How to convince my parents to let me buy a new graphic card

Tommylebig

Firstly, what kind of computer do you have right now?

This guy is right. We might be looking at a big bottleneck here.

Also, what GPU are you planning to buy?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

4 Core i5 , 8gb ram and a Radeon hd 5000 something

Prebuilt, like an HP or a Dell?  Or was it built by you and your father?

Maybe make a deal where they can either

1) Limit the time you play games

2) Decide whether or not you can play a game before you buy it

It sucks, but it's a good compromise, as then they feel like they have more power, and you get what you want as well. Are you <15? If so, convincing your parents of anything is difficult, even if they know little on the subject. Trust me, I had parents that were almost afraid of video games, and now they accept them and can see the artistic value and storytelling that they have, even if they personally don't play them (I don't play CoD, so I'm a different story). Change takes time.

I am 13 and they know what game I want to play because they manage my money

Prebuilt, like an HP or a Dell?  Or was it built by you and your father?

my father built it

Best advice i can give you is save up your money and move out then buy what ever you want.

He's 13, lol.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

He's 13, lol.

already told it in the previous page , you have a problem with it ?

Well I usually get good grades, and do chores which is how i earned my laptop.

Remember a wise man once said, "You'll most likely hear/see more bad reviews from products than good, because if they get a good product, they won't bother to write a review, and if they got a bad product, they'll complain about the product" ~ SoftenButterCream

my father built it

Your father built a computer, but refuses to install a GPU? 

Hogwash! 

Every kid of my age play COD the only game they don't want me to play is Grand Theft Auto

I feel so sorry for this generation...when I was 13 not only were we playing outside more but we sure as hell weren't playing COD. We were playing the classics, pretty much all the originals to the biggest franchises today, RIP. 

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

I am 13 and they know what game I want to play because they manage my money

Ok, then it'll be tough. In fact, it might not happen at all. You might have to get used to playing games on low settings, until my recent rig I played on a Core 2 Duo / Nvidia 9600GT / 3GB of RAM system for a few years!  :lol:

I don't know anything about you, so all I can say is come up with some solid points that make sense to an adult looking at a 13-year-old; you have friends you can only communicate with through these games, etc.

my father built it

Well, then... back to the beginning I guess.  It is up to your parents.  Goodluck!  :)

already told it in the previous page , you have a problem with it ?

The person who I was responding to said you should save up money and move out.........I told him that you were 13, and that pretty much made me "lol". I doubt you're moving out anytime soon considering you're not even old enough to get a job....

Ok, then it'll be tough. In fact, it might not happen at all. You might have to get used to playing games on low settings, until my recent rig I played on a Core 2 Duo / Nvidia 9600GT / 3GB of RAM system for a few years!  :lol:

I don't know anything about you, so all I can say is come up with some solid points that make sense to an adult looking at a 13-year-old; you have friends you can only communicate with through these games, etc.

I know them , they are at the same school as me

I was 13 in 1998.... oh jeez. I think at that time I was playing Total Annihilation.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

The person who I was responding to said you should save up money and move out.........I told him that you were 13, and that pretty much made me "lol". I doubt you're moving out anytime soon considering you're not even old enough to get a job....

Ok I see

The GPU of I was looking into is a Radeon HD 7770 it is 125$

I know them , they are at the same school as me

Ok, then find something else. Get creative! If you show that you put effort into your attempt, then they might sympathize.

Maybe offer to do extra chores, and sell the old card to help pay for the new one? What card are you looking at? I could help find it cheaper, or a different card that performs similarly but costs less. If you're trying to spend most of your money on it, that's a tough sell.

Maybe make a deal where they can either

1) Limit the time you play games

2) Decide whether or not you can play a game before you buy it

It sucks, but it's a good compromise, as then they feel like they have more power, and you get what you want as well. Are you <15? If so, convincing your parents of anything is difficult, even if they know little on the subject. Trust me, I had parents that were almost afraid of video games, and now they accept them and can see the artistic value and storytelling that they have, even if they personally don't play them (I don't play CoD, so I'm a different story). Change takes time.

I already have a limit of 1h/day

Here's one for much less on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-DL-DVI-I-SL-DVI-D-PCI-Express-11201-12-20G/dp/B009O7YZA6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421205698&sr=8-2&keywords=radeon+hd+7770

If you find a cheaper one, it might make it easier to convince them.

I can't buy on Amazon US , I am in Canada and Amazon Canada don't accept Paypal and my father don't want to put anything else than Paypal

The one I wanted is 125$ and he don't want so I don't think of he want more for a more expensive one

Fair enough.

He's 13, lol.

It just has to be this way sometimes give it 5 years and he will be gone.