XFX R9 290x DD vs. Gainward GTX 970 Phantom considering FreeSync

Go to solution Solved by VortexS,

I have a Seasonic M12II-750 Evo so there shouldn't be a problem with that as long as i don't Crossfire the 290x ;)

Well I'd love to get some R9 3x0 GPU, but there just aren't enough informations available.

I was hoping AMD would get something ready for the CES.

Gsync and FreeSync are amazing and you never want a non Sync monitor again. I'd go for the FreeSync option no doubt.

Hey guys

I'm planning on getting a new GPU and both of the mentioned GPU's are available for the same price in my country.

Usually I'd go for the 970 and i know it's benefits, but I want to upgrade my monitor soon and FreeSync looks so sexy. 

What do you think would get me the better gaming experience. GTX 970 + normal 1080p monitor or the R9 290x + FreeSync.

The noise isn't much of a problem because it's going to be placed rather far away.

Pls try to explain your decisions and don't just say which one is better.  ;)

390x? :D

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I have a Seasonic M12II-750 Evo so there shouldn't be a problem with that as long as i don't Crossfire the 290x  ;)

Well I'd love to get some R9 3x0 GPU, but there just aren't enough informations available.

I have a Seasonic M12II-750 Evo so there shouldn't be a problem with that as long as i don't Crossfire the 290x ;)

Gsync and FreeSync are amazing and you never want a non Sync monitor again. I'd go for the FreeSync option no doubt.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

So do you actually own one or is it just speculation?

I just read that Nvidia might support FreeSync so maybe I won't have to decide which one to get. Guess I just wait a month or 2 until the FreeSync monitors have been reviewed.

So do you actually own one or is it just speculation?

I just read that Nvidia might support FreeSync so maybe I won't have to decide which one to get. Guess I just wait a month or 2 until the FreeSync monitors have been reviewed.

They clearly mentioned they won't.

I as I understand it Gsync and Free-sync do the same thing, and will be more an 'either it works or it doesn't', than a which works better kind of deal. Which leaves price, Free-sync should be cheaper as they don't have to pay AMD, and availability, Gsync is available now. But most importantly, and a real kicker for me, is which GPU manufacture do you want to be tied to for the life of your monitor? If your not in a hurry I'd hang tight and see how things pan out with Free-sync and possibly the R9 390.

They clearly mentioned they won't.

Can you give me a source?

A TH article from september said that they might support it.

At least if Intel supports it, Nvidia will have to follow.

I have a 290 DD card and it tops out at ~74 in BF4. Looks great, it's rather quiet, no complaints here.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

I have a 290 DD card and it tops out at ~74 in BF4. Looks great, it's rather quiet, no complaints here.

Well awesome, so i get the r9 290x + Freesync  :P Thank you guys

Well awesome, so i get the r9 290x + Freesync  :P Thank you guys

Support is good too, I RMA'ed a used reference mining card I bought and got a brand new in box DD card. It's a fairly long card so make sure you have room! 

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

Sounds good!

The size shouldn't be a problem. It will be placed in my NZXT H440.

According to OC3D the DD is one of the best 290 cards. I hope the 290x is fairly the same.