First Time overclock, Intel i7 930 & Asus Rampage iii Extreme MB, HELP wanted!!

KOtech

Hello TechTipsForums!

Just recently recieved my final components to my build where as i now've decided to overclock my cpu for furhter improved performence

My System:

CPU: Intel I7 930 @3.2 Ghz

RAM: 12GB DDR3

Graphics: ASUS GTX 680 DirectCU ii TOP

MB: ASUS Rampage III Extreme

PSU: 700 Watt

SSD: Samsung 840 PRO 128 GB SSD

HDD: 1tb 7200rpm & 2tb 7200 rpm.

My goal is to get the cpu cranked up to 4.0 Ghz, i have a massive CPU Cooler (noctua) 

Were do i start biggrin.gif ?

Anyone have eariler experience of this board and CPU that could give me some great tips?

And excatly how much faster does a overclocked CPU become in % ?

Say, from standard 2.8 to 4.0Ghz, an increese of 1.2 Ghz. How much is that noted in applications such as MAYA, Adobe Suite, and other heavy programs ?

You need to give more details bro. :P the cooler is actually important.

If it's a passive cooler that's just lot of metal and fans, then aim for something like 3.5. You Will need an efficient water cooler of some sort to reach that level, if it's even possible.

-I can't get a i7-960 safely to 4Ghz (3.875) with a decent passive cooler, and that's only a .8 difference from stock.

What's the ram rated for, and are you running it in triple channel?

:P I'm kinda jealous of the video card, but nice system as it is. X}

Linus did an overclocking tutorial for socket 1366 when it first came out (

)

Basically you just want to boost your base clock a little bit at a time. Base clock multiplied with your multiplier gives you your cpu frequency. Google around. It's not hard, but you should know what your doing otherwise you might overdo it.

My Mobile Devices: HTC Dream (G1) Rooted, HTC Bravo (Desire) Rooted, Samsung Galaxy SII Rooted, Samsung Galaxy Note II Rooted, iPhone 4s Jailbroken, iPad 2 Jailbroken

Tyvm!

I've seen the overclock guide before, but will have a closer look into it.

this is Prime95 after 20 Minutes.

Would you go for this or advice not to?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/826/temp2e.png/

give us your bios settings and more info about your hardware.

My Mobile Devices: HTC Dream (G1) Rooted, HTC Bravo (Desire) Rooted, Samsung Galaxy SII Rooted, Samsung Galaxy Note II Rooted, iPhone 4s Jailbroken, iPad 2 Jailbroken

Aa did a 4,2on my 920 i had a rampage extreme II. Used a schyte mungen2 temps where 77c after 24hour prime so it could work give us your cooler because big isn't neccesarly good temps

Here's my current BIOS settings, aswell as an overview of my components.

Component list:

CPU: Intel I7 930 STOCK @2.8 (Currently 4.0Ghz unstable)

RAM: 12GB DDR3. Unsure of brand and speeds.

Graphics: ASUS GTX 680 DirectCU ii TOP

MB: ASUS Rampage III Extreme

PSU: 750 Watt

SSD: Samsung 840 PRO 128 GB SSD

HDD: 1tb 7200rpm & 2tb 7200 rpm.

CPU Cooler, unsure of name. please refer to the YouTube link.

Case:

Fractal Design Define R4

Cooling, Stock 2 Fractal Design R4 fans (140 MM, i believe) + 120mm fan from my other build located in the front (blowing air onto HDD and SSD).

Anything more i'am able to provide?

Also, How may i see the actual error that happens when windows crashes due to unstable CPU, and restarts the computer? BIOS setting? 

Update: Prime95 results in a computer crash after 16 - 19 minutes.

Blue Screen says:

WHEA uncorrectable error

- Any ideas?

What is the CPU voltage at? And has anyone been able to figure out what cooler he has? Did you apply new thermal paste before attempting this?

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

What is the CPU voltage at? And has anyone been able to figure out what cooler he has? Did you apply new thermal paste before attempting this?

As for the CPU cooler.

I've seen one matching my own, named "D14 HSF". Although it's identical in every regard, i'am still unsure if it's the correct one.

The CPU voltage is at 1.23 at the moment (Currently uploading another BIOS setting-movie).

I did not apply new thermal paste.

Please refer to my previous link:

TYVM for helping!

Best Regards

- K

:)

around 10 seconds after i stopped filming the first part, i got blue screen:

Link:

Best Regards

- K

:)

overclocking the 1366 platform is the most fun i had so far with OC-ing :) and it's only as complicated as your knowledge/interest is willing to take you.

1. @DePhoegon

PASSIVE cooling means there aren't any fans on the cooler itself. ACTIVE cooling means having some sort of "moving" part attached to the cooler in order to direct heat away from the cooler

2. Depending on what cooler you are using, the community might give you more accurate advise as to how far you can push your CPU, while still maintaining "safe" temps... where "safe temps" help maintain a stable OC and also prolong the life of your CPU

3. An i7 930, from what i read over the years, it proved to be a little behind the i7 920 in terms of how far you can push it in overclocking. I haven't personally OC-ed the i7 930, but have VERY happily owned an i7 920, which i kept OC-ed to 4.00GHz from ~4 months after i had purchased it (sometime in 2008) until three weeks ago (@4.01GHz with a Vcore of 1.25v and then upped it to 1.28v after a year and half, just to make sure the OC wouldn't start failing - but that's just a personal choice and not a must :) )

4. I didn't really understand if those temps (from the screenshots) were on DEFAULT settings with a stock 2.8GHz or OC-ed to 4.00GHz. If it was at stock speeds, then you have a "problem". Either the thermal paste was not applied correctly, or the cooler is rubbish and you need a "new/better" one. If the temps were measured at 4.00GHz then you are within "safe" margins and you should only twik the settings at this point to asure long term stability.

5. My advice, as far as your OC-ing campaign goes is, as the others before me have mentioned, read/go over some tutorials, get familiar with your BIOS settings, maybe even look for some settings that others have used on the same Motherboard and CPU you are now using. Once you "understand" what most of the settings do (i wouldn't advise you to start messing around with all of the voltage settings until you know EXACTLY what they are for and, more importantly, what their limits are - every voltage settings you will find in the BIOS has a MINIMUM and a MAXIMUM so don't start messing around with the voltages until you get familiar with them). Start small, with "basic" overclocking, like only adjusting the Vcore and the BCLK. Then, after you found/reached a stable and desired speed, start adjusting the other values. But by the time you will start messing around with RAM voltages and timings, QPI/PLL, VTT, and other, for now, unfamiliar and weird acronyms, you will most likely know/have learned what and how you need/want to adjust it :)

In conclusion, overclocking is 2/3 knowledge and 1/3 art :) and like anything that takes time and patience, you either love it or hate it :)

overclocking the 1366 platform is the most fun i had so far with OC-ing :) and it's only as complicated as your knowledge/interest is willing to take you. 1. @DePhoegon PASSIVE cooling means there aren't any fans on the cooler itself. ACTIVE cooling means having some sort of "moving" part attached to the cooler in order to direct heat away from the cooler 2. Depending on what cooler you are using' date=' the community might give you more accurate advise as to how far you can push your CPU, while still maintaining "safe" temps... where "safe temps" help maintain a stable OC and also prolong the life of your CPU 3. An i7 930, from what i read over the years, it proved to be a little behind the i7 920 in terms of how far you can push it in overclocking. I haven't personally OC-ed the i7 930, but have VERY happily owned an i7 920, which i kept OC-ed to 4.00GHz from ~4 months after i had purchased it (sometime in 2008) until three weeks ago (@4.01GHz with a Vcore of 1.25v and then upped it to 1.28v after a year and half, just to make sure the OC wouldn't start failing - but that's just a personal choice and not a must :) ) 4. I didn't really understand if those temps (from the screenshots) were on DEFAULT settings with a stock 2.8GHz or OC-ed to 4.00GHz. If it was at stock speeds, then you have a "problem". Either the thermal paste was not applied correctly, or the cooler is rubbish and you need a "new/better" one. If the temps were measured at 4.00GHz then you are within "safe" margins and you should only twik the settings at this point to asure long term stability. 5. My advice, as far as your OC-ing campaign goes is, as the others before me have mentioned, read/go over some tutorials, get familiar with your BIOS settings, maybe even look for some settings that others have used on the same Motherboard and CPU you are now using. Once you "understand" what most of the settings do (i wouldn't advise you to start messing around with all of the voltage settings until you know EXACTLY what they are for and, more importantly, what their limits are - every voltage settings you will find in the BIOS has a MINIMUM and a MAXIMUM so don't start messing around with the voltages until you get familiar with them). Start small, with "basic" overclocking, like only adjusting the Vcore and the BCLK. Then, after you found/reached a stable and desired speed, start adjusting the other values. But by the time you will start messing around with RAM voltages and timings, QPI/PLL, VTT, and other, for now, unfamiliar and weird acronyms, you will most likely know/have learned what and how you need/want to adjust it :) In conclusion, overclocking is 2/3 knowledge and 1/3 art :) and like anything that takes time and patience, you either love it or hate it :)[/quote']

From a response at another forum, i was confirmed to have the: "D14" cooler

All temperatures posted in this help-section is for the overclocked CPU. Not stock.

If stock, or "auto-clocked" to 3.2 i get low temps of 30'ish idle.

At this moment, my Vcore (CPU Voltage) is set at 1.27, and my PCIE has been lowered to 101 due of a tip on the other forum.

Currently testing in Prime95 to see if stable, though with pretty high temps landing in at around 80 - 85 on Physical CPU 1.

If this ''D14'' you speak of is a Noctua NH-D14 then it's a pretty good cooler. If it's mounted correctly it will be able to keep your cpu cool.

Temps are fine if that's for the overclocked CPU.

If it's unstable try upping the voltage. If it stays unstable then you may have found the limit of that CPU :D

I would be able to help you since I too have a 930 which is @ 4.2ghz. My chip is quite bad so I need 1.42 on the vcore to keep it stable. It idles at around 40c-45c and my load temps are 79c-83c (Keep in mind my room temp is quite warm atm). I consider a good overclock on that chip under 85c, all though it does depend a lot on your room temperature. You need to figure out what mhz your ram is rated at otherwise I can not help you. I suspect it is 1600mhz but please confirm it.

Good luck