Using old PSU cables with new PSU

Wrathfulram
Go to solution Solved by DavidHawk62,

More than likely not, I believe some of Corsair's power supplies are based on SeaSonic designs but you really don't have any guarantee the cables will work properly. If you really want to try you could look up the specific model numbers and see if anyone else has tried it but I'd stay on the safe side and avoid it if possible.

Hello, I like some of the cables from the Corsair 850w and I was wondering if I could use some with my seasonic 850w that will be in the new build? 

This is probably a stupid question but oh well :P

I don't think you should, I know i wouldn't. Sounds scary IMHO.

"Audiophilia... when you start to hear voices in your head."

More than likely not, I believe some of Corsair's power supplies are based on SeaSonic designs but you really don't have any guarantee the cables will work properly. If you really want to try you could look up the specific model numbers and see if anyone else has tried it but I'd stay on the safe side and avoid it if possible.

Thanks, I will be on the safe side and use the Seasonic cables

Check on wiki and see who manuafactures your specific PSU. It may be Seasonic or one of another few makers.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

There is no industry standard for the pin-out and connector used on the PSU side of things. It is the company that is selling you the product that decide what to used. For example, just because the AX760/860 and HX650v2 are Seasonic based, Corsair used their own standardized "Type-3" pin-out for all of their newest PSUs regardless of OEMs (CWT, Flextronics, Greatwall, Hipro, etc).

Because of this, simply looking for the OEM who made the PSU will not guaranteed it will work.

@Wrathfulram What specific Seasonic model you got btw?

Seasonic x-series 850watt and the Corsair ax850

I ended up using the seasonic cables.... I might of forgot to switch out the sata power cables but everything is working fine.