PC shut down after plugging in a USB Microphone and now won't turn on.

isaxyl

The story is that I plugged my USB in to my back panel I/O and my PC just shut down and won't turn on now. Also, when I tried to unplug the PSU cable I got some weird crackle noise. And to add to my stupidity, I thought "maybe it's dust?" So I grabbed a can of compressed air and started to blow the dust out. Now the little tube that comes out of the can is inside my PSU.

Someone please help me, I've only had this PC for just over 2 weeks and I don't want to have wasted £600 on an ornament.

Thanks,

Dan.

Check your connection cables into the Mobo. Maybe you plugged something at the wrong place lol

Does it make any attempt to power on? Fans spin or a light turn on?

Nope, nothing.

Before you turn anything on, get that damned straw out of your PSU.

Check all connections, pray, start, then update.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Check your connection cables into the Mobo. Maybe you plugged something at the wrong place lol

It was working fine and powered on when I plugged in the USB, so I'm sure it won't be that :c

Be EXTREMELY careful while trying to remove this, the PSU could literaly KILL you if it still has power in it. You'll have to unplug it and try to drain it, and even then let it sit maybe a couple of days (hope someone with some kind of electrical/power education comes along now and clarify this).

Any idea how I could get it out?

Be EXTREMELY careful while trying to remove this, the PSU could literaly KILL you if it still has power in it. You'll have to unplug it and try to drain it, and even then let it sit maybe a couple of days (hope someone with some kind of electrical/power education comes along now and clarify this).

Been told to use something non-conductive, so I'm looking for something like that. But yeah, I really wanna be careful with this. Also this is literally the worst time this can happen as I have exams this week and I got loads of revision material on this pc.

Any idea how I could get it out?

rubber gloves and rubber tongs should work but still be uber careful i was turning on a old lamp and touched my powersupply and shocked the living crap out of me, made me shake my glasses off and all lol... it was nuts but kinda fun

As far as I know, as long as it's not conductive, nothing will happen. That's why cables can touch circuit boards all they want because the materials used are non-conductive.

I realize it takes a bit of trust to believe what I'm saying OP, so do it at your own risk. That being said, be safe. If you don't feel like turning it on at at all with the plastic straw in there, then just let it sit there for a while. Is the straw totally in the unit or sticking out?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

rubber gloves and rubber tongs should work but still be uber careful i was turning on a old lamp and touched my powersupply and shocked the living crap out of me, made me shake my glasses off and all lol... it was nuts but kinda fun

I touch my power supply all the time.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

As far as I know, as long as it's not conductive, nothing will happen. That's why cables can touch circuit boards all they want because the materials used are non-conductive.

I realize it takes a bit of trust to believe what I'm saying OP, so do it at your own risk. That being said, be safe. If you don't feel like turning it on at at all with the plastic straw in there, then just let it sit there for a while. Is the straw totally in the unit or sticking out?

Since I have the Prodigy M, the PSU is only held in by a thumbscrew. Took it out and shook it and the straw is now out of there.

Since I have the Prodigy M, the PSU is only held in by a thumbscrew. Took it out and shook it and the straw is now out of there.

Now onto the main issue. Which PSU cable did you unplug?

Yeah that f***** will light you up like a Christmas tree. It has huge capacitors in it which will hold a charge for some time till they're discharged to ground.

My experience is DIY high voltage coil guns, as well as a few years of robotics.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

I think that's a fair exaggeration. While accidentally discharging your PSU would result in an untimely, and not pleasant situation, chances are he would be fine. If OP were to bath in salt water, have have metal rods in his legs, even then chances are he would come out fine.

There of course, is the rare chance of serious injury or death, and of course he should be careful, he shouldn't exactly have the idea of death looming over his head.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

I touch my power supply all the time.

well my old lamp wasnt grounded very well and im not sure if the power supply or the lamp shocked me but it kinda made me feel a little loopy and high lmfao

Been told to use something non-conductive, so I'm looking for something like that. But yeah, I really wanna be careful with this. Also this is literally the worst time this can happen as I have exams this week and I got loads of revision material on this pc.

Yeah dude, dont wana die right before finals, wana get that shit done then after the exams you can die.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

well my old lamp wasnt grounded very well and im not sure if the power supply or the lamp shocked me but it kinda made me feel a little loopy and high lmfao

How much power does the lamp pull? The most electrocution I've gotten is from my laptop's power brick. I went to unplug it and the prongs were slightly exposed and I touched them. They were still making contact and I got a small tingling.

Yeah dude, dont wana die right before finals, wana get that shit done then after the exams you can die.

well yeah kind of, wanna make a good reputation, lol. Make sure your in the bath tub when you take out your power supply

important note-

MAKE SURE THERE'S WATER IN THE BATH TUB BEFORE YOU START

well yeah kind of, wanna make a good reputation, lol. Make sure your in the bath tub when you take out your power supply

important note-

lol'd

important note-

Interesting fact about water...water in of itself is a poor conductor of electricity.

How much power does the lamp pull? The most electrocution I've gotten is from my laptop's power brick. I went to unplug it and the prongs were slightly exposed and I touched them. They were still making contact and I got a small tingling.

no clue, i had my screw driver in my hand pulled the lamp to turn it on and grabbed my case and the back of my powersupply as i was looking to make sure i didnt drop a screw anyway and i stood straight up shook my head back and forth threw the screw driver straight down and shook and felt super high for a few seconds and my hair was standing on end lol... it honestly was so fun but so scary..

Interesting fact about water...water in of itself is a poor conductor of electricity.

Lol

until you drop a toaster in.