Nuclear Power *Poll*

connorpiper

So for English we have to write an essay, and because our science teachers wanted to be a part of it. The topic is "Nuclear power; A yes, or a no?"

I just wanted to see your opinion. Even if you are not educated on the topic. (As most are not)

If we keep upgrade our funding, Gen V+ Reactors could be completely renewable. (Cold, Pressurized, and Molten Fission) 

Sorry about the amount of options. 

Fun Fact: When Greenpeace forced the Sweedish government to shut down their main Nuclear powerplant, the backup generators exploded, causing massive power outages. The power plant was back up within an hour. 

piepower.gif

Current power generation. The least efficient is Coal. The most pollution is coal. 

And it powers 45% of the world. 

UPDATE: 80% of our school was for nuclear. I wrote about 5 pages. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Nuke power is one of the cleaner more efficient forms of nonrenewable energy sources that we have right now... sure the maintenance and operations are bothersome and delicate, but the power that in can produce is massive enough to justify the costs...

All that remains right now is to remove the negative image of nuclear power...

Well, after the disaster in Japan almost 4 years ago, California shut down their nuclear plants near San Diego. We almost had a meltdown in 1979 in Pennsylvania, and Chernobyl, as you know, had a meltdown.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Nuke power is one of the cleaner more efficient forms of nonrenewable energy sources that we have right now... sure the maintenance and operations are bothersome and delicate, but the power that in can produce is massive enough to justify the costs...

All that remains right now is to remove the negative image of nuclear power...

Uranium is cheaper than coal per MW. 

My opinion is that Nuclear Energy is the best form of energy we have. 

If we can get rid of the bad press (as @DigitalHemit said) it could become a viable solution.

If there's any way to make the Nuclear Plants safer, then it'd be the best form of energy the Human Race has ever created.  (already quite safe, in reality only a few major accidents happen in comparison to how many plants there are)

Look at all them submarines, they run on Nuclear Reactors don't they :P

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

I say allocate money to renewable power sources while pushing for Fusion Power. 

Check out the multination project ITER!

http://www.iter.org/

Fusion can be used in FBR Reactors (Fast Breeder Reactors) to re-enrich the waste for another loop through the Fission reactor.

But as said on Wikipedia, Fusion just does not produce as much heat. (Well, what we can do within the next 100 years) 

Really why not?

It's about better implementation and precautions. 

System: Thinkpad T460

Well, after the disaster in Japan almost 4 years ago, California shut down their nuclear plants near San Diego. We almost had a meltdown in 1979 in Pennsylvania, and Chernobyl, as you know, had a meltdown.

You mean the nuclear boobies? (Drive past them alot)

IMG_2361crop.jpg

I am a happy wuffy

I don't know if I like the idea of nuclear. Sure, used properly, it creates a fuck ton of power and it's clean, but if not maintained right, a whole city could be gone. I've seen the results. It's not pretty. I don't want to die a deadly death.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I don't know if I like the idea of nuclear. Sure, used properly, it creates a fuck ton of power and it's clean, but if not maintained right, a whole city could be gone. I've seen the results. It's not pretty. I don't want to die a deadly death.

Because of radiation. A reactor cannot explode like a Nuclear bomb. 

But if we continue Coal power generation, same fate. 

It's the next step to energy production for our race really. Solar and Wind can only go so far compared to Nuclear or Fusion(hopefully soon). 

Because of radiation. A reactor cannot explode like a Nuclear bomb. 

But if we continue Coal power generation, same fate. 

I really like the experimental take on Fusion Power at the moment, three or four times the power of Fission(Nuclear) and it produces less radioactive waste... Plus in the case of a catastrophic failure a Fusion reactor would only vaporize everything within the vicinity of the reaction, where as a nuclear fission meltdown would send highly radioactive particles into the atmosphere. 

Fusion is safer and produces far more power at the cost of needing tons of power to start. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Nuclear power is the cleanest energy source when done right.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

The only reason against nuclear power is that humans are stupid and make errors. If nuclear fusion could function perfectly we would have almost infinite renewable energy with 0 maintenance.

Now we just need to continue innovating the technology until it becomes perfect. It is the most efficient and cleanest way of creating power.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Fusion can be used in FBR Reactors (Fast Breeder Reactors) to re-enrich the waste for another loop through the Fission reactor.

But as said on Wikipedia, Fusion just does not produce as much heat. (Well, what we can do within the next 100 years) 

The problem with fusion is the heat needed to initiate and sustain it... With current developments, it's still at a net loss of power generated...

The main problem that I see with fission is the fear of the people... With proper planning and execution, it's safe...

Japan was an unprecendented natural disaster, but the plant withheld before that big one... Chernobyl and Three Mile are cases of old tech...

Lessons have already been learned and countermeasures are ready to be implemented... All that remains is to change the outlook...

Most Nuclear power plants aren't place near heavily populated areas. At least here anyway.

The problem with fusion is the heat needed to initiate and sustain it... With current developments, it's still at a net loss of power generated...

The main problem that I see with fission is the fear of the people... With proper planning and execution, it's safe...

Japan was an unprecendented natural disaster, but the plant withheld before that big one... Chernobyl and Three Mile are cases of old tech...

Lessons have already been learned and countermeasures are ready to be implemented... All that remains is to change the outlook...

And if we can get molten salt cooled fast reactors that can recycle water from a water tank (Or lead or sodium). We can move Nuclear Power Plants from water sources.

And away from dangerous places. 

Nuclear energy is really great. A bigger problem than the possibility of meltdowns is things like this, where I live, we've had problems with improper disposal of nuclear rods, which is contaminating groundwater.

The three mile island meltdown released as much radiation as 3 x-ray scans at a doctors office would, it takes 50 times the radiation of an average x-ray to be deadly.

The reason Chernobyl was as bad as it was is because while most nuclear reactors have some kind of housing around them that contains any kind of radiation that leaks out during operation, Chernobyl had none at all. So when things went bad, there was nothing to stop the radiation from going everywhere.

Japan's meltdown was a lot worse on the news than it was in actuality. Not that it wasn't bad, but it was much better than it could have been. They were hit by a 9.1 earthquake, then more than 10 aftershocks over 8.0, and then a tsunami twice as high as what they had expected the plant might have to deal with. That isn't exactly something that happens everyday, and the fact that the plant was still functioning properly until the tsunami hit is more shocking/amazing than the fact that it had a meltdown. It was dealt with very well for the circumstances.

As long as they're built and operated properly, there's no danger.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Nuclear energy is really great. A bigger problem than the possibility of meltdowns is things like this, where I live, we've had problems with improper disposal of nuclear rods, which is contaminating groundwater.

The three mile island meltdown released as much radiation as 3 x-ray scans at a doctors office would, it takes 50 times the radiation of an average x-ray to be deadly.

The reason Chernobyl was as bad as it was is because while most nuclear reactors have some kind of housing around them that contains any kind of radiation that leaks out during operation, Chernobyl had none at all. So when things went bad, there was nothing to stop the radiation from going everywhere.

Japan's meltdown was a lot worse on the news than it was in actuality. Not that it wasn't bad, but it was much better than it could have been. They were hit by a 9.1 earthquake, then more than 10 aftershocks over 8.0, and then a tsunami twice as high as what they had expected the plant might have to deal with. That isn't exactly something that happens everyday, and the fact that the plant was still functioning properly until the tsunami hit is more shocking/amazing than the fact that it had a meltdown. It was dealt with very well for the circumstances.

As long as they're built and operated properly, there's no danger.

The only fail they had there was the casing was cracked in the earthquake, and they had to cool the reactor for 14 hours in the ocean. 

Let's keep away from Solar and Wind. They take up land that could otherwise be used for something like farming.

Nuclear fusion is the future for power, or Geothermal.

The engine roars but then it gives, but never dies

We don't live we just survive

On the scraps that you throw awaaaaaay

And if we can get molten salt cooled fast reactors that can recycle water from a water tank (Or lead or sodium). We can move Nuclear Power Plants from water sources.

And away from dangerous places. 

Yep...

There's an abandoned nuclear power plant in our country... It never saw action because of the administration that got it built and the recent nuclear disasters that kept the people in fear... I frequent a research facility that we have and luckily, they allowed the use of different isotopes for research purposes...

Let's keep away from Solar and Wind. They take up land that could otherwise be used for something like farming.

Wind farms can double as cattle farms you know? also there's the feasibility of building the wind farms close to shore... as for solar, urban solar farming is an option...

There are solar panels on pretty much every house on my block including mine. They do save space while having something to do, provide electricity.

Commercial solar energy options are very viable though. Residential set ups stand to benefit greatly from such options. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Nuclear power is seemingly efficient, but it produces hazardous waste material that will remain hazardous for thousands if not millions of years. I don't think nuclear power is as clean as we think it is. It may be useful now, but we have to think of future consequences. Other power sources may be more expensive or inefficient, but at least they are unlimited.

I'm not SAV1OUR. I promise. | Number of successfully bricked phones: 1 Samsung Galaxy S5 | 01001001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01100001 01101110 00100000 01100101 01101100 01100001 01100010 01101111 01110010 01100001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01110010 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101110