HD600 vs K70x vs dt880. I need a new pair of headphones under $300

Hi, I'm new to the linusTechTips forums.

I'm looking for some headphones under $300. I listen to both electro and acoustic songs. I want a good soundstage, a neutral sound and a good, though not muddy bass. I recently bought an O2 amp from mayflower electronics (IDK why I did that before getting the headphones). I currently own a sennheiser HD202, which I EQ to get a close to neutral sound. The bass on that is excellent, It vibrates my head when I use V4A and put +10 db on 30Hz. That is the type of bass I want (not that strong though). I also own the jaybird bluebuds x and I also EQed these to close to neutral. I get the same sound with my EQ on poweramp compared to accudio's profile, with very slightly more "excitement"

This is what I found out : 

HD600 : Extremely neutral sound, nice bass, though a bit quiet, a good soundstage size and some amazing soundstage quality and imaging(PLZ, somebody explain what this is). This is supposedly the best option.

K702 : Too quiet bass, gigantic soundstage size, but of inferior quality. The sound is not as neutral.

DT880 : small soundstage since this is a semi-open model, neutral sound.

So for me, which one would be the best.

i use the HD 650s powered by the xonar STX with LME49720 OPamps and no EQ settings. Bass is strong but not harsh.

i listen to a lot of classical, folk, and electronic music for reference

in the future i plan on grabbing a nicer tube amp.

Boomy bass and open headphones don't really go together. The Sony MDR 1R is very nice and has really good boomy bass but it has a small soundstage because it's closed. The DT770 has a pretty good soundstage for being closed but it's V curved. Shure 1540 is also an option but it's out of your price range. I don't think you're going to find exactly what you want in a headphone. It just doesn't exist. You gotta compromise somewhere. 

I would not like the sound of the HE400s, since the lack treble. As for the DT990, They have a way too unnatural v sound. But well, all this is based on graphs. As for the bass, the 30Hz boost is just to show what type of bass I like, but i never turn them on when listening to music. I personally do not like a boost in the 150-500 Hz range.

I would not like the sound of the HE400s, since the lack treble. As for the DT990, They have a way too unnatural v sound. But well, all this is based on graphs. As for the bass, the 30Hz boost is just to show what type of bass I like, but i never turn them on when listening to music. I personally do not like a boost in the 150-500 Hz range.

Like I said, you need to compromise somewhere. You're being way too picky and what you're looking for doesn't exist.

You can't have head-shaking bass and a neutral sound, it's a contradiction. Most open, dynamic headphones have roll-off below 100Hz.

Another option occurs to me, the Phillips Fidelio X2.

In reality, HE400's trebles spike too much that lots of owners complain of that sharp sting of the high frequencies. It's the mid and upper-mid that the HE400 is lacking. 

It's a V curve headphone, and it's good for people who love V curves. People looking for neutral or flat won't touch it.

I'd recommend going for a used HD650 based off what you're describing. K612 is a good stepping stone - has better bass than the K70x's, and will also give you more play with the volume control than Sennheisers.

What you need is a hifiman HE-400, it probably has the best bass for the price range (compared to other open headphones)

How many times do I have to say it's not a bassy headphone?

Sorry if I explained it wrong. I'm not looking for head shaking bass, I just do not want the bass to be nonexistent, and I hate a bump in the 200-500Hz range. I want a neutral sound and a good soundstage. When I use accudio on HD600 simulation mode, I can barely notice any difference between that and the neutral mode. I hated the DT770 sound and the HD650 sounded a bit to warm. Some of you are recommending the HE400. How do these compare to the HD600.

Sorry if I explained it wrong. I'm not looking for head shaking bass, I just do not want the bass to be nonexistent, and I hate a bump in the 200-500Hz range. I want a neutral sound and a good soundstage. When I use accudio on HD600 simulation mode, I can barely notice any difference between that and the neutral mode. I hated the DT770 sound and the HD650 sounded a bit to warm. Some of you are recommending the HE400. How do these compare to the HD600.

Oh you've already tried some pairs? Is there something you didn't like about the 600? Were you unable to try an AKG?

The problem with the HE 400 is it has a chunk taken out of the EQ between 1-7kHz. Also comfort isn't a plus. It's one of those headphones I believe should specifically not be someone's first pair. http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3651&graphID[]=573&scale=30

Oh you've already tried some pairs? Is there something you didn't like about the 600? Were you unable to try an AKG?

The problem with the HE 400 is it has a chunk taken out of the EQ between 1-7kHz. Also comfort isn't a plus. It's one of those headphones I believe should specifically not be someone's first pair. http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3651&graphID[]=573&scale=30

"When I use accudio on HD600 simulation mode"

So HD650 is too warm. HD600 sub-bass has a roll off, DT880 has somewhat spiky treble. HE-400 is V-shaped sounding. Fidelio x2 is probably even bassier than HD650.

So that left AKG K712 probably? Or probably mr.speakers mad dog?

@ShearMe HE-400 isnt a bassy headphone but it does have bass when the music calls for it, no sub-bass roll off either since it's planar

@ShearMe HE-400 isnt a bassy headphone but it does have bass when the music calls for it, no sub-bass roll off either since it's planar

So say that the first time.

So say that the first time.

But probably it's the headphone with the best bass in the price range, no?

What OP wants is confusing for me, neutral sound but he EQ +10db at 30hz,10db of EQ is crazy high. It seems like he needs HE-560 to really get what he wants, or LCD-X

Did the DT990 disappear off the face of the earth or something?

blame philips lol

too OP, realistically, The best headphone for you is the DT880. small soundstage? **ck NO! it got everything you want, but pairing with your amp will produce some dryness if you like that .. or not.

or maybe the Philips Fidelio X1 for DAT BASS?

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

blame philips lol

too OP, realistically, The best headphone for you is the DT880. small soundstage? **ck NO! it got everything you want, but pairing with your amp will produce some dryness if you like that .. or not.

or maybe the Philips Fidelio X1 for DAT BASS?

The DT 880 isn't dry, otherwise agree.

But probably it's the headphone with the best bass in the price range, no?

"Best bass" means different things to different people, but rarely in my experience are the HiFiMans considered to have the best bass. Most people who swear by them in a review mention an EQ they use.

The DT 880 isn't dry, otherwise agree.

Hopefully not wet either...

Hopefully not wet either...

My pair is, because I love it so much that I fuck it.

I actually would not mind sacrificing some bass for an otherwise amazing sound.. So then, are the HD600 the best option, or should I take a look at some other models before buying??

I actually would not mind sacrificing some bass for an otherwise amazing sound.. So then, are the HD600 the best option, or should I take a look at some other models before buying??

If you can't try any of these phones in person, there isn't really any point agonizing over it further. You can always return or sell something if you don't like it.

No, I cannot. I live in Mauritius, online stores do not ship here. I would need to buy a used pair on eBay.