Bringing computer on an airplane

Snow0296

Hi guys,

I am currently staying in another country for my studies. Soon, I will be go back to my home country for more than a month. I planned to bring my computer since it will be the only game that I can game on. How safe is it to bring a computer on an airplane. It is just a plain setup. 3770k, stock cooler, 1 hard drive, 1 wifi pci, an ssd and ofcourse a PSU. It is in a Cooler Master Elite 34x(cant remember the exact number) M atx case. 

Thanks in advance :)

If it were me, I'd just carry the case with me at all times, regardless of what other passengers think. You're allowed your carry-on luggage and you can just sit with it on the plane.

They wont allow me to bring it in. They dont allow it here since im quite sure it is over 7kg, the limit. Im currently in Malaysia, and sometimes security can be really strict. And no trolleys, im to weak to carry it all the way up :(

Some companies are really nice and can take it to the front of the plane or something.

But then again, most of them is money whores and all they want is money.

Just call and ask whoever you'll travel with and ask what you can do if you bring that thing with you. Just don't say "beast" or it's a "bomb" and you should be fine xD

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

Linus brought his rig too lol. I don't see a problem with the bringing a rig onto a plane. When I bring my laptop/rig overseas, I just stuff a bunch of clothing or towels around the rig to make sure it doesn't get damaged. You still have to be careful with it though. I recommend those type of bags that you can just drag around.

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

Not a good idea. Pack it well and ship it to your home. 

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

This may be completely stupid but ship the case with mobo and everything sturdy. And take any loose/fragile parts in your carry on like hard drives and video cards etc.. 

I'm traveling alone. I still have the case box with me and huge piece of bubble wrap that came with my graphic card(shipped). Is it better for me to use the box or a luggage?   

As much as possible I don't want to ship it since it will be to much for me to pay and I am aware that it might cost more if any parts broke. I might pull out my graphic cards, wifi lci and hard drive.

Actually, the only thing that im most concerned about is the cpu chip.

Well if you put it in your Luggage expect  it to be thrown around and i dont think anything will protect your pc while its being thrown around. safest bet is taking out the mobo/harddrives/gpu and pack them up and carry them with you and put the rest in a bag.

I7 2600k @ 4,5GHz - 16GB Kingston 1600Mhz RAM - Asus Sabertooth P67 - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - 2x Caviar Black 1TB - ADATA 80GB Boot SSD - Club3D 7870 XT - 42" Panasonic 3D Led TV - 22" Samsung SyncMaster

Alright, Thanks guys. I might just bring my MBA home then. Gonna consider it, have about 2 weeks till my flight.

If shipping; go out and buy a bunch of packing materials, a 10 dollar investment in bubble wrap will save you 1000's

I still have a bunch of bubble wrap with me. I bought a 660ti, and they shipped it in a  huge box full of bubble wraps

SNAKES ON A PLANE!!!

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

Fill your case with as much bubble wrap as you can :D

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

I would take the WiFi card and PSU out then pack it with bubble wrap, put it in a suitcase along with the PSU and card then wrap it all in a much bubble wrap in the case. 

Then put a fragile sticker on it and hope it's not thrown around too much.

Couldnt you fill your case's insited with bubble wrap, fil the inside of your suit case with bubble wrap. Then just have a dedicated suitcase for your computer? Take it as an extra bag or something?

Depending on how much it weighs and stuff it might be ok.

I would probably just stuff it in a heavy duty case with LOADS of protective wrapping + foam etc, though even this could be risky judging by what I've seen airport staff do to people's luggage. Perhaps the airline have some sort of special item based system for expensive things. Tell them you want to transport a fragile item, something along those lines.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

is it better for me to put it in a box? the cardboard box that came with the case

Build a custom wooden crate with about 10cm to spare all around the case, then fill it with styrofoam peanuts

You can probably leave the graphicscard in and such

If you're planning to ship your PC, i would highly recommend disassembling the parts before you ship it.
Your GPU/ ram/ large cpu fan/ sound cards/ harddrives may become loose and may damage other components. 
I've had a computer posted before in UK and damaged my GPU. So, better to be safe than sorry.
If you have anti-static bags to hold them,that would be awesome. Also wrap them with lots of bubble bag.

If you're planning to bring it with you on the aeroplane, i'm not so sure if certain plane companies allow you to hand carry such a large machine? There are certain dimensions and weight rules you need to adhere to; your hand carry has to be placed in the overhead compartments.

I would try to avoid putting your whole computer in a suitcase, especially watching some videos of how staff treat your luggage/parcels. But if you disassemble and pack it well, it should be fine.

CPU: Intel 2700k (4.7) MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290X RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence (1866) CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Storage: 256GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD (Boot), 64GB Crucial M4 (SSD Cache), 1TB WD Black Cavier, 2TB Hitachi, 2.5TB Buffalo Sound Card: Xonar Essence STX Case: Corsair Graphite 600t w/ full acrylic side PSU: Corsair HX750 (individually sleeved) 
Peripherals: Filco Keyboard (Brown) Razer Deathadder, Sennheiser HD595, Zalman ZM-MIC1, Steelseries Qck Mass mousepad.
Pics of my Rig

Originally, I removed the hard drives and packed those separately with plenty of cushion. More recently, I checked it in as a fragile item; there was a specific baggage drop-off for oversized/fragile items. It survived 3 trips (only damage was a broken thumbscrew for the side panel). The latter 2 trips were with the HDDs installed, and both survived. Used the original case packaging (foam was a bit beaten up, but it managed).

Should be fine as long as there's a separate drop-off for fragile items. If not, I'd pack it extra carefully with lots of cushioning before checking it in. Could always tell the folks at the baggage checkin that the items are fragile.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

You could ship it but that could be expensive depending on where you live

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat