AMD or INTEL for gaming?

Go to solution Solved by Archangel1994,

Even a 9590 bottlenecks a GTX 780 or higher and the likes. Get intel

I'm looking for a good CPU for gaming. I know the Intel is better however I don't know weather it's worth spending the extra money on the Intel .

I was looking at AMD fx8350 or INTEL i5-4690k?

I want to get the best proformance for money and maybe might go for the AMD-6300.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Intel

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I'm getting an r9 280

Thx

Pagani Zonda R or a Ford Taurus 1992 to pick up a girl? 

Of course Intel and Pagani

nein, nyet, not true

an 8350 can handle a single 980 or mid range cards like 760 in SLI

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

an 8350 can handle a single 980

Read the links in my signature,

Also the guy with 8 links or so will come along as well probably

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

amd WONT bottel neck a 780. although intel is better for gaming, amd fx - xxxx wont bottle neck most cards.

Buy my yoga 2 pro!  http://linustechtips.com/main/classifieds/item/2711-lenovo-yoga-2-pro-i7-4510u-8gb-ram-4k-btc-accepted/

[spoiler=Trumps Wall

]AMD FX 8320 OC@ 4.4 GHZ GPUamd sapphire 7950RAM: 12GB CORSAIR XMS3 Psu: Corsair cx 500m CASE: Corsair 800d MOBO: Asrock 970 extreme 3 r2 Storage: 256GB mx100 SSD, 1TB WD Blue,1tb Seagate Barracuda in Raid 0, 750GB Seagate Baracude. Os Windows 7
CPU: AMD A-10 5800k RAM: 4GB DDR3 Storage:Random drives Mobo:msi SomthingCase: good question   

Umm...so Intel right? *_*

Umm...so Intel right? *_*

Yes

Ok... With one ? I5-4950k is slightly out of budget?

Ok... With one ? I5-4950k is slightly out of budget?

A locked i5 like an i5 4460/4440 should be in your budget and still kick ass in gaming.

Read the links in my signature,

Also the guy with 8 links or so will come along as well probably

yes it is true the argument of why would you want to buy an old product, i would totally buy a core i3 rather than a 6300... but it is still fine if someone has an 8000 series and wants to get a gpu with more firepower

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

amd WONT bottel neck a 780. although intel is better for gaming, amd fx - xxxx wont bottle neck most cards.

it does, i owned this kit first hand for 3 months last year i was running a FX-8320@4.6ghz and a GTX 780 for gaming at 1080p and in many if not most games i've played with this combo the CPU was the limiting factor and i was having a hard time reaching 75% GPU loads in many games even with anti-aliasing cranked and stuff...AMD FX chips are pretty bad gaming CPU's.

If the FX was up to snuff for high-end cards like that, i'd still have my FX kit...intel i7 upgrade costed me over 350$ so i'd rather have that money in my pockets right now but AMD FX is old and it was a very BIG let down for me i blew up over 200$ on AMD board and CPU only to realise later that it was BARELY any better than my old Q6600@3.6ghz when it comes to gaming. Seriously. Even a core i3 play most games better than an highly overclocking FX beastly cpu and it's doing so while using LESS than HALF the energy from the wall.

now put back your AMD fanboyism back in your back pocket where it belongs and get yourself connected, look at benchmarks and reviews and see for yourself...the AMD FX CPU's have abysmal per core performance and this makes them very bad for gaming...they have never been great, they never will be...even at launch they couldnt hold-up with older intel CPU's in games (i7-930 nehalem chip is better than ANY AMD CPU when it comes to gaming, and intel improved on this for 3 more generations now, where as AMD is stuck in the past...) intel CPU's now offers litteraly twice the IPC of the now 4 years old AMD FX dinosaurs...wake up man!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR