To Blow or Not to Blow

Hello LTT forum, I am in a slight dilemma. I am working on a build for my wife and I am stuck on the topic of which cooler design to choose for her GTX 970. The case is going to be an aerocool like this one http://www.aerocool.us/ds/ds_bl.html (windowed version). As it will be configured, the CPU is going to be water cooled with an all in one that is going to take up the top case fan slots, leaving only the rear exhaust and the massive front intake. Would it be more efficient for airflow and general temperatures to opt for a reference blower design on the GPU to expel the hot air directly out of the case, or to go for an aftermarket design? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

to blow...

aka reference

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

That was what I had pretty much concluded myself. I figured here would probably be the best place to find assurance, though.

click bait

id blow bro, id blow it real good

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Hello LTT forum, I am in a slight dilemma. I am working on a build for my wife and I am stuck on the topic of which cooler design to choose for her GTX 970. The case is going to be an aerocool like this one http://www.aerocool.us/ds/ds_bl.html (windowed version). As it will be configured, the CPU is going to be water cooled with an all in one that is going to take up the top case fan slots, leaving only the rear exhaust and the massive front intake. Would it be more efficient for airflow and general temperatures to opt for a reference blower design on the GPU to expel the hot air directly out of the case, or to go for an aftermarket design? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

So you are building a quiet machine, huh? Open air cooler. For sure. Don't even think about blowers, unless you'll be going for WC the GPU as well. They are very noisy, and the slightly better airflow on the case comes at the expense of a much hotter GPU.

More specifically, MSI Gaming 4G or the Asus strix, the cheapest of the 2.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I had read a bit that supports opting for a non reference design due to those reasons. I just wonder if there will be adequate cool air for the remainder of the components.

I had read a bit that supports opting for a non reference design due to those reasons. I just wonder if there will be adequate cool air for the remainder of the components.

Those components were designed to handle such cenarios. Also, remember that a 970 only has 145W TDP, much lower that other high-end cards previously had. This means less heat dumped into the case.

You'll be fine.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Very good point that I hadn't considered. Definitely food for thought.

The gigabyte Windforce coolers are great. I have a custom fan profile on mine to run the fans at 10% until 50 degrees. honestly my 140mm case fans running @ 5v are louder than the Windforce @ 10%

The card idles along at about 44 deg in windows and about 20-30 degrees while the screens "sleeping" - I have my drivers set to prefer high performance and run a custom BIOS that results in higher idle voltages as well.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

I had previously opted for the MSI twin frozr design on my rig, but I'll have to check that out.

Seems like all we talk about on this forum are Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970's, I'm surprised to see such support for blower coolers. :P

I'd go with an aftermarket cooled one, myself. It will blow a bit of hot air around, but the GPU is likely to be the hottest thing in your case. I don't think it makes sense to run the GPU to run a little hotter to avoid warming other components that are going to be just fine either way. Pay attention to your case fans and it will be perfectly fine.