to go for a vram with 2GB instead? Like... I've being trying to get my head around this for a while, but I keep seeing on various outlets people choosing the 960 over 970 because they think it has 1.5GB less instead of 2, and 3.5 isn't enough, but somehow 2 is? Like... wut?

Such type, many spell.

TBH it is up to you.

There is no set-in-stone parts list, it is all a matter of opinion.

You don't have to buy something because the masses are, buy because that's what YOU want.

If (even with the news) you still want the 970, then go ahead and buy it!

there is no denying it is still a great card :D

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

- i7-4790K

- MSI Z97 u3 Plus, s1150

- Corsair CXM 600W

Hey there :)

The 970 is a beat of a card and will destroy anything at 1080p.  The 960 is possibly less over kill though, but also a good option, less "future proof though".

Bare in mind that at the moment AMD have the better value cards out (290 is better value then the 970 and 280x better then the 960)

Now if you prefer Nividia for whatever reason, that's fine, its just best to be aware of what's going on :)

Don't be too put off by the 970 recent fiasco, it may have problems, but benchmarks don't lie, its is a very powerful and capable card, (the problems don't concern it's 1080p at all :)

thanks! feeling better about it, i am just afread to spend so much money :P but if the MSI 970 won't have anny kind of problems at 1080p i will go ahead and order it! thanks

OK I've seen this go around a lot and it's still baffling me.

Let's pretend that the 970 did only have 3.5GB vram (it doesn't, but let's pretend), and then let's say that this limit bothered you.

On what planet does it make sense to go for a vram with 2GB instead? Like... I've being trying to get my head around this for a while, but I keep seeing on various outlets people choosing the 960 over 970 because they think it has 1.5GB less instead of 2, and 3.5 isn't enough, but somehow 2 is? Like... wut?

i know, it is not only the 3.5vram? i heard thare are problems with stuttering, lag, freeze... to? i just wanne make sure i am using my money for somthing good, somthing i can use for a few years w/o replacing it.

i know, it is not only the 3.5vram? i heard thare are problems with stuttering, lag, freeze... to? i just wanne make sure i am using my money for somthing good, somthing i can use for a few years w/o replacing it.

Whatever you think happens when a GTX 970 uses 3.6GB vram, it'll be a lot worse if that happens on a 960...

-snip-

Pleasure :) 

I know the feeling! nice to see you got informed on the topic first :) 

Enjoy the new power! ;) 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

- i7-4790K

- MSI Z97 u3 Plus, s1150

- Corsair CXM 600W

1 - For gaming, an i5-4690k is just as good as an i7-4770k. It will help in video edit, but since it's going to be "just a little", I don't find it worth it. Still, if you've got the money, it's not a bad choice.

2 - Mobo is WRONG. Totally wrong. You are getting a 160$ mobo with no SLI support? Geez... Anyway, get this, if you don't want SLI, and this if you do. You could also go with some color matching, but you don't seem care about it, given the fact that you want a blue mobo with a red GPU.

3 - How about a faster RAM, for a lower price? Now we can add yellow to the mix of colors. I hope you like carnival (happens next week)!

With all the money you saved from above, get a CPU cooler. And maybe some peripherals (if you need them).

Anyway, back onto the GPU. The 970 is great! At 1080p, it'll be perfect. There's no 3.5gb crap at that resolution. Screen tear can, and will happen with ANY card, not just 970s. And about the lag, that's usually associated with the 3.5gb feature. Don't worry, it's a great card.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I wouldn't worry about the negative news surrounding the 970.  The benchmarks tell the only story that matters.  its fast, its quiet, its stable, its a good value.  you'll be playing ultra settings at 1080p for a long time.  Go buy it!

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

If I were you I would perhaps wait to see what AMD's r9 3XX series will be like

My Gaming Setup: CPU: AMD FX-8350  |  CoolingCooler Master Hyper 212 Evo   Motherboard: Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0   Ram: Corsair 16gb 1600mhz lp (2x8)   GPU: Msi Gtx 970 |  StorageSeagate Barracuda 1tb & Samsung 840 Evo 120gb   PSU: XFX 550w Core Edition   Case: Corsair 760t   OS: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit  

Peripherals: Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry Mx Brown   Mouse: Corsair M65 Black   Speakers: Microlab FC20 40w 2.1   Monitor: LG 29UM65 29" 2560x1080 IPS 5ms Ultra Wide

1 - For gaming, an i5-4690k is just as good as an i7-4770k. It will help in video edit, but since it's going to be "just a little", I don't find it worth it. Still, if you've got the money, it's not a bad choice.

2 - Mobo is WRONG. Totally wrong. You are getting a 160$ mobo with no SLI support? Geez... Anyway, get this, if you don't want SLI, and this if you do. You could also go with some color matching, but you don't seem care about it, given the fact that you want a blue mobo with a red GPU.

3 - How about a faster RAM, for a lower price? Now we can add yellow to the mix of colors. I hope you like carnival (happens next week)!

With all the money you saved from above, get a CPU cooler. And maybe some peripherals (if you need them).

Anyway, back onto the GPU. The 970 is great! At 1080p, it'll be perfect. There's no 3.5gb crap at that resolution. Screen tear can, and will happen with ANY card, not just 970s. And about the lag, that's usually associated with the 3.5gb feature. Don't worry, it's a great card.

hey,

what is the difrence between the PC mate and the U3 plus mobo from MSI? as far as i see, i get some faster internet connections and allot more USB 3.0 connectors?

also the PC mate is 92 euro here, and the u3 plus us 102 euro so only 10 euro more?

and yes no colors are bad, but since the PC will be under my desk and the window version is a little bit cheaper i won't make a problem out of it since no one will over see the inside but me and my friend (who helps building it)

also NO SLI is in need.

but jeah, can you give some info about the mobo?

thanks!

hey,

what is the difrence between the PC mate and the U3 plus mobo from MSI? as far as i see, i get some faster internet connections and allot more USB 3.0 connectors?

also the PC mate is 92 euro here, and the u3 plus us 102 euro so only 10 euro more?

and yes no colors are bad, but since the PC will be under my desk and the window version is a little bit cheaper i won't make a problem out of it since no one will over see the inside but me and my friend (who helps building it)

also NO SLI is in need.

but jeah, can you give some info about the mobo?

thanks!

Yay.... the dude lives in EU.... that's why I asked for the location. With that, whatever research I did goes to waste, because prices are different.... Anyway, give me a link to a trusted store. I'll see what I can do for you.

About the mobo, you can pretty much go with the cheapest z97. More expensive boards have extra features that you'll never use, such as extra USB ports, extra Sata ports, different PCIe layouts, different plug layouts, different color/heatsink designs.... As far as raw performance, though, they all do exactly the same. Hence, get a cheaper board, and use the money saved onto something else.

Yay.... the dude lives in EU.... that's why I asked for the location. With that, whatever research I did goes to waste, because prices are different.... Anyway, give me a link to a trusted store. I'll see what I can do for you.

About the mobo, you can pretty much go with the cheapest z97. More expensive boards have extra features that you'll never use, such as extra USB ports, extra Sata ports, different PCIe layouts, different plug layouts, different color/heatsink designs.... As far as raw performance, though, they all do exactly the same. Hence, get a cheaper board, and use the money saved onto something else.

well.. the U3 plus got 8 USB 3.0 ports and the PC mate got only 2? i could use the speed of the USB 3.0, and i think a USB 3.0 HUB will cost me more than 10 euro?

i gues i can't do rong with none of the above, and 10 euro on a 1.100+ build won't hurt i gues?

annyway, i will buy most parts from http://www.mycom.be/and www.alternate.be. 

to stay on the main topic, thanks for the feedback all.. i gues i get the MSI GTX 970 4G gaming, since you all tell me not to worry at 1080p :)

well.. the U3 plus got 8 USB 3.0 ports and the PC mate got only 2? i could use the speed of the USB 3.0, and i think a USB 3.0 HUB will cost me more than 10 euro?

i gues i can't do rong with none of the above, and 10 euro on a 1.100+ build won't hurt i gues?

annyway, i will buy most parts from http://www.mycom.be/and www.alternate.be. 

to stay on the main topic, thanks for the feedback all.. i gues i get the MSI GTX 970 4G gaming, since you all tell me not to worry at 1080p :)

You can only use the speed of 3.0 if you actually have that many devices. Besides, it's 2 + the USB case, so you are looking at 4 usb 3.0 ports. Still, if you think you'll need/use all those ports, it's a small price difference. They are already the cheapest mobos anyway.

For the RAM, your current choice is fine. However, if you think you'll ever want 16gbs, then THIS kit is amazingly good for the price. 16gb, 2400mhz. It'll help a bit on the video editing, for those moments where you add a crapton of effects.

Last, but not least, for 373,99, I think the Asus Strix is a much better option than the 389,99 MSI. It's just not worth it. Both are Gtx 970s, and both are quiet (and great) cards.

You can only use the speed of 3.0 if you actually have that many devices. Besides, it's 2 + the USB case, so you are looking at 4 usb 3.0 ports. Still, if you think you'll need/use all those ports, it's a small price difference. They are already the cheapest mobos anyway.

For the RAM, your current choice is fine. However, if you think you'll ever want 16gbs, then THIS kit is amazingly good for the price. 16gb, 2400mhz. It'll help a bit on the video editing, for those moments where you add a crapton of effects.

Last, but not least, for 373,99, I think the Asus Strix is a much better option than the 389,99 MSI. It's just not worth it. Both are Gtx 970s, and both are quiet (and great) cards.

thanks, i see what i do. thinking of going back to the z97 pc mate!

also, i will keep in mind what you told about the RAM, atm i can't affort 16gb of ram. but when i will upgrade i will take a look again at what you told (if thare is notting new/better/cheaper by thad point)

to be honest, i kind of a MSI fanboy. since thay score about the same and the MSI sould be a bit better to OC (when i get my coolers) i gone stick with MSI!

thanks allot for the heads up!

to be honest, i kind of a MSI fanboy. since thay score about the same and the MSI sould be a bit better to OC (when i get my coolers) i gone stick with MSI!

Yeah, I used to always recommend the MSI, back when the Strix was going for the exact same price. But now, since it's so much cheaper, Asus has won me over.

Btw, what's the language in those sites? It got me curious :ph34r:

Yeah, I used to always recommend the MSI, back when the Strix was going for the exact same price. But now, since it's so much cheaper, Asus has won me over.

Btw, what's the language in those sites? It got me curious :ph34r:

i love the products of MSI and how it works/performance :)

and i am from Belgium so it would be Dutch language you have read :D