Question about binning 970 related

z0ne

I just watched this. But it left me with a question. I know not every chip is 100% te same. But say on a GM204 chip There are 2 sm's not working. Would Nvidia cripple another sm and an L2 module to basically make this card a 970? If this is true, why dont they for instance just leave the 2 not working sm's for what they are and just sell it with the other sm and L2 still working. We all know its a silicon lottery why not make a few people extra lucky? 

z0ne

My Rig:

Model: P650RG | Brand: Clevo | CPU: 6700HQ | GPU: 980M | RAM: 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X DDR4 | SSD: 2x 480GB Kingston KC300 | Screen: 3K Panasonic IPS LED 

Cuz the getting a GTX 980 would be even less of a value than it already is.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

that would probably look bad on them if they let cards out with better specs than others. then people could flip and make huge profits from "higher binned" cards on ebay. and this need to be shown

post-145442-0-27976600-1422836557.gif

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

no one ever wants to buy something, believing that buddy next door got something better for the same price.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

that would probably look bad on them if they let cards out with better specs than others. then people could flip and make huge profits from "higher binned" cards on ebay. and this need to be shown

attachicon.gifget.gif

I still dont get why they wouldnt just like, set a min to max specs per card. This seems like a waste :\

They price it to the minimum anyway ;) So why not be happy for the guy who got a lil more value

My Rig:

Model: P650RG | Brand: Clevo | CPU: 6700HQ | GPU: 980M | RAM: 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X DDR4 | SSD: 2x 480GB Kingston KC300 | Screen: 3K Panasonic IPS LED 

I just watched this. But it left me with a question. I know not every chip is 100% te same. But say on a GM204 chip There are 2 sm's not working. Would Nvidia cripple another sm and an L2 module to basically make this card a 970? If this is true, why dont they for instance just leave the 2 not working sm's for what they are and just sell it with the other sm and L2 still working. We all know its a silicon lottery why not make a few people extra lucky? 

Cause that's not a "lottery", that's paying more to get the GTX 980.

"Rawr XD"

Yes they would disable the 3rd SM, because the customer would be 100% sure that what they're getting is the correct and proper card. Customers getting random cards would only lead to anger and confusion.

There have been plenty of times in recent history where completely functional cards have had blocks disabled just because the lower-tier product sold a lot more than the number of partially nonfunctional cards they had. Flashing AMD's HD 6950 into a 6970 was a pretty common thing to do, because most 6950s were 100% functional as 6970s.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Yes they would disable the 3rd SM, because the customer would be 100% sure that what they're getting is the correct and proper card. Customers getting random cards would only lead to anger and confusion.

There have been plenty of times in recent history where completely functional cards have had blocks disabled just because the lower-tier product sold a lot more than the number of partially nonfunctional cards they had. Flashing AMD's HD 6950 into a 6970 was a pretty common thing to do, because most 6950s were 100% functional as 6970s.

So are you saying AMD also pulls the same stuff Nvidia does?

This is truly mind-blowing.

This is a stupid question, but could there potentially be a driver or something to reenable that 8th L2 cache and give a 970 the same memory as a 980?

• 5 months later...

This is a stupid question, but could there potentially be a driver or something to reenable that 8th L2 cache and give a 970 the same memory as a 980?

It was cut out hardware wise sadly :( not possible

CPU: i7 5820K @ 4.00GHz Mobo: ASUS X99-DELUXE LGA 2011-v3RAM: Corsair LPX 64GB Quad-Channel DDR4 @ 2400MHzGPU: GTX 970 x2 SLI | Storage: 250 GB AMD SSD x 4 Raid 0