Charging with 5V USB

WhatTheQuack

Hello LTT,

I am currently studying Product Design (amongst other things) at AS level at college (UK equivalent of high school I believe).

As my project, I will be making a 'smart' table; I know, its dumb.

The table will feature an integrated Raspberry Pi controlled lighting system, and the ability to charge devices over USB. Because the LEDs will require a 12V supply; and the RPi and charging ports require a 5V supply, I will be using a molex power supply to provide both voltages simultaneously. So my question is, can an iPad be charged from a usb port which is simply wired to a 5V 2A supply via the USB port's power pins?

And don't worry, a build log will be coming soon...

TL;DR:

My question is, can an iPad be charged from a usb port which is simply wired to a 5V 2A supply via the USB port's power pins?

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

Hello LTT,

I am currently studying Product Design (amongst other things) at AS level at college (UK equivalent of high school I believe).

The table will feature an integrated Raspberry Pi controlled lighting system, and the ability to charge devices over USB. Because the LEDs will require a 12V supply; and the RPi and charging ports require a 5V supply, I will be using a molex power supply to provide both voltages simultaneously. So my question is, can an iPad be charged from a usb port which is simply wired to a 5V 2A supply via the USB port's power pins?

TL;DR:

My question is, can an iPad be charged from a usb port which is simply wired to a 5V 2A supply via the USB port's power pins?

Yes it an iPad should be able to charge as long as the correct voltage and enough amps are supplied by the PSU, you want to make sure the charging rate is controlled so it doesn't ruin the battery or goes too fast to cause any overheating issues or worst.

Hello LTT,

TL;DR:

I want a smart table! :D

I want a smart table! :D

Haha! I will go into more detail of its functionality when I start the build log. Speaking of which, where would be the best place to post it? I'm not sure it really counts as a PC build.

Yes it an iPad should be able to charge as long as the correct voltage and enough amps are supplied by the PSU, you want to make sure the charging rate is controlled so it doesn't ruin the battery or goes too fast to cause any overheating issues or worst.

So, capacitors? Sorry, I'm a total electronics noob, I will have to talk to my Product Design teacher about that.

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

Haha! I will go into more detail of its functionality when I start the build log. Speaking of which, where would be the best place to post it? I'm not sure it really counts as a PC build.

Indeed it does not but I am pretty sure the mods will let you post or just move it to the correct section. Technically, it is a computer... there is a rasberry pi something in there, lol.

So, capacitors? Sorry, I'm a total electronics noob, I will have to talk to my Product Design teacher about that.

I'm not very familiar with the details of the iPad battery since they may have hardware built in to control the charging rate but in general for any bare lithium polymer or lithium ion battery there needs to be a regulated charging rate which is usually done by a charge controller.

I'm not very familiar with the details of the iPad battery since they may have hardware built in to control the charging rate but in general for any bare lithium polymer or lithium ion battery there needs to be a regulated charging rate which is usually done by a charge controller.

Ah, okay. I suspected that this may be the case. So would I be better off using a 12v psu for the LEDs, and buying a cheap USB charger for the 5v supply?

My PC:

Ah, okay. I suspected that this may be the case. So would I be better off using a 12v psu for the LEDs, and buying a cheap USB charger for the 5v supply?

That would probably be the best thing so there is no possibility of ruining the battery on the iPad, just be sure to have a 12V switching PSU for the LED's to ensure their lifetime and not burn them out prematurely.

That would probably be the best thing so there is no possibility of ruining the battery on the iPad, just be sure to have a 12V switching PSU for the LED's to ensure their lifetime and not burn them out prematurely.

I thought of an alternative idea, which would be to just use a 12v PSU for the LEDs, and use a cheap usb car charger to adapt the 12v supply to a USB charging port. That way I won't need to mess around with mains voltage wiring to get 2 PSUs running on one wall plug.

My PC:

I thought of an alternative idea, which would be to just use a 12v PSU for the LEDs, and use a cheap usb car charger to adapt the 12v supply to a USB charging port. That way I won't need to mess around with mains voltage wiring to get 2 PSUs running on one wall plug.

But it's not gonna be enough work and you are going to fail! D: