Should I buy this "star citizen"?

Syntaxvgm

I have a 970, so a game as pretty as this needs to be in my collection. But right now, the time I have to game is limited. As it currently is, how much fun is playing star citizen?

How much do proper control affect this experience? Would I be good to go with a controller for now?

I mean god damn, this and Elite Dangerous. It's been years since I've played good new flying games.

Very fun for me, play it every night I can and controller works well, it takes time to get use to it but it works well for me.

As for is it worth your time? At the current moment there is nothing to achieve so you can quit in the middle of the game and not lose any progress so that's a bonus or a downside depending on how you look at it.

You go spend a few hours researching it and come back, can't call yourself a PC gamer unless you know about it.

Maybe he doesn't call himself a PC gamer?

Well the game isnt even out until 2016 lul As for controller support they better have it! im pretty sure flight sticks are supported so i really hope 360 controllers etc will be. not everyone like mouse and keyboard.

They have it and its good

Possibly. But its still not worth someones time if their time to play games is limited. It looks like it will be awesome in a year or two though,

Actually its perfect as the multiplayer games are 20 minutes long

Actually its perfect as the multiplayer games are 20 minutes long

Yes and so are HUNDREDS OF OTHER GAMES THAT ARE ACTUALLY FINISHED...If someone hasnt bought star citizen by now they shouldnt bother getting it until release. Its still buggy, its still not finished. Why would someone who hasnt got much time on their hands play a not even half finished game?

Personally I don't have a heap of time to play but I am super hyped about the game which is why I pledged for it, I think in its current state its a really fun game but its definitely far from finished. I also enjoy seeing the evolution of games as they are being developed so that works out well for me personally. However if you only have a casual interest in the game at this point and aren't really hyped about it yet you might be better off waiting a bit, and if you don't like the idea of (extremely) early access games or betas definitely don't get it now (although is not as broken as a lot of the green light games ;) in fact it runs very well considering the point of development its at currently).

I would run parallels to the Oculus Rift, in its current publicly available state (DK2) its a LONG way from being consumer ready but if you are really hyped about the hardware its really interesting and a lot of fun to play with BUT if you only have a casual interest in it, it is absolutely not worth buying, you would be better off waiting for a consumer release. In saying that there is a large price gap between the two... with Star Citizen being $45 to get in and play now it might be at a price that you can drop the money and not give it a second thought, whether you end up liking what you get or not but that would be something only you can decide.

As for controls, everything from KB+M to gamepads to HOTAS to dual-sticks are supported, currently KB+M is statistically the "best" (prior to AC v1.0 I think HOTAS was ahead because the control schemes are being tweaked all the time) however Chris Roberts (the man himself) has confessed a fondness of the Xbox controller (it is however my least favourite control scheme). With sticks at this point you also don't have the ability to tune response curves etc. without editing xml files but this is coming. Personally my favourite combination at the moment is HOMAS, stick in my left hand and mouse in my right because the stick gives you the best ship control while the mouse gives you the best aiming control (I may be wrong but I don't think that's just opinion either).

Yes and so are HUNDREDS OF OTHER GAMES THAT ARE ACTUALLY FINISHED...If someone hasnt bought star citizen by now they shouldnt bother getting it until release. Its still buggy, its still not finished. Why would someone who hasnt got much time on their hands play a not even half finished game?

Your talking to someone that never has enough time and we are talking about 1 specific game, the fact I can get online and play for 20 minutes and log off is great.

It cheaper now than it will be at release, it really isn't that buggy, initial release and version 1.0 has been the only unplayable update. No issues since 1.0.1

There are also a lot of released games that are incomplete buggy messes of crap. Just look at EA or at times Ubisoft. Then there is the fact that there are a lot of full release games with very weak gameplay and features.

Worth and interest are SUBJECTIVE; I, and many others find the game worthwhile. Does this mean everyone should agree or those that don't should get boxed over the head? Well, no.

Even if the PU never fully gets realized (intended final state) or the fps and planetside takes longer than 2 months they claim, the game and what has been done, has so far been done well, in my opinion. I appreciate the mechanics, the weight of the ships, how they fly and turn with actual physics in the equation.

Most dissenters of anything try something once and have strong negative opinions, regardless of what changes in the future, same with fanboys.

At the very least think more on the comparative viewpoint, many games out there are disappointing, just as much as some small games are worth far more over big ones. So no reason to get all ornery over a game you feel so much about due to the development process of a game when we still are waiting on the outcome; of which, seems promising by most as of this moment.

Still new, but learning

i7 4790K / GTX 970 G1 Gaming / Maximus VII Hero / Swiftech H240x / Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb, 1600mhz, cl9 / 850 evo 250GB /

WD Blue 1TB / HX850 / Phanteks Enthoo Pro

OP, right now there is only two parts of Star Citizen released, a Hangar module (where you can walk around and view your purchased ships) and a Dogfighting Module (Where you can pilot certain ships and shoot players down), much more is scheduled for release this year such as the FPS portion. However understand that right now all you CAN do is dogfight, and if that is not your cup of tea, you may not have very much fun in SC at the moment, this is all preference though. Down the road when the PU (MMO part of the game) is released, you will be able to Mine, Pirate, Dogfight, Spy, Transport Items, and do many other things, and this may be more fun to you (It is to me) than dogfighting.
So if you dont like dogfighting it might not be best to back right now, maybe wait a little bit and see how the other parts of the game turn out and then see if you like the gameplay? Also understand that the official release is in 2016 and you would be waiting quite a bit.  I am a die hard Chris roberts fanboy so i backed even though i dont like dogfighting too much ;p  so take that as you may. See you in the Verse! 

@SynapseBreak

Next step in the dogfighting should be the temporary ingame shop and multicrew ships. So perhaps you might find navigation or even engineering as a plausible task. This is pure assumption, as I do not know the breakdown of what the extra crew in a ship does. I do have the feeling that it will at least be challenging, worthwhile and fun.

Still new, but learning

i7 4790K / GTX 970 G1 Gaming / Maximus VII Hero / Swiftech H240x / Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb, 1600mhz, cl9 / 850 evo 250GB /

WD Blue 1TB / HX850 / Phanteks Enthoo Pro