Tablet/phone Ship Control App partially and tentatively confirmed

Adreyu

On the latest 10 for the producers they were asked about controlling ships from the tablet/phone app like a separate console for your ship. 

They said its something they would like to do, they arent working on it currently but they really want it in the game. 

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14424-10-For-The-Producers-Episode-3

Hmmm... Touch screen display with a hud/gui/whatever that looks like the one in game? And when your not flying it turns into the mobo glas? I guess why not, I rather poke a display then a keyboard with a bunch of letters. It's more immersed.

Isn't the Roccat power grid Like that? I know I've seen people designing interfaces for it.

I think this sort of thing will be much more interesting if they allow variable output e.g. damage states, shield levels, radar positions, etc. but the problem with doing that its automation (cheating) becomes a lot easier so its a tough call. You'll notice without that sort of feedback the sectors on his shield adjustment just act as buttons/key presses not touch based positioning.

I think this sort of thing will be much more interesting if they allow variable output e.g. damage states, shield levels, radar positions, etc. but the problem with doing that its automation (cheating) becomes a lot easier so its a tough call. You'll notice without that sort of feedback the sectors on his shield adjustment just act as buttons/key presses not touch based positioning.

You find people trying to cheat for anything and using anything. CIG will go through with it and they will take a stand if it becomes a problem. but being that this is a game built by pc gamers for pc gamers and funded by our collective hopes and dreams im sure it wont be too much of a problem. 

You find people trying to cheat for anything and using anything. CIG will go through with it and they will take a stand if it becomes a problem. but being that this is a game built by pc gamers for pc gamers and funded by our collective hopes and dreams im sure it wont be too much of a problem.

Being able to read variables directly would be really nice but I just don't see them doing it (with mods/private servers you should be able to but not on the PU). As much as I don't think they should allow access it would be nice if they did because at this point I intend to make my own controllers for SC (unless something much more fitting for space flight comes out before then) and that sort of feedback would allow me to do so much more but sadly its just the sort of thing that's far too easy to abuse. Normal hacks access that information through the memory but doing so allows the game to detect it much more easily and flag it as a hack.

IMO I don't think being given more information is what I would call cheating, we aren't given any clue on damage states atm and things are generalized to much.

For example, engines damaged, yep we know that but is it the port thrusters or the main engine, weapons overheating, due to what? Overuse or is the cooling damaged.

They need to announce damage states, damage critical and destroyed (coolant leaking would be awesome) as well on making it clear where the damage is but we are in alpha so hopefully things will get better.

IMO I don't think being given more information is what I would call cheating, we aren't given any clue on damage states atm and things are generalized to much.

For example, engines damaged, yep we know that but is it the port thrusters or the main engine, weapons overheating, due to what? Overuse or is the cooling damaged.

They need to announce damage states, damage critical and destroyed (coolant leaking would be awesome) as well on making it clear where the damage is but we are in alpha so hopefully things will get better.

What I mean is on a software level, having the variables that hold the values accessible by an outside program. The information wouldn't necessarily be used for cheating, for instance in the app in the OP you could have real-time feedback showing the shield levels and use that feedback for positional touch based shield level settings as apposed to the up/down, left/right input he currently has but on the flip side you could use that data to write a program to automatically balance your shields based on energy levels and more so with things like positional data that would allow you to have an off screen radar (e.g. in his app) while at the same time allowing cheaters an easier path to making an aim bot.

All that can be done by hooking into the memory and getting the data albeit its much harder to do and the game only has to detect unauthorised data access instead of scanning each third party app to see what its doing with the data, one good example was in BF3/4 there was a hack that pulled the jet speed from memory and used that to maintain a perfect 305 *somethings/something* keeping you at the ideal speed for manoeuvring.

snip

Yep I get you, its ok as long as they read the memory, as for the automated shield etc, hopefully some upgrades will do that for you, as I don't want to have micro manage things

Being able to read variables directly would be really nice but I just don't see them doing it (with mods/private servers you should be able to but not on the PU). As much as I don't think they should allow access it would be nice if they did because at this point I intend to make my own controllers for SC (unless something much more fitting for space flight comes out before then) and that sort of feedback would allow me to do so much more but sadly its just the sort of thing that's far too easy to abuse. Normal hacks access that information through the memory but doing so allows the game to detect it much more easily and flag it as a hack.

I really just want this to happen. I would love to have my shield tablet there propped beside my keyboard hardwired to the seat panels in my Consellation. the best part is everything could be labeled i wouldnt have to straight up remember every hot key.

I really just want this to happen. I would love to have my shield tablet there propped beside my keyboard hardwired to the seat panels in my Consellation. the best part is everything could be labeled i wouldnt have to straight up remember every hot key.

Totally agree, as long as its just key presses we will be able to do it as a 3rd party but I have a feeling it'll be limited because of what we have access too... until they release the 1st party app ;)

If they did that it would be nice. Seems good for adjusting shields and power management and stuff.

Cpu: FX8350 MoboGigabyte GA.990FXA-UD3  GPU: EVGA GTX770 2GB  RAM: 8GB Crucial ballistix tactical tracer  STORAGE: Crucial M500 240GB /seagate barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair RM750  CASE: Xigmatek Talon  COOLING: Corsair H100i KEYBOARD: Quickfire TK KEYPAD: Razer Nostromo MOUSE: Razer Naga 2012  HEADSET: Tritton pro+