sshd noise ?

huracan

hey ppl of ltt,

so about a month and a half ago i purchased a seagate sshd 1tb and it worked just fine and still is. but last night i noticed that it is make a weird noise the right way to describe the noise is..... it sounds like a geiger counter or like radiation meter and idk if i have to be worried about the noise or should i claim the warranty?

cheers,

sam 

CPU: FX8320 @ 4.2GHZ, GPU: R9 390 PCS+Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, MotherBoard: ASRock 970 Extreme 3 r2.0, PowerSupply: EVGA 600b 80+Bronze, Storage: seagate Barracuda 1TB SSHD & Case: Corsair Carbide 200r

Is it a clicking sound? If yes, then disconnect the drive right now, otherwise you're gonna kill the hard drive and possibly lose all your data.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Is it a clicking sound? If yes, then disconnect the drive right now, otherwise you're gonna kill the hard drive and possibly lose all your data.

yes wow is it any big problem?

CPU: FX8320 @ 4.2GHZ, GPU: R9 390 PCS+Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, MotherBoard: ASRock 970 Extreme 3 r2.0, PowerSupply: EVGA 600b 80+Bronze, Storage: seagate Barracuda 1TB SSHD & Case: Corsair Carbide 200r

it sounds like rust game(when u enter radiation town) 

yes wow is it any big problem?

It's the click of death. It means the drive head is directly touching the platters while they spin. If you keep your hard drive running for a while, it will kill the drive. Make sure you're 100% sure about what you're hearing though. This happening on a month and a half old drive seems unusual to me. Are you sure it's not another component in your system?

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

It's the click of death. It means the drive head is directly touching the platters while they spin. If you keep your hard drive running for a while, it will kill the drive. Make sure you're 100% sure about what you're hearing though. This happening on a month and a half old drive seems unusual to me. Are you sure it's not another component in your system?

well im pretty sure its drive and it doesnt sound often but when it does its pretty loud 

well im pretty sure its drive and it doesnt sound often but when it does its pretty loud 

Take a look at this video.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Take a look at this video.

i watched the video already but the noise comes and goes random and 90% of the time its silent but sometimes the noise gets too loud and everything is super snappy the speed is fine for an sshd 

i watched the video already but the noise comes and goes random and 90% of the time its silent but sometimes the noise gets too loud and everything is super snappy the speed is fine for an sshd 

Like Linus mentioned in the video, if you hear the clicking noises while idling, then there's probably something wrong with it.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Like Linus mentioned in the video, if you hear the clicking noises while idling, then there's probably something wrong with it.

currently im transferring a 23 gig file is dead silent........... but at a random period of time the clicking noise occurs..... ill see if i can claim any warranty  

currently im transferring a 23 gig file is dead silent........... but at a random period of time the clicking noise occurs..... ill see if i can claim any warranty  

It's normal to hear some noise from a hard drive, just mentioning that, but if it's a distinct clicking sound then it's that that's not good.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

It's normal to hear some noise from a hard drive, just mentioning that, but if it's a distinct clicking sound then it's that that's not good.

yes i received your point well and clear, now i have to contact the manufacturer and im transferring a 23gb file and the transfer rate is like ill post a pic is it normal

post-154235-0-98163000-1421815620.png

got a backup for personal data?

in any case contact the manufacturer. its ok if a hdd is noisy but clicking sounds shuld NEVER occur imo

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Wisdom: You don't live longer if you're always in a hurry

yes i received your point well and clear, now i have to contact the manufacturer and im transferring a 23gb file and the transfer rate is like ill post a pic is it normal

Hmmm, it's a bit slow. Is there anything making decent use of it or is it a 5k drive?

Hmmm, it's a bit slow. Is there anything making decent use of it or is it a 5k drive?

whats a 5k drive? 

whats a 5k drive? 

A drive that spins at 5X00 RPM. X being a number out of 2,4 and 9 (usually 4) E.G. a 5400 RPM drive.

I know this is stupid but have you ever dropped it or was the packaging damaged due to shipping?

Gamer & PC Enthusiast

Gaming Community's TeamSpeak: ts.the-eux.uk

If I've helped you out, Click that "like" button to show me some love :)

A drive that spins at 5X00 RPM. X being a number out of 2,4 and 9 (usually 4) E.G. a 5400 RPM drive.

oh mine is a sshd with hdd being 7200 rpm

I know this is stupid but have you ever dropped it or was the packaging damaged due to shipping?

no actually i took care of it real good!

• 2 years later...

Huracan, how did your SSHD end up? i got a new laptop this saturday and everything was working great. i installed a Seagate 2TB SSHD and since today it sometimes makes ticking noises aswell. how did yours end up, should i be worried that my SSHD will fail in 3 days?