H220 pump death, help me understand

Go to solution Solved by airdeano,

My questions are:

Would the too much thermal paste lead to a dead pump? My understanding is "absolutely not" but I could be wrong.

What could have caused a bad pump? Caused is the question, not I just got a bad one.

I put on the stock 4790k cooler and I get high temps, what are the standard temps under load and idle for stock?

Suggest me a new AIO cooler please. I am feeling a H220x. There is no budget but it needs to fit in a Fractal Define R4 with the mobo. 

1. no
  2. defective designing on swiftech's part (too easy cavitation and run pump dry)
  3. stock HSF idle would be 5-15° above ambient
  4. H105 because it is simple. H220x is the same as H220 just with a patent work around.

CPU - 4790k

MOBO - Asus Maximus Hero VII

GPU - GTX 970

So I purchased a H220 about a year ago when I thought I would build a machine but ended up never getting around to it. Finally black Friday came and I built a pc and was able to use the H220. Temps were fine and I had long gaming sessions with games like Far Cry 3/4 and Borderlands 2. Last night I was playing BL2 and my game started to lag. I have a GTX 970 so it shouldn't be graphical lag so I just decided to check temps using CIUD, or whatever its called. It showed that all 4 of my cores were running at 100 Celsius. That is not good. So I shut her down. The reboot said cpu fan failure so I opened up the case and the pump was hot. I heard no noise coming from it and it was not vibrating, so first thought is dead pump. When I took off the pump, I noticed that I probably put a little too much thermal paste when I installed it and some was on the side of the die and a little was on the seating mechanism. 

TL:DR

pc lag in game, high cpu temps, pump died on cpu, replaced with stock, might have had too much thermal paste.

My questions are:

Would the too much thermal paste lead to a dead pump? My understanding is "absolutely not" but I could be wrong.

What could have caused a bad pump? Caused is the question, not I just got a bad one.

I put on the stock 4790k cooler and I get high temps, what are the standard temps under load and idle for stock?

Suggest me a new AIO cooler please. I am feeling a H220x. There is no budget but it needs to fit in a Fractal Define R4 with the mobo. 

My questions are:

1. no
  2. defective designing on swiftech's part (too easy cavitation and run pump dry)
  4. H105 because it is simple. H220x is the same as H220 just with a patent work around.

1. no

Hey so I get water swirling sounds with my h320, I already assumed this is air bubbles in the rad getting sucked into loop by too strong of pump with poorly filled loop. I've been meaning to unmount the rad and maybe see if I can find a work around as I don't have the money for swiftechs proprietary fluid to add more or for a res and tubing to fix the problem all together. Am I just fucked until I can afford to do either of those things?

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Hey so I get water swirling sounds with my h320, I already assumed this is air bubbles in the rad getting sucked into loop by too strong of pump with poorly filled loop. I've been meaning to unmount the rad and maybe see if I can find a work around as I don't have the money for swiftechs proprietary fluid to add more or for a res and tubing to fix the problem all together. Am I just fucked until I can afford to do either of those things?

just add distilled water and you'll be fine.

another thing to do is make the hose end of the radiator lower than the non-hose

end. this will allow the coolant to keep the air isolated from the intake of the pump.

The H220 is just a bad cooler with a pump that fails way too much.

Its 100% dead, 100% not your fault, and you should replace it with something that is 100% not swiftec. ;)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

just add distilled water and you'll be fine.

another thing to do is make the hose end of the radiator lower than the non-hose

end. this will allow the coolant to keep the air isolated from the intake of the pump.

Thanks, didn't know if adding a bit of distilled water might interact with the fluid already in there in a weird way. And totally did not think of putting some spacers on the tube end of rad, thanks.

If I decide to can I use any water cooling liquid with the standard anti corrosion and microbial chemicals in it or am I stuck using swiftechs fluid for their AIO's?

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

1. no

The H220 is just a bad cooler with a pump that fails way too much.

Its 100% dead, 100% not your fault, and you should replace it with something that is 100% not swiftec. ;)

Thanks so much guys, you are both super helpful! I do not feel so bad anymore, off to get a h105. 

Thanks so much guys, you are both super helpful! I do not feel so bad anymore, off to get a h105. 

Good choice :)

have a nice day

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I know this has been answered and stuff but thanks again for the h105 suggestion. That thing is an amazing cooler with the easiest heatsink installation I have ever seen. +1 just for that.
As for anyone else who ran by this post I will give you some tips. The h105 has a fat radiator however I WAS able to fit it in my R4 with a asus maximums hero vii and trident x ram. It is not the prettiest fit in the world, but I was able to cram it in there with the fans in a pull direction.