Teen looking for sports car for $5000

ProductParadise

My suggestion is to not buy a sportscar for your first car.

This

The engine roars but then it gives, but never dies

We don't live we just survive

On the scraps that you throw awaaaaaay

Peugeot 205 GTi , it's good, good and good!

This is actually not a bad idea either. While they don't straight up look or feel like sports cars there is plenty of potential hidden in old hot hatches. Especially the 205 GTi, 306 GTi and 106 Rallye / GTi. They can be had and serviced for next to nothing and they're fairly quick. Don't expect them to be reliable though (ie. the 106 is notorious for eating drive shafts etc).

" I call mine the Magic Carpet Ride, its as if you are gliding over the pavement. "

This is not an attribute you generally associate with a sports car. 

Maybe I left out how well it performs when it comes to driving the actual car, because a Mercedes is a luxury sports car, and I felt that the driving experience speaks for itself.  If you can couple amazing driving performance with that floaty luxurious feel, that is a winner for me.  Everyone has their own preferences, my friend swears by his BMW that is admittedly a better performance driving experience, but I prefer the luxury driving experience over the balls to the walls super tight and sporty experience that is the BMW.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

This is actually not a bad idea either. While they don't straight up look or feel like sports cars there is plenty of potential hidden in old hot hatches. Especially the 205 GTi, 306 GTi and 106 Rallye / GTi. They can be had and serviced for next to nothing and they're fairly quick. Don't expect them to be reliable though (ie. the 106 is notorious for eating drive shafts etc).

the 205 GTi is iconic and easy to maintain as it is not computerized. Everything is mechanic in it and of course it is reliable and powerful with that petrol 4 cylinder engine in it. I just love how these old cars are still hopping to date ^^

Maybe I left out how well it performs when it comes to driving the actual car, because a Mercedes is a luxury sports car, and I felt that the driving experience speaks for itself.  If you can couple amazing driving performance with that floaty luxurious feel, that is a winner for me.  Everyone has their own preferences, my friend swears by his BMW that is admittedly a better performance driving experience, but I prefer the luxury driving experience over the balls to the walls super tight and sporty experience that is the BMW.

Don't get me wrong man I'm by no means belittling your car, I regularly drive a '95 A8 with a 4.2 V8 as well, I absolutely love the comfy cars that still perform. All I'm saying is it's not a sports car. :D

An experienced driver would know better and wouldn't take that risk because they will greater knowledge and understanding of what could happen. An inexperienced driver will probably take that risk. Let me ask you something, have you (or anybody you know) taken made a decision that is stupid because they didn't know any better?

You don't ever run a red light, period. If you even think about it you are an idiot. It has nothing to do with experience, it's a very simple choice your brain has to make based on no variables what so ever. Either you endanger your own and other lives or you don't. You don't learn to not do that from experience, you learn to not do that from having a fucking clue.

the 205 GTi is iconic and easy to maintain as it is not computerized. Everything is mechanic in it and of course it is reliable and powerful with that petrol 4 cylinder engine in it. I just love how these old cars are still hopping to date ^^

They're an absolutely fantastic driving experience as well when you get on it. :) I love the old Peugeots.

Don't get me wrong man I'm by no means belittling your car, I regularly drive a '95 A8 with a 4.2 V8 as well, I absolutely love the comfy cars that still perform. All I'm saying is it's not a sports car. :D

Tell that to my insurance company, because I am charged for it like it is one.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Tell that to my insurance company, because I am charged for it like it is one.

I get that man, and I bet you it's the horse power they're looking it. To be honest though most of the grown up jackasses drive German luxury cars so there's that as well. It just sucks the rest of us have to suffer because of that.

They're an absolutely fantastic driving experience as well when you get on it. :) I love the old Peugeots.

Yes, they carry too much nostalgia with them! My father still owns a Peugeot 309 Vital with petrol 1.1L engine, it is both economy and reliable to date. ^^

A Miata is one of the best bang for the buck as far as handling and sportiness. You see a lot of old guys driving them, and they do track them.

Any "sports car" you buy for 5k is going to be beat to shit. You better be buying some tools and a manual to work on it. 

I got my e46 3 series for around 5k, so that could be a nice option.

wqlaJCy.jpg

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

You drive on the pavement? But the people walking. ;)

Just like JC2.

**Hits a few people on sidewalk**

"Crazy damn pedestrians!"

I'm a big fan of the Mustang. It's not only a ballsy car but also a huge chick magnet. If you can get one with Cobra body kit then you'd be in for a nice looking ride.

I got my e46 3 series for around 5k, so that could be a nice option.

I need specifics because "WOOOW!"  :o

>Teen

>Sports car

>$5000

lol

Also Mustangs are disgusting. If an iPhone doesn't scream sheep, then a Mustang will.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Any "sports car" you buy for 5k is going to be beat to shit. You better be buying some tools and a manual to work on it. 

*Any Honda sports car you'll buy for 5K will be beat to shit.* But seriously, like every Honda I've seen under 5k has a body kit and/or 150K plus miles, smokes, has a salvage or rebuilt title.

I think Fast and Furious movies are the culprit for destroying these cars..

My suggestion is to not buy a sportscar for your first car.

This. Sports cars are the finest way to make yourself look like a douche.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

I need specifics because "WOOOW!"  :o

mine is a 323ci. Its pretty common in my area to find these cars at that price. A great example of how fast these cars depreciate is this 06 bmw m6 for 24k. Makes the used market pretty awesome.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/4842788185.html

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Get an RX8 or a Stang, great first cars,

RX8's aren't really good first cars IMO. Rotaries are a pain to work with, especially for a 15 year old. Rotaries require constant maintenance in order to stay in working condition. And if something breaks.... ehhhh. More of a enthusiast car, not a first car

Mustangs would be a decent option. Not a hi-po version, but the lower end versions would be nice (sorry, don't know American cars). I assume parts are widely available, too. I have a friend whose first car is a previous gen. Mustang. Seems OK

Maybe a skyline R32 fits in your budget. It might be over your budget, don't know pricing in US, at least here you can get a nice and cheap one for 5k

Importing it alone would ruin the budget. And the ones that are already here have prices that are hella inflated (trust me, I've looked). Plus insurance on a Skyline? c'mon. Even a GTST or GTS4 would be painfully expensive to ensure. And where would you get parts if something breaks? Importing parts doesnt seem like fun, especially if it's some obscure part for an RB2X engine...

I would go with either an older Subaru (not WRX or STI). Maybe second gen outback sport or 2.5rs. Dirt cheap in places. Reliable. Inexpensive to fix. Plus there are SOOOO many Subaru parts. Almost everything is interchangeable, so finding stuff will be easy

Or as @bob345 suggested, a BMW. Them I-6's are reliable. A Miata could be another fun option

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

*Any Honda sports car you'll buy for 5K will be beat to shit.* But seriously, like every Honda I've seen under 5k has a body kit and/or 150K plus miles, smokes, has a salvage or rebuilt title.

I think Fast and Furious movies are the culprit for destroying these cars..

No, it's dumb shit owners. If you don't know what you're doing in a garage then buy a newer car. It's as simple as that. Every car I've ever owned that wasn't only a couple of years old had things I had to fix from the previous owner cutting corners or trying to save a dollar or two.

Oh wait, I read M3... My bad, I guess that's what they usually go for!

I wish it was an m3 haha. Those usually go around 15k for the smg and close to 20k for the 6 speed in my area.

Buy a mustang.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.