the most optimised GPU for 1080p 60fps

So i am making a build soon and i already have my monitor because i used it with my xbox 360. But I have found the light and am moving to the PC Master Race. my monitor is 60Hz 1920x1080 and i really like it. the problem for me is picking a good GPU because i don't want to waste any money on an overkill GPU. I was originally planning to get a 970 but then i looked into benchmarks on games that i like to play or am thinking of getting and it clears 60fps a lot of the time on ultra. i don't mind playing games on lower settings than ultra if i need to but i was wondering, is there an existing or soon to be released GPU that is cheaper than the 970 but isn't too strong or a waste for single monitor 1080p 60fps gaming? i have been looking at the MSI R9 290 which is roughly $100 cheaper than the mid range 970's, however AMD gets frowned upon for various things. Could someone tell me if it is better for my wallet to go with the 290 or if the 970 is just worth it plain and simple. i dont want to be playing on medium settings though, preferably high-ultra or a mix in between the two. if there isnt anything to suite this please tell me so i know. cheers (:

monitor: http://www.benq.com.au/product/monitor/rl2455hm/specifications/

build my GPU will go into: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/Tcn2YJ

Well I have a 660ti(not that powerful) and I can run most games at high/max settings usually with no AA or 2x AA at 60FPS+. So I guess you could go for a 760, not too sure what the equivalent is on the AMD side,

however I'd just wait there is supposedly a 960 coming soon I'd wait for that if I were you. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I would wait for the GTX 960. But the GTX 760 does what you say. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Cool (: when is the 960 going to come out? if its soon are there any benchmarks to look at yet? thanks

the r9 280 is better than the 760 for the same price point... in most situations. I would go with the 280 if you aren't willing to wait for the 960

SHAMEFUL DISPRAY

AMD R9 280 or Nvidia 960/760/750ti should do the job

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

Gtx 760 or 770. A 970 is overkill, but slightly "futureproof".

On the AMD side you got the R9 280, 280x, or 285. Again, the 290 is a little overkill, but will give you a little headroom in future games, like the 970.

As previously mentioned, the GTX 960 should be coming out soon, so you might want to wait for that, it should come out Q1.

I'm that guy with the GPD Win.

Cool (: when is the 960 going to come out? if its soon are there any benchmarks to look at yet? thanks

there are two rumors: 

1) its out on the 22nd of January (I have seen a photo of one in a store, so maybe)

2) Nvidia will hold off until later in jan/feb/mar as 970 sales are still too good and that's the main competitor for sales so they would be shooting them selves in the foot by launching now.

the 960 is going to be (rumoured to be) slightly faster than the R9 280...

it will of course most likely use less power and run cooler

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

ok it would seem that the 960 is perfect for my needs but i cannot find any release date anywhere? does anybody know what month of Q1 because i want to build my PC feb/march. thanks for the help either way (:

Probably looking at coming out 960, 760 or r9 280. If you are looking at r9 280 vs 760, the 280 is around 5-15% FPS better, and consumes around 20%-40% more power, they cost around the same.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

750ti is the poster GPU for this situation. I have a friend who games at 1080p with intel Pentium G3258... 750ti shrekts 1080p

According to a few websites the GTX 960 is coming out Next week January 22nd although this has not been confirmed. Also, some places are saying it should perform about as well as a GTX 770 for around $200.

If you are not dead set on nvidia cards then you can find R9 290's under $300 that although power hungry and hot, they will push seriously great framerates. 

Personally I would wait for GTX 960 just because mid range nvidia cards are always beasts for the price.

I am addicted to building gaming PCs but I don't have a great reason to stop...yet...