What's the name of the front IO Connector pins?

gergy008

So I have a friend here that is trying to convert a PowerMac G5 case into a case that supports an ATX motherboard. So far he's stripped it down and is woking on getting the new motherboard backplate in place.

I'm going to show him how to convert the current apple-proprietary front IO header into separate ATX compatible headers, but I'm not sure that the parts required are called so that they can be ordered.

What are the little plastic things called here, and where could these plastic pins, metal insert and the crimping tool be ordered (Friend lives in TX, USA) (The single header pins should be fine):

ApeviaXPleasure_FrontPanelIO.jpg

Cheers so much for your help!
- Gergy

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

Edit: NVM

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

I think TE Connectivity's AmpModu IV housings and pins work, they should be available at places like RS-Components, Element14, DigiKey and Mouser.

I think TE Connectivity's AmpMoudu IV housings and pins work, they should be available at places like RS-Components, Element14, DigiKey and Mouser.

So I have a friend here that is trying to convert a PowerMac G5 case into a case that supports an ATX motherboard. So far he's stripped it down and is woking on getting the new motherboard backplate in place.

I'm going to show him how to convert the current apple-proprietary front IO header into separate ATX compatible headers, but I'm not sure that the parts required are called so that they can be ordered.

What are the little plastic things called here, and where could these plastic pins, metal insert and the crimping tool be ordered (Friend lives in TX, USA) (The single header pins should be fine):

ApeviaXPleasure_FrontPanelIO.jpg

Cheers so much for your help!

- Gergy

The connector pitch is .1" so Grrizz is right, the AmpModu IV connectors and contacts work...just be careful ordering the contacts, there are quite a few options. My personal favorite is Mouser.

Oh!
I was researching this for a mod today.
This might help a little...

You might find a similar product on Arduino sites. The product will probably be called a jumper cable.

The plastic parts are called headers.
I also found a few sites dedicated to selling stuff like this. They are difficult to interpret, but I'm sure if you dig long enough, you will find what you need.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A6SOGC4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=QXM1Y3AG75AX&coliid=IEK1B50QGFFQU?
You could splice in the middle of these cables and use heatshrink over your splice. That would eliminate the need to find the bits to crimp the cable and insert it into the header.

Because it's only a 1 pin header, it would be very easy to sleeve too!

Here's a set of 2 pin cables.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O9YC8TY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=QXM1Y3AG75AX&coliid=I2VW18YTLS0IOM

Hope it helps!

-Matt

Another name for them is "Dupont Header"

Dupont invented a crapload of stuff...

As Scheer said they are Dupont connectors, and it would be easier if to get extensions than crimp and re-pin the originals especially if your friend doesn't have a crimper handy, with extra fine crimps.

More standard extensions:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17760/cab-1057/Phobya_Front_Panel_Extension_Cable_Kit_-_300mm_87487.html?tl=g2c36s269#blank

More modular if the pins are not beside each other:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/21689/wir-110/254mm_Pitch_Dupont_40-Pin_Rainbow_Flat_Ribbon_Cable_Wire.html#blank

Cheers everyone! This helped a lot :-)

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

I don't think the pins are included with that, and the picture with pins is just an example.

EDIT: Nvm, I think I'm wrong and the pins ARE included... Still would be worth shooting them an email to verify if you end up going with it.