Bug In Intel H87 Chipset. Allows Ratio-Based Overclocking

warmon6

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/h87-express-overclocking-bug,23273.html

Intel forgets to lock down the ability to overclocked on H87 motherboards using ratio's and Asrock has exploited it with their "non-z OC" function in bios.

H87-performance_i7-4770K-OC-4.8G.JPG

H87-non-z-oc-2-.jpg

H87-non-z-oc-1-.jpg

If intel doesn't do anything about it, this could be a great way to save a bit of cash if your wanting to overclock a cpu. (Since Intel does like to charge extra for allowing you to overclock on there K-series cpus). 

how long will the oc last if the h87 boards arn't ment for ocing

2500k 4.0ghz,GTX 1070 oc,MSI Z77A-GD55,G.SKILL Ripjaws(4 x 2GB)DDR3 1333,OCZ Arc 100 240gb,Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB,Corsair TX 750w v1,CoolerMaster HAF 912,Hyper 212 EVO

how long will the oc last if the h87 boards arn't ment for ocing

Well in this particular case, the board there using is the Fatal1ty H87 Performance. Which it seams to be designed with extra hardware that wouldn't normally be needed for stock clock operation. So I'm going to guess the board will last for a while.  ;)

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20H87%20Performance/

Now will "all" H87 boards will have the ability to do this, and if so, will MB makers allow it? That's a different question.

I'd rather spend the extra 20 bucks to get a safer more legit overclock. This seems kinda sketchy, especially for a 20 doller difference.

My Rig: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 8 gb Patriot Viper 2133 mhz, Corsair C70 (Black), EVGA Supernova 750g Modular PSU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, Asus next gen wifi card.

I'd rather spend the extra 20 bucks to get a safer more legit overclock. This seems kinda sketchy, especially for a 20 doller difference.

I know and get better quality power to the chip but for a small overclock it's nice.

2500k 4.0ghz,GTX 1070 oc,MSI Z77A-GD55,G.SKILL Ripjaws(4 x 2GB)DDR3 1333,OCZ Arc 100 240gb,Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB,Corsair TX 750w v1,CoolerMaster HAF 912,Hyper 212 EVO

How do the K-Series chips work anyways? Are they binned or is it more of a "we'll push a button and unlock this if you give us more money".

How do the K-Series chips work anyways? Are they binned or is it more of a "we'll push a button and unlock this if you give us more money".

The K-series are not binned they are just unlocked and that's it. So you can either get one that overclocks alot or overclocks very little.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

While I'm certain there is some binning that goes on to determines what makes a cpu "K-series worthy", Most of it is just enabling the option.

Heres a video about it. :)  

Nice find  B)

This is kinda cool cause the overclocking boards are expensive so this'll help anyone on a budget and/or in the long run when the "average" user's computer begins to slow down they can OC it a little to push some extra time out of it ^_^

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

epic! if only they would forget to lock all there cpu's then we'ed be on for some cheap oc'ed haswell i7 and i5 rigs 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016