GTX 980 or wait for GTX 980Ti (or whatever it'll be called)?

Jimstah87

Hey LTT community, would just like to get some of your opinions on this, I am currently playing on a 2GB GTX 670 @ 1440p and am finding myself hitting the 2GB buffer, I want to upgrade soon though should I wait for the 980Ti?

we don't even know if it will ever exist.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Depends on if you can afford to wait. Newer hardware will always be better in a way (performance, power consumption, features)
Is it worth the wait? no one knows.

Welp

I would honestly wait for some graphics cards to come out. Such as some GTX XXX R9 3XX, Etc... But if you need performance NOW I would buy a 980 due to the current issues with the 970.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

i dont think nvidia will launch a better card than the 980 until amd makes a move.thats later in q2. If they do launch a card earlier it would be a titan and cost 1000$+ .i say buy now but its up to you

I don't believe a 980ti is coming anytime soon. And if it does, I'm sure it'll be a wallet stab.

However, waiting for the new AMD cards is a pretty good idea. You already have a capable setup, and the cards are confirmed to launch in Q2 2015. So... yeah. All hail AMD.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

There will not be a 980ti.

Saying there will is like saying that you will win the lottery.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

the next gpu will be their gm 200 chip, most likely a lead up to the titan, not a 980 ti. the 980 is already a fully capable gm 204 chip

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

I dont see a GM200 1080 coming anytime before Q4. Titan 2 for 1399.99 will be available in march 

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

AMD 300 series!!! However, if you want an Nvidia card, the 980 is really powerful. From what I have seen, the next card above the GTX 980 will be a Titan, which as Vlad said, will likely be much more expensive. 

I would honestly wait for some graphics cards to come out. Such as some GTX XXX R9 3XX, Etc... But if you need performance NOW I would buy a 980 due to the current issues with the 970.

What issues?

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

I did some looking after replying to you. This really pisses me off actually. I wonder if this is good reason for some sort of class action lawsuit if they don't repay all of the people they just dicked on.

Привет товарищ ))))

I did some looking after replying to you. This really pisses me off actually. I wonder if this is good reason for some sort of class action lawsuit if they don't repay all of the people they just dicked on.

There will be no lawsuit. Nvidia is covered. Stop crying

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

There will be no lawsuit. Nvidia is covered. Stop crying

Lol.

I have a perfect reason to complain when a company lies to their customers.

Don't be stupid.

Привет товарищ ))))

I have a GTX 980 with a 1440p screen and it maxes just about everything at 60 fps with maybe a couple dips here and there. Keep in mind at 1440p you don't need much AA. The 980 is definitely powerful enough for the time being at 2560x1440, but if you don't need the power now and you can wait a couple months for a possible new release then go for it.

Unless you put crazy AA on, the only games I've had trouble hitting 60+ on all the time are ARMA 3 and a couple large-scale strategy games (Total war with two full size armies can get pretty brutal).

The only other one I can think of right now is Company of Heroes 2. It doesn't really make sense to me- it looks pretty good, don't get me wrong, but not better than Crysis 3 or Metro LL.

My PC: MSI X99s SLI PLUS///Intel i7 5820k///Corsair H100i///Crucial DDR4 12GB///EVGA Supernova Gold 750w G2///ASUS GTX 1080 Strix///Phanteks Enthoo Luxe///Intel 730 240GB SSD///WD Blue 1TB///Intel 6250 WiFi
Current Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598///Corsair K70 LUX///Logitech MX Master///Razer Destructor 2///Saitek X52///Acer X34 Predator

There will not be a 980ti.

Saying there will is like saying that you will win the lottery.

so there's the smallest chance it will happen!!! lol

so there's the smallest chance it will happen!!! lol

exactly, but if you expect it to happen then its very likely you will be disappointed

so its better to not expect it, and be pleasantly surprised if for some voodoo magic it does happen :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If you have $1k+ to spend on the next Titan wait till march for GTC.
If not buy the 980 unless you want to wait until the end of the year for the GTX1080

RTX2070OC 

If it weren't for the recent issues with the GTX 970 I would probably recommend that card instead of the GTX 980 just because of the huge price difference. I got myself a pair of 980s at launch though and I haven't been disappointed. The 290X is still probably the best value though considering the current GTX 970 issues.

Ryzen 7 5800X | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | 64GB G.Skill 3600 MHz | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC | Phanteks P500ACorsair RM1000X | 3x2TB NVME, 4TB 870 Evo Arctic Freezer II 280 AIO | LG CX Oled 55" 

I don´t think we will see anything else real soon other than the next GeForce Titan. The original Titan was launched in February 2013 and there´s a chance that the next Titan could be launched in February 2015. I also doubt the card will be 1400USD, maybe in the beginning for early adopters that want this card on launch date.

I can see this card being priced between 1000 and 1100 USD and I know a lot of people that wait for this card, including myself.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

If you want to upgrade today, then buy the 980.

If you want to upgrade in a few months, chances are the 380x/390x/w/e amd comes out with will be a much better option. (Even if a 980 Ti comes out, you'll pay a $300 premium on it over the AMD top end.)

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Never heard of the 980 Ti.

If you like the waiting game, you could play that. 

Lol.

I have a perfect reason to complain when a company lies to their customers.

Don't be stupid.

The Gtx 970 has 3.5gb's (sorta like a single C Drive) then 0.5 gb's which is like taking part of that C drive and making a D drive. Programs aren't use to this second allocation of ram.  

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit