Running ethernet cable outside

Raboo

Can I run ethernet outside? I need to run a cable from the basement to the 2nd floor of my house (powerline is not cutting it anymore) has anyone does this if so any tips?

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

put it in a protective tube, and get CAT6 if you can, to be sure it wont drop packets

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

You can find some pretty sturdy cables that will protect itself from the rain/wind/snow (if applicable) but I would cover it as well 

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

Can you not run it through your house?

It would be way easier to do.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Hide the cable inside the outer panels of the house, or even the ones on the corners of the house (just find some that goes upwards :P )

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9

I would say get a more 'rugged' one and put it in some rubber tubing for extra protection, and get Cat6 as you can get longer cables without any loss.

Expert procrastinator.

There is Ethernet cable especially for outside use. I have found some that costs around 1,25€ per meter so around the same as cat7 duplex. PVC tubing would be nice or do some steel tubing. Be aware that cable for the outside is installation cable so that you need to put jacks at either end.

How cold is it getting at your place? How hot in summer?

Normal cat5 installation cable will be fine for some years as well. But no permanent solution.

Get outside rated cable. preferably shielded too.

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: GTX 780 Case: Corsair 540 Air Storage: 2x Intel 520 SSD Raid 0 PSU: Corsair AX850 Display(s): 1x 27" Samsung Monitor 3x 24" Asus Monitors Cooling: Swifttech H220 Keyboard: Logitech 710+ Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 --- Internet: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1107/gallery_12431_1107_23677.png My Setup:  http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/7922-1-rkcf7io/ -- NAS: 3x WD Red 3TB Drives (RAIDZ-1), 5x 750gb Seagate ES HDD(RAIDZ-1), 120gb SSD for caching, OS: FreeNAS --  Server 1: Xeon E3 1275v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5 -- Server 2: Xeon E3 1220v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5

So can or can't. Definitely easier, definitely nicer (less easy).

Well i can but i would need to put a pretty big hole on a inside wall and fish it to my basement 2 floors down vs just drilling a little hole in a outside wall since where the jack would go is a outside wall.

There is Ethernet cable especially for outside use. I have found some that costs around 1,25€ per meter so around the same as cat7 duplex. PVC tubing would be nice or do some steel tubing. Be aware that cable for the outside is installation cable so that you need to put jacks at either end.

How cold is it getting at your place? How hot in summer?

Normal cat5 installation cable will be fine for some years as well. But no permanent solution.

Its about -20C in the winter and +30C in the summer. Thanks

Edit: oops forgot to Multi Quote

There are cables that are specified for up to -55 sooo you're good.

Ok Thanks will look into that.

put it in a protective tube, and get CAT6 if you can, to be sure it wont drop packets

by "protective tube" you mean electrical conduit?

by "protective tube" you mean electrical conduit?

I dont know how it's called in English. Just the normal orange builders tube just for some mechanical protection :)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Something I haven't seen anyone stress is make sure where the cable re-enters the building it will not carry small amounts of water-(something called a drip loop).

As for the cable itself, if it is for short term it shouldn't be a issue make sure it isn't loosing packets. 

Long term may be an issue with weather and UV use electrical conduit and make sure it is again fully sealed.

p_SCW_240_02.jpg

Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel Core i5 3570k 4.2 GHz, EVGA GTX 780, Corsair Vengeance 16Gb ,

Samsung EVO 250&500Gb, Western Digital Black 2TB,  Corsair RM 750

Custom Water Loop

CPU Block Koolance 380iGPU Block EKWB Clean CSQPump Laing DDC w/ EKWB X-RES 100Radiatiors NexXxoS Monsta 240 & Swiftech 240x35Tubing PrimoChill Primoflex Advanced LRT Elegant White 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFittings White Monsoon Free Centre Compression Fittings 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFans6x Noctua NF-F12 w/Noctua LNA Adaptors

For the part where the cable goes through the wall I would recommend you contact a firm that does satellite dishes or a normal builder. Since the pass-through has to be 1) vapor proof 2) insulated 3) waterproof. You want a good solution that does not compromise your house.

What kind of wall are we talking here? The range from wooden to hollow bricks with seperate clinker wall to century-old massive walls to outside styrofoam insulation is very wide. There are some cases where it is far cheaper to let the cable run internally.

For the part where the cable goes through the wall I would recommend you contact a firm that does satellite dishes or a normal builder. Since the pass-through has to be 1) vapor proof 2) insulated 3) waterproof. You want a good solution that does not compromise your house.

What kind of wall are we talking here? The range from wooden to hollow bricks with seperate clinker wall to century-old massive walls to outside styrofoam insulation is very wide. There are some cases where it is far cheaper to let the cable run internally.

Its a wall with siding on the outside and drywall on the inside with some wood in the middle. i'm thinking that it might be better to just run the cable on the inside of the house.

Its a wall with siding on the outside and drywall on the inside with some wood in the middle. i'm thinking that it might be better to just run the cable on the inside of the house.

Perfect. Drywall plus wood is a handy combination to work with. Going inside will be easier & cheaper.

I had to drill through a 40cm thick, massive old wall to get some ethernet cable through (and that was an interior wall).

Perfect. Drywall plus wood is a handy combination to work with. Going inside will be easier & cheaper.

I had to drill through a 40cm thick, massive old wall to get some ethernet cable through (and that was an interior wall).

Thanks for the help :) 

Cat6 isn't necessary for this, unless you want to spend more money for some reason. The only benefit is you'll probably find better quality Cat6 than Cat5e due to a lot of manufactures making crappy $60 1,000' rolls of Cat5e.

They sell outdoor cable that varies in quality. Starting with a typical cable that has a UV rated sheathing so the sun will not break it down, all the way to a 3/8" diameter cable that is filled with a stick goop for water resistance. The cheap stuff will likely be fine for the life of gigabit internet. You can find 100' chunks on eBay for ~$50 that will work fine.

Plenum (CMP) cable is not outdoor rated, but I'd bet you'll get a good 5+ years out of it before it starts decaying and the sheathing flakes off, and another 5 years before it actually quits working. Plenum is intended for running in your duct work, so if there is a spot in both places near a cold air return or vent you could try and fish a cable thru that without even needing to drill a hole.

If you do drill a hole in the exterior of the building, be sure to seal it with silicone.

Running cables inside of exterior walls is usually a complete PITA due to insulation in the walls, so go for a wall in the center of the house if you decide to go up the inside of a wall. You may get lucky and have the cold air return on the second floor stacked above the first cold air return, so you'd only need to drill a couple of holes in hidden places the vent will cover to get up.

As said earlier, the outdoor rated cables are very likely going to be solid wires, so you will have to punch them down to keystones as they do not make good connection to RJ45s.

You'll need at least conduit if not also outdoor cable to do that properly.

Cat6 isn't necessary for this, unless you want to spend more money for some reason. The only benefit is you'll probably find better quality Cat6 than Cat5e due to a lot of manufactures making crappy $60 1,000' rolls of Cat5e.

They sell outdoor cable that varies in quality. Starting with a typical cable that has a UV rated sheathing so the sun will not break it down, all the way to a 3/8" diameter cable that is filled with a stick goop for water resistance. The cheap stuff will likely be fine for the life of gigabit internet. You can find 100' chunks on eBay for ~$50 that will work fine.

Plenum (CMP) cable is not outdoor rated, but I'd bet you'll get a good 5+ years out of it before it starts decaying and the sheathing flakes off, and another 5 years before it actually quits working. Plenum is intended for running in your duct work, so if there is a spot in both places near a cold air return or vent you could try and fish a cable thru that without even needing to drill a hole.

If you do drill a hole in the exterior of the building, be sure to seal it with silicone.

Running cables inside of exterior walls is usually a complete PITA due to insulation in the walls, so go for a wall in the center of the house if you decide to go up the inside of a wall. You may get lucky and have the cold air return on the second floor stacked above the first cold air return, so you'd only need to drill a couple of holes in hidden places the vent will cover to get up.

As said earlier, the outdoor rated cables are very likely going to be solid wires, so you will have to punch them down to keystones as they do not make good connection to RJ45s.

I have no air vents as i live in a old house. i'm thinking that at this point i might just run it through a inside wall that has no insulation. thanks for the info.