Looking for decent speakers, or audio setup

drewjn
Go to solution Solved by meritmaster,

I want the speakers for gaming, media and so forth. My taste in music, if that helps, is a bit broad as I listen to classical as well. So my worry is when I see speakers that go bass heavy or just ignore balance to heighten one area and ignore the rest. So a decent balance with no major part of the range sounding like mud would be very important for me.

The logitech would be something to look at, but between those and the creative gigaworks t40 that you suggested earlier, which would you go for? Also, how does those compare with your initial suggestion of individual speakers in terms of sound quality? Would any of them be viable to use as standalone for a month or so before I buy further components and possibly add on, or are they purely speakers only for their original orientation? Either way is fine and extra speakers in different rooms for other purposes isn't going to ruin me, but just would like to know a bit more before I splurge in a purchase. This would also help in figuring out an overall budget and plan that I will need to work with. I just don't have the time to visit an audio specialized store until at least the weekend, or maybe even next week.

Well i would always just save up for permanent system, and not throw the 140 dollars out the window on a temporary one, but i've done the same thing when i was 16 and purchased a cheap CA 2.1 system from Frys, it was fairly decent and did tie me off, but it still slowed down the process of me getting a real system, as i wasted 100 dollars :P. I would stick with a decent pair of headphone and save up for an amp, and three decent speakers to start you out. If you need speakers for hassle free listening or so friends can also hear then get either one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Bose-Companion-Multimedia-Speaker-System/dp/B000HZDF8W/ref=sr_1_58?ie=UTF8&qid=1422346323&sr=8-58&keywords=2.1+computer+speakers(The Bose sound really good, and you would be amazed by the power these little things can spit out, it sounds crisp and poppy. Good highs, decent mids, and enough bass to satisfy you)  http://www.amazon.com/Creative-GigaWorks-Multimedia-BasXPort-Technology/dp/B001S14DYO/ref=sr_1_50?ie=UTF8&qid=1422346240&sr=8-50&keywords=2.1+computer+speakers ( these are also another set of decent speakers, the speaker fabric is even made out of kevlar! My speakers are kevlar, and sound really clear because of it, so that's always a plus, but i've also heard these at a friends house, and they are pretty nice for everything, definitely balanced)

Try to make it to a Marantz store, but a best buy magnolia (Pretty impressive selection), you can learn a lot from just listening to all the speakers they have, as you can walk in and play anything xD

I prefer not spending more than $140 for the overall system/setup; but budget is negotiable. If I can get something decent for cheaper, even better. By the way, this thread is not about headphones in any way, so I don't need any suggestions on those at this time.

Not a major audiophile and know very little in what makes a good sound system. I would like to create one for my new computer and need some advice on what I should get, and what options. I prefer quality and balanced mids, highs and lows.

What sort of sound setup should I try to make, and what brands should I get?

Still new, but learning

i7 4790K / GTX 970 G1 Gaming / Maximus VII Hero / Swiftech H240x / Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb, 1600mhz, cl9 / 850 evo 250GB /

WD Blue 1TB / HX850 / Phanteks Enthoo Pro

If you want Surround sound I'm not quite sure due to me having a 7.3 surround sound system (tad more then $140), but a great 2.1 setup would be the Logitech z623 speakers. They have great sound, And even better bass. If you look in the right places you will pick them up for $140 (If I can if them for that in Australia, You'll find them reasonably easily over there), But that is my opinion. Also I have seen alot of reviews and almost are all positive.

Chair

For most computer use, I think a simple pair of bookshelf speakers is best. not sure what you can find in Oz specifically for tyre budget, however.

If you want Surround sound I'm not quite sure due to me having a 7.3 surround sound system (tad more then $140)

Why do you have 3 subwoofers?

For now, I don't mind buying it in parts. I just want something serviceable for a small room. Could be standalone or in the makings of a full 7.1 or 5.1 later on.

Still new, but learning

i7 4790K / GTX 970 G1 Gaming / Maximus VII Hero / Swiftech H240x / Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb, 1600mhz, cl9 / 850 evo 250GB /

I prefer not spending more than $140 for the overall system/setup; but budget is negotiable. If I can get something decent for cheaper, even better. By the way, this thread is not about headphones in any way, so I don't need any suggestions on those at this time.

Not a major audiophile and know very little in what makes a good sound system. I would like to create one for my new computer and need some advice on what I should get, and what options. I prefer quality and balanced mids, highs and lows.

What sort of sound setup should I try to make, and what brands should I get?

Well it might start a little bit higher than $140 to begin collecting a system, so let me put in my few cents; You're going to need a amp, and it doesn't have to be the best, but you will be wanting to get something 50-75 watt aside amp, and that itself will cost around 140 new, or you can perhaps find a decent one at a garage sale for cheaper, but it needs to be  5.1. I wouldn't buy any of those all in one bundle, and instead customize your speaker to your liking. I'll give you a few links for some decent starting speakers:http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primus-Two-way-Bookshelf-Satellite/dp/B0044D3R7M/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1422333758&sr=1-2&keywords=infinity++bookshelf+speakers (Inifinity speakers that would be your sides, you will need two of them! They also come in a bigger size, but the price differentiates) http://www.amazon.com/MTX-TFE60C-Timeframe-Evolution-Channel/dp/B004PRKP4A/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1422333854&sr=1-2&keywords=MTX+center+speaker This will be your center (You want a decent center with decent cones, and good tweeters) The back speakers you can buy later, but i prefer decent speakers and something to overkill, as it is just the background noise, and cheaper speakers cope fine for backs. I wouldn't look for a sub right away, those infinities will give you a pretty decent bass, so they should be able to please you until you can save up money for a decent sub; i would recommend this subwoofer: http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Power-10-Sub-Subwoofer/dp/B008AV0YXO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1422334172&sr=1-1&keywords=energy+sub

I don't see any good reason why anyone would spend the money for an all in one system, when it's sub par to buying your own system piece by piece. The speakers i linked should give you a general idea in the right direction to go. Also spend some time in audio stores, and learn about the difference between shit audio, and good audio, it will help! 

Good luck :P

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

For most computer use, I think a simple pair of bookshelf speakers is best. not sure what you can find in Oz specifically for tyre budget, however.

If you want Surround sound I'm not quite sure due to me having a 7.3 surround sound system (tad more then $140), but a great 2.1 setup would be the Logitech z623 speakers. They have great sound, And even better bass. If you look in the right places you will pick them up for $140 (If I can if them for that in Australia, You'll find them reasonably easily over there), But that is my opinion. Also I have seen alot of reviews and almost are all positive.

Chair

Indeed, why the hell do you want three subs?

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

Indeed, why the hell do you want three subs?

Why not have 3 subs, Gotta love that feeling when you feel the bass through you. 

Why the hell not.

Third sub is abit hard to see but that is what it looks like 

gallery_136077_2128_250496.jpg

@meritmaster

That is a lot of useful information. I think I will go that route later. For now though, I think I might go for a decent cheap set of computer speaks to hold me over till I deal with a few other priorities.

Anything out there for cheap speakers that I can get that isn't utter garbage? It will likely be tossed aside once I get a good audio system setup

Still new, but learning

It might not be what you're looking for, but I just purchased the Microlab Solo-6C and they're amazing! Great price and amazing sound quality....

But if you're looking for some sort of surround sound or anything then it may not be the best bet. 

The bass is really amazing, but if you end up craving more you can easily add a sub on later. 

Just my 2 cents :)

CPU i5 4430 3Ghz | Ram: 16GB DDR3 1600 | GPU: GTX 650 Ti 1GB | Mobo: H87N-Wifi | Case: White Bitfenix Prodigy | Boot Drive: 120GB 840 Evo (Mac OS X) 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 (Windows) | Games Drive: 640GB WD Green | OS: Windows 8 & OS X 10.9.1

I love all technology. The perfection of macs for my designer side, and the hardware and fun of tinkering on the of the pc side. We can have it all, just not at the same time.

Why not have 3 subs, Gotta love that feeling when you feel the bass through you. 

Why the hell not.

Third sub is abit hard to see but that is what it looks like 

gallery_136077_2128_250496.jpg

Sounds like you enjoy the vibrations, and wub wub noise than actual music ><. That room is tiny, so there is no need for three subwoofers! I would of spent the money on better speakers :P

@meritmaster

That is a lot of useful information. I think I will go that route later. For now though, I think I might go for a decent cheap set of computer speaks to hold me over till I deal with a few other priorities.

Anything out there for cheap speakers that I can get that isn't utter garbage? It will likely be tossed aside once I get a good audio system setup

I figured so, it can be expensive going down that route ><

Here are a few speakers that i've always though sounded balanced and nice, so take these into consideration: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-GigaWorks-Multimedia-BasXPort-Technology/dp/B001S14DYO/ref=sr_1_50?ie=UTF8&qid=1422346240&sr=8-50&keywords=2.1+computer+speakers  

http://www.amazon.com/Bose-Companion-Multimedia-Speaker-System/dp/B000HZDF8W/ref=sr_1_58?ie=UTF8&qid=1422346323&sr=8-58&keywords=2.1+computer+speakers (These speakers are pretty nice sounding for what they are, so i would recommend these if alot of bass isn't a big deal for you. 

if you're looking for subwoofer combo check out these two: http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1422346669&sr=1-1&keywords=2.1+computer+speakers (i like this one better)

and http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VAHYTG/ref=psdc_172471_t2_B000062VUO

~Abraham Lincoln

@meritmaster

As mentioned previously, Logitech Z623 could be an option.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-000402-Speaker-System-Black/dp/B003VAHYTG

They do very well for the price.

Yea, it's a good deal if you need something for the moment, still better than the generic speakers most people use :S.

~Abraham Lincoln

Sounds like you enjoy the vibrations, and wub wub noise than actual music ><. That room is tiny, so there is no need for three subwoofers! I would of spent the money on better speakers :P

Well to be honest, I didnt pay for anything, I have picked all of it up over the years and I originally had a single subwoofer (the center one) and got the other 2 from a friend who I was working for and I work for them due to the amplifier being fried (turns out when I did a tear down his child spilled coke or something like that down there with out my friend noticing :P) But I never Bought anything except for 2 speakers for $10. Score I suppose. Its just knowing what your doing, Who you know and what you find xD

Chair

Multiple subs can also reduce locality, and some well-recorded music can make legitimate use of stereo subs. I doubt the latter is the motivating factor here, though.

@SSL Locality isn't an issue with subs in a small room unless they are crossed high, distort, have a low slope filter or suffer from port noise. 99% of all music is joint stereo below 200hz, so stereo also isn't a factor. Reducing the effect of room modes or having an equal SPL troughout a room is the only thing I could think of for people to buy multiple subs.

I figured so, it can be expensive going down that route ><

Here are a few speakers that i've always though sounded balanced and nice, so take these into consideration: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-GigaWorks-Multimedia-BasXPort-Technology/dp/B001S14DYO/ref=sr_1_50?ie=UTF8&qid=1422346240&sr=8-50&keywords=2.1+computer+speakers  

http://www.amazon.com/Bose-Companion-Multimedia-Speaker-System/dp/B000HZDF8W/ref=sr_1_58?ie=UTF8&qid=1422346323&sr=8-58&keywords=2.1+computer+speakers (These speakers are pretty nice sounding for what they are, so i would recommend these if alot of bass isn't a big deal for you. 

if you're looking for subwoofer combo check out these two: http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1422346669&sr=1-1&keywords=2.1+computer+speakers (i like this one better)

and http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VAHYTG/ref=psdc_172471_t2_B000062VUO

I want the speakers for gaming, media and so forth. My taste in music, if that helps, is a bit broad as I listen to classical as well. So my worry is when I see speakers that go bass heavy or just ignore balance to heighten one area and ignore the rest. So a decent balance with no major part of the range sounding like mud would be very important for me.

The logitech would be something to look at, but between those and the creative gigaworks t40 that you suggested earlier, which would you go for? Also, how does those compare with your initial suggestion of individual speakers in terms of sound quality? Would any of them be viable to use as standalone for a month or so before I buy further components and possibly add on, or are they purely speakers only for their original orientation? Either way is fine and extra speakers in different rooms for other purposes isn't going to ruin me, but just would like to know a bit more before I splurge in a purchase. This would also help in figuring out an overall budget and plan that I will need to work with. I just don't have the time to visit an audio specialized store until at least the weekend, or maybe even next week.

Still new, but learning

I want the speakers for gaming, media and so forth. My taste in music, if that helps, is a bit broad as I listen to classical as well. So my worry is when I see speakers that go bass heavy or just ignore balance to heighten one area and ignore the rest. So a decent balance with no major part of the range sounding like mud would be very important for me.

It is a capable and flexible set for the price. You can adjust the sub level and play with placement to ensure that you have a smooth transition between the bass module and the satellites. Satellite aim is also a factor, so look at that too.

If you need to correct the sound, you can always apply a software EQ. The fact that these speakers at least meet THX Certified Multimedia level fidelity and sound pressure specifications is an added assurance.

Well i would always just save up for permanent system, and not throw the 140 dollars out the window on a temporary one, but i've done the same thing when i was 16 and purchased a cheap CA 2.1 system from Frys, it was fairly decent and did tie me off, but it still slowed down the process of me getting a real system, as i wasted 100 dollars :P. I would stick with a decent pair of headphone and save up for an amp, and three decent speakers to start you out. If you need speakers for hassle free listening or so friends can also hear then get either one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Bose-Companion-Multimedia-Speaker-System/dp/B000HZDF8W/ref=sr_1_58?ie=UTF8&qid=1422346323&sr=8-58&keywords=2.1+computer+speakers(The Bose sound really good, and you would be amazed by the power these little things can spit out, it sounds crisp and poppy. Good highs, decent mids, and enough bass to satisfy you)  http://www.amazon.com/Creative-GigaWorks-Multimedia-BasXPort-Technology/dp/B001S14DYO/ref=sr_1_50?ie=UTF8&qid=1422346240&sr=8-50&keywords=2.1+computer+speakers ( these are also another set of decent speakers, the speaker fabric is even made out of kevlar! My speakers are kevlar, and sound really clear because of it, so that's always a plus, but i've also heard these at a friends house, and they are pretty nice for everything, definitely balanced)

Try to make it to a Marantz store, but a best buy magnolia (Pretty impressive selection), you can learn a lot from just listening to all the speakers they have, as you can walk in and play anything xD

~Abraham Lincoln

I think I might grab that gigatech one then. Sort of sold me on the kevlar, and will likely put off the whole system for later on. At the very least I could re-use those speakers for other comps or small tvs.

Still new, but learning

I think I might grab that gigatech one then. Sort of sold me on the kevlar, and will likely put off the whole system for later on. At the very least I could re-use those speakers for other comps or small tvs.

I would of done the same if i were you :P. Yea, they can be useful for that kind of stuff also, and plus they are better than anything you have atm probably, so why not fool around with better sound :P. Tell meh what you think of them!

~Abraham Lincoln