To RAID or not to RAID

WhoAteMyCookies

Hi guys, so I’m currently buying and constructing my latest rig.

For this rig I ordered a 512gb Crucial MX100. And originally I had no intention of getting a second one and using a RAID0 array, mostly due to a lack of SATA III ports, I'm a slight storage junkie, I already nave 4 6tb drives and a Bluray reader using 6 of the 8 SATA ports, but should I reconsider? I won't really be gaming on it (at least not much) as I have no fine motor skills and a truly atrocious reaction time.

So any thoughts? Was my first inclination right, or should I reconsider?

Thanks a lot for your thoughts.

For this rig I ordered a 512gb Crucial MX100. And originally I had no intention of getting a second one and using a RAID0 array, mostly due to a lack of SATA III ports, I'm a slight storage junkie, I already nave 4 6tb drives and a Bluray reader using 6 of the 8 SATA ports, but should I reconsider? I won't really be gaming on it (at least not much) as I have no fine motor skills and a truly atrocious reaction time.

If you're not looking for the speed and don't really need it then don't do it. If you wanna try and would enjoy a bit of speed, do it. 

CPU: some amd thing Motherboard: its black RAM: its memory thats for sure GPU: r7 260x Case: corsair spec 01 Storage: 1tb of it PSU: 430w, so many watts

Display: its asus Cooling: fans Keyboard: logitech g710+ #browns4lyfe Mouse: its a logitech Sound: its what you hear Operating System: winders  

Eh, SSDs are still really fast, and I don't think you'd notice the difference in boot times

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Soon to be MX100s running in RAID 0 here (x2 512GB).

I've gained the inclination to drop all mechanical drives, as I have no need for tons of storage and the noise sets me off. 

Also, the speed is simply fantastic. If I need extra storage, there is always external devices or cloud services. 

Thanks for the quick replies. As it Is I've never RAIDed a drive

before it would really interest me. However it does somehow come down

to how much do I stand to gain. It still isn't free, it would still

cost me just shy of 200sfr. And I’ve already gone overkill on the CPU,

RAM and cooling already. However 1100mb/s read and 1000mb/s write speeds are

tempting.

How often do you copy data to and from a device that can match RAID0's theoretical speeds?

I have 2x Sandisk Extreme IIs RAID 0 and while the performance is great, it's definitely not double my office PCs which use a single Sandisk 128GB drive and is therefore probably, definitely not worth it and the speed is still limited by whatever device I am reading too/writing from.

And it comes with its own set of problems - my motherboard failed and I'm currently stuck using a HDD on the temporary solution as I can't run my RAID array without formatting it, and recovery was a pain.

@WhoAteMyCookies

I wouldn't raid it.

And if you do use RAID 0 you lose both drives if one fails

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Hey WhoAteMyCookies,

While giving you a great speed boost, RAID0 doubles the points of failure on your boot drive. You have basically twice the risk of data loss on that drive in case one of the drives fail. IMHO a SSD is already fast enough and the risk of RAID0 for regular consumer usage is not worth the risk. If you are working with heavier programs with huge loading times, this would be a great improvement, but for everyday usage, you won't see such a huge improvement, compared to a RAID0 from two HDDs. 
The jump in load times from HDD to SSD is like 10s to 1s. RAID 0 effectively (theoretically) halves the load time. So if you were to RAID 0 mechanical drives, it's 10s to 5s. You derive 5s of benefit. If you were to RAID 0 SSDs instead, its like 1s to 0.5s. You derive 0.5s of benefit. Just to demonstrate that striping SSDs is nowhere as beneficial compared to mechanical drives.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Ok thanks for the input, I think I will stick with one ssd. twice the chance of data doesn't really appeal to me.

I think I came to a similar answer when I first created the blueprints for the build, but I thought I'd ask :)

so again thanks for the help.

Ok thanks for the input, I think I will stick with one ssd. twice the chance of data doesn't really appeal to me.

I think I came to a similar answer when I first created the blueprints for the build, but I thought I'd ask :)

so again thanks for the help.

Well, many people use drives in RAID0 (both SSDs and HDDs) and they last for years without a failure. A higher chance of data loss does not mean it would happen. Current HDDs and SSDs are pretty reliable and failures happen occasionally. I simply believe that people should be informed about both the good and the bad part of a certain RAID setup before going for it. It is entirely up to you to decide if you'd like to take advantage of the speed boost and risk a bit more, or go with a regular SSD speed (which is still pretty fast) and have a lower risk of data loss. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Well, many people use drives in RAID0 (both SSDs and HDDs) and they last for years without a failure. A higher chance of data loss does not mean it would happen. Current HDDs and SSDs are pretty reliable and failures happen occasionally. I simply believe that people should be informed about both the good and the bad part of a certain RAID setup before going for it. It is entirely up to you to decide if you'd like to take advantage of the speed boost and risk a bit more, or go with a regular SSD speed (which is still pretty fast) and have a lower risk of data loss. :)

Captain_WD.

TY I get what you mean. For me I just realise that the potential loss would be signifficant and the gain in speed would not be that big. Also it adds another 200+$ to the cost of the build, and I am limited in the ammount of Sata ports That I have available. And a phantom 530 only has one dedicated 2.5 at the back.

I count 1 pro, 2 if you count the wow factor and 4 cons, 5 if you count my rationalisation.