Laptop CPU and MB overheating

JuztBe

Hello, my Acer 772G CPU temperature reaches around 95C and then downclocks itself for a moment to reduce heat. Motherboard reaches around 95C too.
Can motherboard be so hot because of CPU? If I change thermal paste and it fixes CPU temps, would it fix MB temps?
Changing thermal paste will void my warranty? Can I go to warranty service and say "change thermal paste for this laptop" ?
HlA1qJP.jpg

It's pretty cold in a room right now. It reaches 95C+ when room gets warmer. 

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

Put it in power saver mode, it should reduce the clock on the CPU and hence the heat it produces.

Apart from that, make sure no vents are blocked and that there's adequate airflow over the thing (maybe one of those "laptop air cooler" things would help

Compatible with Windows 95

Clean the cooling vents.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Clean the cooling vents.

I tried.

Take it apart and re-apply thermal paste

And "warranty void" part? It will or it will not void it? Thats the main reason I havent re-applied thermal paste yet.

And "warranty void" part? It will or it will not void it? Thats the main reason I havent re-applied thermal paste yet.

Usually there are no warranty stickers on laptops but that's the only way to fix your problem.

Usually there are no warranty stickers on laptops but that's the only way to fix your problem.

You will probably see one when unscrewing the laptop I did on my G580. 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

On the CPU's heatsink screws...

Afaik Acer does this

Not on all models but that's the only way of fixing it also does the fan spin up?

You could try it under warranty but it will take at least a moth usually.

Hello, my Acer 772G CPU temperature reaches around 95C and then downclocks itself for a moment to reduce heat. Motherboard reaches around 95C too.

Can motherboard be so hot because of CPU? If I change thermal paste and it fixes CPU temps, would it fix MB temps?

Changing thermal paste will void my warranty? Can I go to warranty service and say "change thermal paste for this laptop" ?

HlA1qJP.jpg

It's pretty cold in a room right now. It reaches 95C+ when room gets warmer. 

That other hot bit is probably your PCB aka Southbridge getting hot. You'll need to probably use a heatsink for that, or something like a makeshift heatsink (thermal pads pushing it below the keyboard, for example, etc), but luckily your TJMax is ~100 degrees or so. So 92 degrees, while toasty, is not exactly "dangerous".

CPU repasting can help, but Acer's cooling is shit. It's probably not going to ever get all that good. And you aren't even drawing a lot of power on that CPU either; I'm guessing you've only been using it on mostly light loads. My advice for cooling haswell? Use IC Diamond or Arctic Ceramique 2. AC2 performs about the same as ICD does for me and they're a lot better than MX-2 and MX-4 that everybody lives and swears by for this kind of setup. Good luck!

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

That other hot bit is probably your PCB aka Southbridge getting hot. You'll need to probably use a heatsink for that, or something like a makeshift heatsink (thermal pads pushing it below the keyboard, for example, etc), but luckily your TJMax is ~100 degrees or so. So 92 degrees, while toasty, is not exactly "dangerous".

CPU repasting can help, but Acer's cooling is shit. It's probably not going to ever get all that good. And you aren't even drawing a lot of power on that CPU either; I'm guessing you've only been using it on mostly light loads. My advice for cooling haswell? Use IC Diamond or Arctic Ceramique 2. AC2 performs about the same as ICD does for me and they're a lot better than MX-2 and MX-4 that everybody lives and swears by for this kind of setup. Good luck!

Southbridge is like another small chip?

I changed thermal paste(Nexus TMP-1000, only one I had). GPU went from 70C at load to 50C. But CPU still doesn't  give a crap with southbridge(i guess).

Southbridge is like another small chip?

I changed thermal paste(Nexus TMP-1000, only one I had). GPU went from 70C at load to 50C. But CPU still doesn't  give a crap with southbridge(i guess).

Yeah it's a tiny tiny chip on the mobo. You would have to hunt for it.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Yeah it's a tiny tiny chip on the mobo. You would have to hunt for it.

So getting a thermal pad and using it on southbridge only wont work. There still should be some kind of heat spreader? If i put piece of aluminum  or copper on pad it should work?

So getting a thermal pad and using it on southbridge only wont work. There still should be some kind of heat spreader? If i put piece of aluminum  or copper on pad it should work?

No, it needs to disperse the heat somewhere. On my clevo I can stack copper pads and use my keyboard as a heatsink. I don't know about your laptop.

Just have your fans spinning up at 100% all the time and it should be fine

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Just have your fans spinning up at 100% all the time and it should be fine

1 - Doesn't cool PCB

2 - No guarantee he has fan control

3 - Acer's cooling is shit

No, it needs to disperse the heat somewhere. On my clevo I can stack copper pads and use my keyboard as a heatsink. I don't know about your laptop.

It's most likely this one?

HrtxO5N.jpg

That actually looks like it, yes

Then it's facing down, not up(where keyboard is) :/

Well, good luck finding a way to make a mini heatsink for it

http://www.tme.eu/lt/details/thermopad-6x1/kitos-juostos/ag-termopasty/artagt-140/

If I stack thees till this aluminum(probably) plate.

2KHfrh7.jpg

Is it even worth a try?

http://www.tme.eu/lt/details/thermopad-6x1/kitos-juostos/ag-termopasty/artagt-140/

If I stack thees till this aluminum(probably) plate.

2KHfrh7.jpg

Is it even worth a try?

Bro, you're modding a laptop's cooling without cutting anything away. There's no harm in trying.

Bro, you're modding a laptop's cooling without cutting anything away. There's no harm in trying.

Well those pads costs a little bit, and I'll have to cut some plastic :P .

Thanks for help :)

Well those pads costs a little bit, and I'll have to cut some plastic :P .

Thanks for help :)

Next time, buy a Clevo/MSI/ASUS xD