Share your network setup

rufee

Hey, so i thought why not make a topic about network setups, where anyone can "brag" about what equipment you have running your network.

You can describe it in words, draw a diagram, show pictures, etc...

So i guess il start:

I've got a FTTB (fiber to the building) connection from my isp that goes into a TP-Link TL-WR941ND where my 2 servers are connected, then in my flat i have a D-Link DGS-1100 switch to connect all my pc's and a D-Link DIR-310 router serving as an access point for any wireless stuff.

The servers and the main router reside in the basement of the building and i have some cat5 running up to my flat, hence the switch.

I am going to replace the crappy TP-Link with a Mikrotik.

So thats my network.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

I've got residential cable(live on a main road, hoping for fiber soon, however probably won't happen in 2013 D: ) at 30/5Mbps. My ISP provided router is merely a bridge, with Wi-Fi disabled and all NAT and routing disabled. The interesting thing with that is I can use any of the 4 ports still and get 4 different public IP addresses.

From the bridge I have my Linksys EA2700 Gbit router serving as the main wireless access point for my home. Connected to it is a re-purposed Netgear FVS318(VERY old) with routing and NAT disabled, this provides 7 extra LAN ports to the network, at 10/100 though.

I also have a discrete 50ft network cable going to the other side of the house that is connected to a second re-purposed wireless router(belkin) with routing and NAT disabled, acting as a network switch and a wireless access point.

Total: 4 routers, 1 actually routing :P All computers are on the same network, the switches all have IPs outside the DHCP range and they do not assign DHCP addresses, the EA2700 handles all NAT and DHCP.

When I build my home server I will also get a gigabit switch to replace the netgear. The wireless access point on the other side of the house is fine as-is.

Um, I have a few networks

Cable Modem from ISP -> WRT54G (Forget Version) Running DD-WRT -> 14-Port Cisco Switch -> Clients

Cable Modem from ISP -> WRT54G DD-WRT -> Clients

Cabel Modem from ISP (Phone Modem) -> Nothing

I'm going to be replacing one of the WRT54Gs with a pfSense box for my routing needs, and I will probably be getting some Mikrotik equipment to start up a WAN for myself and friends or to expand into running a as a WISP.

I Have a pfsense firewall that is running on a pentium 4 with 2GB of RAM and a soon to be 32GB SSD. If your looking for a fun project look into pfsense, You get enterprise level firewall in this OS. Crazy low ping times and traffic shaping, VPN, Dynamic DNS, way more stable then a store bought router. Literally my website that I run from home has not been down in the last 6 months.

I Have a pfsense firewall that is running on a pentium 4 with 2GB of RAM and a soon to be 32GB SSD. If your looking for a fun project look into pfsense, You get enterprise level firewall in this OS. Crazy low ping times and traffic shaping, VPN, Dynamic DNS, way more stable then a store bought router. Literally my website that I run from home has not been down in the last 6 months.
Id love to run pfsense myself, but i just cant find the nerve to donate a machine to it. So iv'e bought a Mikrotik which has an insane amount of features and is as good as a Cisco IOS router for a much lower price, though still can't get around to configuring it. And yes ordinary consumer routers are just bad, have 3 of them all are crap.

fiber modem,

WNDR3700 (might be replaced with a Juniper SSG5 which is still laying around on my desk right now)

​

HP ProCurve 1810G-8 (8port managed switch)

connected to the 1810-8:

• TP Link WA801ND Access point
  • 1 PC
  • 1 Media Player
  • A ProCurve 18
  • ​HP ProCurve 1810G-24 (24port managed switch)
  • 2 x Netgear GS108T (8port managed switch)

Connected to the 1810G-24:

• 2x DL140G3 (both 4x GB nic, 1x iLO)
  • 2x DL580G2 (both 2x GB nic, 1x iLO) (580's are not in use as the 140 replaced them)
  • 1x DataServer (3x GB nic)

connected to the netgear switches:

• both switches have another TPlink AP.
  • the rest of the ports are filed up with PC's, mediaplayers and printers.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Id love to run pfsense myself, but i just cant find the nerve to donate a machine to it. So iv'e bought a Mikrotik which has an insane amount of features and is as good as a Cisco IOS router for a much lower price, though still can't get around to configuring it. And yes ordinary consumer routers are just bad, have 3 of them all are crap.
(Fail Quote)

How is the MIkrotik router? From what I've seen they are fairly inexpensive ($100 Range). Do they give you the same low ping times as a pfsense box does? If so I might look into getting a rackmount one for my server, because I'm looking into running a dedicated box for pfsense but I can't justify it's power usage (I'm running it on a dedicated server, lots of power usage)

WNDR3700 (might be replaced with a Juniper SSG5 which is still laying around on my desk right now)

​

Wait you are running 5 Servers behind a consumer Netgear router?

They are good, but a pain to setup, very complex. They have a cheap rackmount (RB2011), they might not be as powerful as a pfsense box (only a 600mhz cpu), but unless you are hammering your connection it will do the job for the fraction of power usage.

​

it's running DD-WRT :p, but yes that's why im upgrading to the SSG5.

also note that the 580's are offline.

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

​

Hah my WRT54G is running DD-WRT also! *Internet High Five* I have around 9 rackmount server behind my router, but only two of them running.

​

WHO HOO, DD-WRT BUDDY'S (not sure if ill upgrade to the SSG5 now :p )

​

Well since you already have it (SSG5) I would, especially if you are running anything behind the WNDR3700. I'm sure you should see an improvement after the switch.

What are you two running on all that hardware?

Stuff would be the best answer, but a more detailed list is what you wanted: Webserver, Email Server, Minecraft, TeamSpeak.

I desperately want to get that RB2011, It is only ~$110 (USD) and it even has an SFP port, and if I understand SFP correctly, so I can run a Fiber drop from it!

What are you two running on all that hardware?

Stuff would be the best answer, but a more detailed list is what you wanted: Webserver, Email Server, Minecraft, TeamSpeak.

same here.