OUYA better than you think

MzCatieB

At First look:

Most people on these forums see the OUYA as an irritation mostly because it isn't designed run insane levels of graphics, well as a lover of graphics, gameplay and everything else to do with computer games lover myself i am happy to say the OUYA is everything it needs to be.

the Graphics capabilities are not outstanding but i feel like it does have potential in some way.

The gameplay is mostly game dependent but from what i have played it is extremely easy to understand and is editable on the fly.

What To Expect:

Don't expect much from it as it isn't a big fighter compared to over consoles, however for the price point it is an amazing investment for people whom love there emulators, arcade and casual style games.

The Controller:

The Controller is extremely intuitive and easy to understand, although the battery covers may become lose over time it still is extremely well built and are cheap to replace or add more to your group.

What you will love:

EMULATORS!!!! this game is an emulator lovers dream, although i have only had it for a day i am sitting on currently over 300 working emulator ROM's all obtained for free online and played via USB device.

The Price of the console is only $100/£100 putting it at a strong price point for people with children.

From an Indie games developer or someone trying to build a portfolio this is a really good console as it is FREE to work on unlike Xbox/ Playstation or Nintendeo, this means that expanding your portfolio to console has been made easier, though only gameplay and story is possible with the graphics level possible on the console.

What you will hate:

Controller can take a while to connect.

Can be laggy at times but is expected.

User Interface is still in the early stages but is easy to understand.

Finding the USB device for Emulators are sometimes difficult (Emulator system not console)

Overall i will score the OUYA at 9/10, this is cause of some early stage issues which are likely to get ironed out.

Character artist in the Games industry.

at first about 15-30 secs, but aslong as you turn the thing on with it then the issue isnt there

Will be great for emulators as you said. Might get one if I'm able to get my hands on one.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

people use an Android stick to run emulators and connect a wireless BT controller

still OUYA is a joke (for me anyways )

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

i read that the controller itself cost 49 because of the touchpad.how intuitive is it? i wonder will the ps4 controller touchpad functions just like the ouya controller?

It's a nice little box, too bad the HDMI ports use HDCP so you can't record gameplay from it. It would be nice if it only kicked in on things like Netflix, Hulu, or other such apps.

Sorry but i still dont like it, I can run emulators on my oc just as easily and i dont need to drop an extra $100 for it. Its a good option for someone with out a pc that wants nothing but emulators and for children but its not for me. Nice review though.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Sideload android apps and show results!

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

@Pixxie_Payne, I just want to point out that Sony is letting Indie developers make games and publish directly to the PSN. Not sure if that's "Free", but it's pretty awesome.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

@Pixxie_Payne, I just want to point out that Sony is letting Indie developers make games and publish directly to the PSN. Not sure if that's "Free", but it's pretty awesome.

They have to be approved though by sony and so far its mostly fps games like Blacklight retribution. My friend at @zombie studios says that the hardware in the ps4 has done a great job and they are looking towards close to max settings for the PS4.

Still didn't receive mine yet.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Great review! I think it is definitely an option that most people will just overlook, but it is a great product. 

Ya know, it's interesting. Usually, like with the PS3, it takes an entire generation to "optimize" games to the max for a console. The Last of Us is a great example of this.

However, these consoles are very much PC's with slightly unique specs. Won't optimization come much faster and better than that this go around? I'd imagine so.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

If I have HDMI out on my tablet and link a blutooth controller to it, don't I pretty much have an OUYA?

Plus online multiplayer is higher on tablets than it will be on OUYA.

The Syndicate

Dont forget the OUYA is only in its first generation, im sure with there next gen model the are going to push it a little more when it comes to the hardware.

i would of payed up to £350 for 1 if it was capable of the same graphics as an xb360 or ps3.

im sure this model is just a test to see what happens with it and then next gen they can push things a little more

id like to expand upon my review a little:

What i would of done different:

OS: rather than running the OS on Android i would of gone with a Linux/Unix operating system, it would of dont the same and would be easier to make games for. (wouldnt increase the cost anymore)

Hardware:

2gb of ram instead of 1gb. (increased the cost a little more not by much though)

used an AMD APU with a small gpu, or just the APU on its own. (increase the cost a little and would need more cooling)

Storage would of been nicer at 16gb but the 8gb is acceptable given that it is expandable (slightly more expensive. not much though)

Overall if they where to double the cost of it and add more in, i would still have gotten 1 aslong as the cost stayed around/ below £250.

i do feel though the the OUYA 1 is just a test to see what people do with it and what people want for the next gen, which will most likely come next year or the year after.

it is good for Emulators so for people out there wanting to play stupid old games which are impossible to find it is a good option i am currently sitting on over 300 roms over ps1,n64 and many many more.

i am also going to do a 2week review to reveal some more issues i have found with it, i will add it on here so

Nice Review! 

It's good to see a console other than the xbox, ps3 and wii. I personally am not interested in it, but I hope it sells well!

PC Specs:  2x GTX 550 ti in SLI - Intel i7 2600k @ 3.4Ghz - Thermaltake Overseer Case - 8 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram - 1TB Harddrive - 500 Watt PSU that came with my old prebuilt pc lawl -  ASUS P8P67 EVO

Peripherals:  Razer Deathadder Black Edition - Razer Arctosa Keyboard - Logitech G53 Headset

Cool song of the day: Chief Keef - Round da Rosey    Changed my profile pic again...                                        Mountain Dew is good. So are video games and music. Oh and unicorns.

I wish they would make this console look better, the box imo looks rubbish. I like the controller even though it looks like the xbox and ps3 mixed together which isnt bad as it wouldnt take long to adapt like when i played a wii u.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Plus if you combine it with the app Kainy, you can stream games from your PC.

Plus if you combine it with the app Kainy, you can stream games from your PC.

That sounds pretty neat :P Have a virtual console in your living room!

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |