Selecting cpu and mobo to pair with high end GPU (r9 290)

Go to solution Solved by i_build_nanosuits,

Yes i will buy a cooler and since the 4670k combo is 35$ less i could invest in a better cooler for better OC

So you think the 4670k can handle CF 290x ?

Thanks, as i said "i'm going with an EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 (80+ Gold)"

Yes i've seen your prices and the kit with the i5-4670K and Z87 motherboard is what you should shoot for and yes it can handle the 290X's

THIS: --> MSI Z87-G55 (95e) +i5 4670k (230e)=335 euros

This is the best gaming kit for the buck in what you've listed.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z87-G55.html#hero-overview

vs

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87PLUS/overview/

vs

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87M%20Extreme4/

They are all in the same price group so i'm trying to see if there is any difference in quality or company

I thought the asus was nice cause it has a 1 click OC

The asrock has something similar but i dont think it works like an OC, more like dedicating the system

i think the msi is better, it's the only one with

• 3 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots

EDIT: yeah the MSI g55 SLI seem to be the better board here.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

nvm

I thought you were right, it does look like the second slot was 2.0 so it would choke the gpu

edit: i didnt have time to read the rest u said :P

I thought you were right, it does look like the second slot was 2.0 so it would choke the gpu

edit: i didnt have time to read the rest u said :P

haha sry i was editing all the time :P

i'd go with the MSI G55 SLI personaly, i think it's the better board of the 3.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Have you tried looking at gigabyte boards

Theyre good

Personally go for the asus

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

Have you tried looking at gigabyte boards

Theyre good

Personally go for the asus

like i_build_nanosuits said, the asus will throttle the CF GPUS

It has only 1 pcie 3.0 so its going to limit the bandwith of the second GPU

the only gigabyte at this price range is Gigabyte G1.Sniper B5 which doesnt seem good

the next is 30% more expensive

like i_build_nanosuits said, the asus has will throttle the CF GPUS

It has only 1 pcie 3.0 so its going to limit the bandwith of the second GPU

the only gigabyte at this price range is Gigabyte G1.Sniper B5 which doesnt seem good

the next is 30% more expensive

Isnt the ud3h bk able fr crossfire

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

Isnt the ud3h bk able fr crossfire

Thats the expensive one i was talking about

Lol

Go to pcpartpicker.com

U can see list of mobo that supports cfire

just tell him we did all that already...have you ordered parts?

just tell him we did all that already...have you ordered parts?

nope.

now that i've settled on the 4670k (99% sure) with sapphire r9 290 (decided in another post) with the evga 1000 g2 (thats another post too lol), the ripjawsx ram (1600mhz 9-9-9) and the msi Z87-G55 mobo we were talking about, i still have to find the proper cooler which will allow me to OC if i wish to (keeping in mind that i'm going to CF r9 290 in the future)

Lol

Go to pcpartpicker.com

U can see list of mobo that supports cfire

I did, and i checked the ones available here. The 3 i mentioned are the more affordable options in greece.

nope.

now that i've settled on the 4670k (99% sure) with sapphire r9 290 (decided in another post) with the evga 1000 g2 (thats another post too lol), the ripjawsx ram (1600mhz 9-9-9) and the msi Z87-G55 mobo we were talking about, i still have to find the proper cooler which will allow me to OC if i wish to (keeping in mind that i'm going to CF r9 290 in the future)

Great parts selection, those really seems to be the best performing parts for the price where you are located.

The i5-4670K is a pretty efficient CPU and all you really need to be able to get a substantial overclock out of it would be a cooler master hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler...this is a 30 USD cooler that is a leader in price/performance, it won't break the bank but will defenetly keep that CPU cool enough unless you really start cranking the voltages and do a silly overclock on the CPU...

Provided you install these parts in a well vented case that has somewhat good airflow you should have no problem hiting 4.2 to 4.5ghz easily.

Have you thought about a case yet?

Full airflow:

Phanteks enthoo pro

Thermal core v41

Silence

H440

R5

Silent base 800

Budget

N400

Reason why it isnt s340 is because there isnt enough fans provided

Literally one

I highly recommend h440 and enthoo pro

Full airflow:

Phanteks enthoo pro

Thermal core v41

Silence

H440

R5

Silent base 800

Budget

N400

Reason why it isnt s340 is because there isnt enough fans provided

Literally one

I highly recommend h440 and enthoo pro

I cant understand which of these is what ^^

have you started looking at cases? what shop are you looking to order from?

yes that's a nice case if the price is good on it and you like it then i'd go for it...the front intake fan placed in the middle of the chassis like that is perfect as this will provide fresh air for your GPU's.

The case comes with lots of fans too which is good.

yes that's a nice case if the price is good on it and you like it then i'd go for it...the front intake fan placed in the middle of the chassis like that is perfect as this will provide fresh air for your GPU's.

The case comes with lots of fans too which is good.

I found a better one but i dont know how to check how many fans my mobo supports

http://www.aerocool.com.tw/index.php/pgs/pgs-v/34-case/pgs-v/801-vs-92-black-edition-information

edit: looks like we were wrong about the asus z87

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87PLUS/specifications/

It just says that it has 2x pcie 3.0 x 16 slots that can be used as pci3 2.0 x16

edit: looks like we were wrong about the asus z87

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87PLUS/specifications/

It just says that it has 2x pcie 3.0 x 16 slots that can be used as pci3 2.0 x16

Weren't you gonna get the MSI Z87 G55?

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Weren't you gonna get the MSI Z87 G55?

It just went up 25% in price, thats why i looked at the asus again.

Im also considering

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4966#sp

edit: Looks like im going with the asus, cant find any serious reason to consider the more expensive gigabyte.

My build is nearly complete, only case and cooler left (got some suggestions, just gotta see what fits best)

Any idea how to figure out how many fans a mobo can run ? cause some cases have like 10 and 12 fans but i dont know where the hell they connect

go watch hardware canucks

It just went up 25% in price, thats why i looked at the asus again.

Im also considering

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4966#sp

edit: Looks like im going with the asus, cant find any serious reason to consider the more expensive gigabyte.

My build is nearly complete, only case and cooler left (got some suggestions, just gotta see what fits best)

Any idea how to figure out how many fans a mobo can run ? cause some cases have like 10 and 12 fans but i dont know where the hell they connect

Yes, since the Asus does have full CFX support, it will be your best choice.

That mobo supports 4 fans, (most mobos support 4 or 5 fans); you can check under "specifications > internal I/O ports > 4 x chassis fan connectors". Anyway, a case with as many as 10 fans will tend to come with an integrated fan controller, installed on its top front; if it has less fans (e.g. 6) and it doesn't come with a fan controller, you can buy one yourself and install it, since they are usually pretty inexpensive anyway.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

@pitprok The site with the Aerocool cases you linked earlier has some fan controllers there as well. I recommend you get one that has gradual fan control, that allows you to set it at any speed you want though, not one of those that only has 3 speeds (too low / normal / too high).