1 large SSD or 6-8 smaller in raid0?

SuNe^

Hello guys, 

So i am planing out a new build and got some questions about storeage..

The build will be pure SSD, but i don't know wich way to go.

Is it better either go for 1-2 large SSDs or will it be better performance to have like 6-8 smaller SSDs in a Raid0? 

If so, how large performance boost would it really be to pick the fastest one of the 2 stated?

If 6-8 smaller SSDs in Raid0, would a z87 motherboards (prob a Asus Maximus VI Formula) built in raid be any good or am i better of with a raid card?

If raid card, wich one is the best for a decent price?

Thanks in advance.

Edit:  Back-up will be done to my  fileserver every night, so no worries about that. Just asking how it will be  performancewise

One unless you have a backup for your RAID 0 config. If one of those drives dies, you will have to start all over again. A better option would be RAID 10.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

One unless you have a backup for your RAID 0 config. If one of those drives dies, you will have to start all over again. A better option would be RAID 10.

Forgot to mention, Back-up will be done to my fileserver every night, so that would not be a problem. 

Im just curious about the  performance of it.

This video is pretty old, but you may want to check this out:

The speeds will be insane, but for most uses, the cost of a raid 0 setup would outweigh the extra performance. 

You'd probably notice a nice performance boost. However, integrated RAID may not handle it. You may be better off getting a RAID card.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Doubt there would be any performance boost, except in sequential benchmarks.

Sometimes things can be slower with a RAID array.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485.html

Single SSDs are fast enough, and that would be a cheaper option anyway.

I used to always raid0 my home OS drive.  Because of the lastest ssd speeds, I would rather keep getting better 180-250gig SSD drives for < $260, every 2-3years then get a huge elaborate setup with a controller etc.  

Stick with a Samsung/Intel SSD and feel lucky prices are 1/2 what they were a few years ago.

Home Machine:

Ryzen 5900x Processor - 64gb Ram - 10gig Fiber

ASUS PG348Q Monitor -- Samsung 34" TV -  1080ti Card

NAS:

Ryzen 5600x - 64gb Ram - 10gig Fiber

Hot Swap 3u - Redundant Power

Raid 10 will most likely not be supported by a random crappy motherboard RAID controller. I would get one big SSD to be honest. It's a lot of work to just get amazing sequential performance. 

EDIT: Storage... 

I'd avoid RAID as much as I can unless I'm using it for what it was meant for: redundancy. Linus himself says his SSD array is very troublesome.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

Agreed - parity can be your enemy. Use it only when you need one large storage volume. Most drives give 60-120mb/s performance with a raid1 in a backup device. I've had controllers flake out and start dumping the volumes etc. Not fun

Home Machine:

Ryzen 5900x Processor - 64gb Ram - 10gig Fiber

ASUS PG348Q Monitor -- Samsung 34" TV -  1080ti Card

NAS:

Ryzen 5600x - 64gb Ram - 10gig Fiber

Hot Swap 3u - Redundant Power

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings everyone, The question is not yes or no to raid 0 but which eight 60-64 gb ssd-s ((to keep price down, (and yes ussually bigger ssd-s are better performers)) to use to have greatest, biggest, fastest performance? ... Cause in the ssd-s performance can vary a loooot.Now i am running two Coarsair GT 60gb in raid 0 and numbers are not great firstly i can thank this to the integrated marvell controller on my motherboard.  Lets take todays they say top Samsung 64gb R: 550MB/s • W: 520MB/s • Random 4K R: 86000IOPS • Random 4K W: 78000IOPS, Plextor M3 : R:510MB/s (SATA 6Gb/s) •W: 210MB/s (SATA 6Gb/s) • Random 4K R: 70000IOPS and Kingston mS200 60gb R: 550MB/s • W: 520MB/s • Random 4K R: 86000IOPS • Random 4K W: 78000IOPS ....and now , what is advertised are peak performance data, however i came to conclusion when looked into average or sustained performance ratio the data are in same cases not even similar...so would anybody have suggestion which eight 60-64 gb ssd-s to get?
I am leaning towards Kingston mS200 60gb however i am not convinced thats a good choice - no deeper reviews yet. It is the cheapest,Plextor M3 by far most expensive.

. Between the mentioned Samsung and Plextor Plextor is better performer So again would anybody have suggestion for a choice of best round sustained performer between a sea of ssd-s in 60-64gb range? ...Linus whats yur poison for eight ssd raid solution? ... and when are we gonna see performance data  :lol: ?

In benchmark the result of 6-8 smaller ssd in raid 0 will be dramatic.

But in real world scenario I don't think the difference will be significant.

MB :MSI Z77a G45 | Proc: I5 3570K (Stock) | HSF : CM 212X turbo | RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2X4GB) | VGA : MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr | PSU : Corsair GS600 | Case : CM Storm Enforcer | Storage :  OCZ Vector 128GB, WD Blue 500GB , Samsung 840 Evo 120GB, WD Blue 1TB

The question I must ask, is WHY do you want to RAID-0 6-8 SSD's for your boot drive?

What will you be using your boot drive for? What kind of applications, etc.

You MUST keep in mind that RAID-0 with 6-8 SSD's will drastically increase the complexity, and therefore, the potential issues. You might have drives dropping out of the array, weird performance spikes (both up and down), compatibility issues, etc.

Will you be using a hardware RAID card? Onboard RAID? Fake-RAID card (That would be like those cheap $50-$100 "RAID" cards), etc?

If you're trying to save money, then, just don't. Buy ONE SSD, of the size that fits your needs. If you need massive storage and can't afford the super large SSD's (500GB or 1TB), then buy a traditional HDD of large capacity, and add an SSD cache to it.

I always recommend 1 SSD over RAID for boot drives. In my opinion, you should exclusively use RAID with server/large storage, like a NAS or a File/Media Server. It's just not worth the hassle for a boot drive UNLESS you're doing it strictly for the learning experience.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

dalekphalm

thank you for your input however i use raid (true only two ) long time and knock knock .ever had a problem. anyhow i am out for this and will wait for next gen. ssd-s,to answer your q.  there is many apps where they benefit a lot from ultra fast storage. 

Samsung announced 3,000MB/s enterprise SSD pcie, also 12gb/s is around the corner.

Forgot to mention, Back-up will be done to my fileserver every night, so that would not be a problem. 

Im just curious about the  performance of it.

Sequential reads/writes will be faster which is only applicable if all you do is move files around on the ssd. 

Other than that, it'll be the same speed or slower than a single ssd in everything else.

Fewer and larger ssds would be better/cheaper.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Raid 10 will most likely not be supported by a random crappy motherboard RAID controller. I would get one big SSD to be honest. It's a lot of work to just get amazing sequential performance.

EDIT: Storage...

Usually they do.

Usually they do.

if it does, I would imagine it being slow because RAID 10 has a lot of overhead, as I have discovered. 

You can take the boot times of windows 8 from 2 sec to 1.5 sec , worth it.

Personally I wouldn't spend that much money buying multiple SSDs when I can't even notice any real world performance increase...

You can take the boot times of windows 8 from 2 sec to 1.5 sec , worth it.

Really? Can you provide a source, I have never seen anything like this.

Really? Can you provide a source, I have never seen anything like this.

I think he was just joking.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I think he was just joking.

Oh..k, need to improve sarcasm detection

Oh..k, need to improve sarcasm detection

Theres really no point in 8 consumer level SSDs in raid 0, get enterprise grade ones.

A better option would be RAID 10.

^ This. 8 SSDs in RAID10 would be pretty sexy as storage solutions go. Or you could donate one to a poor child who's still using a 7 year old sata 2 HDD :P

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database