Did my PSU just blow up?

JorenBus

Hello all,

A few days ago, I ordered a new R9 280 and a Corsair VS550 PSU. When I booted up my pc this morning, my screen froze, keyboard didn't work, and the fans of my GPU started running like crazy. I couldn't turn off my pc so I disabled the PSU. Now my pc won't boot up anymore, the PSU is just like trying to boot up all the time, but it doesn't work. A fan in the back of my pc starts running every 10 seconds for about 5 seconds. So did I just blew up my PSU? I've had it for 5 days...

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

Lol, sounds pretty bad. 

If your fans are plugged into your motherboard could it be the motherboard freaking out. 

Hope the there wasn't too much damage done. I'd get it rma'd if I were you. Good luck! 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

First try testing the system with another psu and if it boots fine, then you know where the problem lies  :)

If not... then you'll probably have to tear down your system and test everything individually...  <_<

Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"

Sounds like a mobo problem. 

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

Have you tried with another PSU, bigger one? And a R9 280+550W?? uwotm8.

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

The AMD site recommends a 500Watt PSU, so I should be fine. Later this day I'll try with my old PSU, and see if that works or not.

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

Let's hope it's not the mobo, I can replace my PSU for free, I'm afraid my mobo will be a bit more expensive...

When I booted up my pc this morning, my screen froze, keyboard didn't work, and the fans of my GPU started running like crazy.

Means your PSU was still working, it shuts itself down if it doesn't.

Probably a motherboard issue, try running without the GPU.

Means your PSU was still working, it shuts itself down if it doesn't.

Probably a motherboard issue, try running without the GPU.

Tried that, disconnected everything from my GPU, pc still wouldn't boot up.

Tried that, disconnected everything from my GPU, pc still wouldn't boot up.

Ill assume its dead. Buy a 650W

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

Ill assume its dead. Buy a 650W

The AMD site itself recommends a 500 Watt PSU... Also, I have this PSU for 5 days, I'm just going to replace it and never ever buy a Corsair product again.

The AMD site itself recommends a 500 Watt PSU... Also, I have this PSU for 5 days, I'm just going to replace it and never ever buy a Corsair product again.

YOU CAN WARRANTY THE PSU

(NOW)War Horse:

(WAS)Old Coop:

I just noticed that all my fans (GPU, CPU, PSU) start spinning for a short period of time

I just noticed that all my fans (GPU, CPU, PSU) start spinning for a short period of time

then it not the PSU but something else

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Yeah, PC doesnt work with the old PSU either. Disconnected everything: RAM, hard drives, GPU,...

Nothing works, so it's probably the motherboard...

I have no idea what to do now  :huh:

Yeah, PC doesnt work with the old PSU either. Disconnected everything: RAM, hard drives, GPU,...

Nothing works, so it's probably the motherboard...

I have no idea what to do now  :huh:

As long as you haven't voided the warranty (or used the mobo as a frisbee ;) ) you should be able to RMA it.

Where do bad folks go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the angels fly
They go to the lake of fire and fry, Won't see them again 'till the fourth of July

As long as you haven't voided the warranty (or used the mobo as a frisbee ;) ) you should be able to RMA it.

My PC is already more than 3 years old, so I'm afraid I won't have waranty on my mobo

My PC is already more than 3 years old, so I'm afraid I won't have waranty on my mobo

Unlucky man, but some shops in the UK provide a 3 or a 5 year warranty (Scan and Overclockers i think) so if you're in the UK and purchased it from them you're in luck :)

Where do bad folks go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the angels fly
They go to the lake of fire and fry, Won't see them again 'till the fourth of July

Unlucky man, but some shops in the UK provide a 3 or a 5 year warranty (Scan and Overclockers i think) so if you're in the UK and purchased it from them you're in luck :)

I'm from Belgium and I just realised my PC is already 5 years old hehe

Not sure if this is late or not but I had a similar issue with an old computer build of mine. It wound up being that the power button shorted out and was causing the system to power cycle due to being constantly connected. I had to swap the mobo connector to my reset switch to get the system to power on. Might want to give that a try seeing as it is powering on then off again.

Not sure if this is late or not but I had a similar issue with an old computer build of mine. It wound up being that the power button shorted out and was causing the system to power cycle due to being constantly connected. I had to swap the mobo connector to my reset switch to get the system to power on. Might want to give that a try seeing as it is powering on then off again.

Tried that, didn't work either unfortunately. I ordered a new mobo.

Yes, same thing happened to me, but it was a long time ago and it was some cheap Chinese psu too