Building new rig Need opinions.

Go to solution Solved by OCing Noob,

Bottleneck, funny term.  Sooner or later you will run a program that will either max out your CPU speed, or GPU processing speed.  Ideally you want them running neck and neck until they both reach 100% at the same time.  Don't worry about any bottlenecking in this build.  You are running some of the best hardware. 

:lol: 100% agreed

Here is what i got so far

Samsung ssd 850 evo 500g

1tb seagate hybrid harddrive

Ram: Corsair dominator platinum 16g ddr4 (4x4)

Motherboard Asus x99 deluxe

cpu: i7 5930k

Case: Fractal Design Define R5

Gpu: gtx 970

I will mainly be gaming at 1080p max settings and video editing/rendering. is this a good choice in componets this is my first build so i want to know you thoughts.

Location/currency?

can you provide a PCPP link?

Woo!

Don't really need a hybrid drive with an SSD, go for more space on a normal HDD rather than a SSHD

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

everything looks solid, but i would grab a 2tb normal HD over a hybrid one, since you already have 1 ssd

USA so dollars.

https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

i already have some of the componets such as the gpu,powersupply,and both ssd and hardrive so the pcpartpick shows what i need.

Sorry, should've been more specific, I need the permalink, it should show just above the parts list.

Woo!

Also on a side note will an ssd with windows 7 installed just work if i'm switching it from one pc to this one that i'm building with different componets.

You probably won't need the extra PCIe lanes. Windows 7 is unfortunately going to be obsolete basically in the next couple months since mainstream support for it is ending sometime this month, I mean its plug won't be pulled until 2020 but still... 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($299.99 @ Micro Center) 
Motherboard: Asus X99-PRO ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($301.89 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: be quiet! Silent Base 800 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $1201.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-17 22:39 EST-0500

You were getting a case with out a window so I figured getting another case without a window and has better sound dampening performance, really if you have an SSD you don't need an SSHD you probably would have been better off going for WD Green as they spin at lower RPMs making them quieter and for a scratch drive (I.E Just file storage and not frequently accessing files) a lower RPM HDD is fine and it's quieter when it is running.

Edit: I replaced the X99-Deluxe with the X99-Pro simply because I don't think based off your use scenario that you wouldn't benefit from getting practically an identical board just wil an extra Ethernet and stuff.
Edited by wcreek

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

sorry about that. here it is. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/scZXZL

every thing looks ok but i recommend why buying 5930K? you are on single GPU! buy 5820K save money and go for some better air cooler or buy at least AIO liquid cooler coz you are going to render videos i'm not sure if CM hyper 212 can handle it for long .

CPU: i7 4790K | Ram:Corsair Vengeance 8GB | GPU: Asus R9 270 | Cooling :Corsair H100i | Storage : Intel SSD, Seagate HDDs | PSU : Corsair VS 550 | Case: CM HAF Advanced.

Don't get the Dominator Platinum, get Vengeance or Ripjaws.

Also do not buy the 5930k. The 5820k is a far better option as the only difference is the PCI-E lanes and you are using a single GPU, not 4. (5820k supports 3 gpus)

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

You probably won't need the extra PCIe lanes. Windows 7 is unfortunately going to be obsolete basically in the next couple months since mainstream support for it is ending sometime this month, I mean its plug won't be pulled until 2020 but still...

main stream support is done on 15th this month as i know .

but you can use it for next 1 year with updates you have till now.it is still more stable then windows 8 and much more optimized for gaming.

CPU: i7 4790K | Ram:Corsair Vengeance 8GB | GPU: Asus R9 270 | Cooling :Corsair H100i | Storage : Intel SSD, Seagate HDDs | PSU : Corsair VS 550 | Case: CM HAF Advanced.

every thing looks ok but i recommend why buying 5930K? you are on single GPU! save money and go for some better air cooler or buy at least AIO liquid cooler coz you are going to render videos i'm not sure if CM hyper 212 can handle it for long .

well is there a better cooler thats a fan because i personally don't want to use liquid cooling for my first build since its my first build not very experienced

Also do not buy the 5930k. The 5820k is a far better option as the only difference is the PCI-E lanes and you are using a single GPU, not 4. (5820k supports 3 gpus)

What is the main difference b/t vengeance and dominator ?

you sure i saw benchmarks where the 5820k is slower than the 5930k

well is there a better cooler thats a fan because i personally don't want to use liquid cooling for my first build since its my first build.

Nactua D-14, or Corsair H75 will do the work you want.

but you can use it for next 1 year with updates you have till now.it is still more stable then windows 8 and much more optimized for gaming.

Windows 10 is expected to be released later this year, and if Microsoft does what Apple has been doing now for a few years it will make Windows 10 free for W8(and .1)users or at least make it a cheaper update/upgrade.

but will the system just work if i plug in an ssd that already has stuff on it? Also i will most likely upgrade to windows 10 when it comes out. especally because phil spencer head of gaming at microsoft said that windows 10 could possibly be the best gaming os.

What is the main difference b/t vengeance and dominator ?

The price and the heatsink.

That is all.

This is simply false. They are identical except for the PCI-E lanes and the STOCK clock speeds. A quick overclock to 4.5GHz at 1.3Volts will make it the best value to performance X99 chip. 

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

but will the system just work if i plug in an ssd that already has stuff on it? Also i will most likely upgrade to windows 10 when it comes out. especally because phil spencer head of gaming at microsoft said that windows 10 could possibly be the best gaming os.

i think yes. you just need to uninstall old drivers and install new drivers . restart the PC and it will work. i did that from B75M board to Z97 board. it worked for me

no_shit_sherlock.gif

(Sorry for my sarcasm.)

Anyways yeah if they are not overclocked then yeah the 5930K might preform marginally better but you can overclock the 5820K.

Also AIOs (Like a Silverstone Tundra TD02 or TD03 or Corsair H100i or H80i) shouldn't be that much harder to install but I like the be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 because it's first and foremost quiet and it delivers pretty good cooling results. 

The price and the heatsink.

That is all.

This is simply false. They are identical except for the PCI-E lanes and the STOCK clock speeds. A quick overclock to 4.5GHz at 1.3Volts will make it the best value to performance X99 chip. 

so if you are not a LED fanboy you don't need dominator at all? lol . coz i'm running my Vengeance at 2133mhz (10-11-10-28 CR2) :P its actually 1600mhz(xmp) out the box.

will the 5820k support 2 way sli because in the future i plan on doing that.

so if you are not a LED fanboy you don't need dominator at all? lol . coz i'm running my Vengeance at 2133mhz (10-11-10-28 CR2) :P its actually 1600mhz(xmp) out the box.

Dominator doesn't make sense to use at all.

It's overpriced, and as far as performance, it offers NOTHING over Vengeance in the real world.

will the 5820k support 2 way sli because in the future i plan on doing that.

It supports 3 way SLI.