fx 8350 + r9 290 psu requirements.

Jengo
Go to solution Solved by Dabombinable,

For what your trying to run I'd recommend a 650W PSU as the minimum, with higher powered ones giving you the chance of hitting the efficiency sweet spot. Now as for an actual model, I find the Corsair VS650 to be a solid PSU. I have been running mine for months now with various rigs and have had no issues from it. Even though people will say its 'cheap' (around the $80-90 mark) and 'crap', I'm finding it to be very good and actually silent. So far its been able to run at the same time, without failing, this rig: i5 4440, gtx 970, gtx 650 ti (molex connector), ssd, 2x 2.5" hdd, 3.5" hdd, wifi card, front panel fan controller, pcie usb3.0 card.

Edit: the website with specs  http://www.corsair.com/en-au/vs-seriestm-vs650-650-watt-power-supply  

Hello.

I currently have a cx500 in my system.
I am looking to upgrade my CPU and GPU to a fx8350 and a r9 290.
I know 500 watts is at the low end, but I would like to know if it is doable?
other than that, my system has:

1 HDD

5 fans (2 x jetflow 120 + 3 x corsair af 120 quiet edition.)

And a NZXT fan controller.

If i need to get a better PSU then what PSU would you recommend for this retailer: www.komplett.dk

Thank you :)

don't upgrade to a 8350... if you're going to upgrade go intel.

It's possible if you don't overclock.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

don't upgrade to a 8350... if you're going to upgrade go intel.

It's possible if you don't overclock.

Please don´t start an intel vs amd war. The fx 8350 can handle the loads I will be putting on it, and I also don´t want to have to change my motherboard.

Please don´t start an intel vs amd war. The fx 8350 can handle the loads I will be putting on it, and I also don´t want to have to change my motherboard.

I'm not starting a Intel vs AMD. I'm trying to give advice! Intel motherboards aren't costly at all even more cost friendly if you go locked and h97.

Just giving advice that I've given soo many other people.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

If you have a 990 or 990fx motherboard go ahead and get that 8350 but I would say a decent 650w psu should be fine.

I'm not starting a Intel vs AMD. I'm trying to give advice! Intel motherboards aren't costly at all even more cost friendly if you go locked and h97.

But adding a motherboard ontop of a CPU that provides comparative performance to the 8350 is going to cost him massively. Asides from single core performance, there isn't really any gain by going intel in this situation, infact, it would be a backstep xD

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

That is fair enough, and thank you. Yet I have looked at the benchmarks and if I compare 2 cpus in the same price range (fx 8350 and i5 4690k) the i5 will outperform the amd chip. however, when I include the fact that I need a new motherboard, (I looked at the msi z97 g5) things start to get rather expensive, and I honestly can live without those 2-5fps. And overclocking is always an option :)

If you have a 990 or 990fx motherboard go ahead and get that 8350 but I would say a decent 650w psu should be fine.

Any advice on PSU brands?

I looked at the cx 750 from corsair, but I have heard a lot of bad things about this PSU.

Any advice on PSU brands?

I looked at the cx 750 from corsair, but I have heard a lot of bad things about this PSU.

Cx series are pretty bad get an xfx,seasonic, Be quiet EVGA has some decent cheap psu's.

Hes giving you sound advice... its not fanboy-ism.

Theres really no point in upgrading to an 8350 at this point if youre getting a high end gaming GPU. It might even be a bit underpowered for a R9 290 depending on the game.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Cx series are pretty bad get an xfx,seasonic, Be quiet EVGA has some decent cheap psu's.

Okay thank you. The retailer I am using has a limited selection: www.komplett.dk

But I am pretty sure they have xfx PSU´s.

First of all Pairing the 8350 and the r9 290 is okay! if their is a bottleneck it's not noticeable (I've had experience with the same config) as for the Psu 620 watt should be okay But just encase I'd get a 750 watt  

CPU: I5 7400 | Motherboard: MSI H110M  | RAM: 16GB G-Skill 2400mhz  | GPU:  NVIDIA  MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970 | Case: Tecware Quad | Cooling: Stock| Storage: Kingston 120gb SSD, 1TB Drive ,  | PSU: Seasonic 620 Watt 80+ Bronze Full Modular | Display: Devant 50 Inch Smart TV   | 

That is fair enough, and thank you. Yet I have looked at the benchmarks and if I compare 2 cpus in the same price range (fx 8350 and i5 4690k) the i5 will outperform the amd chip. however, when I include the fact that I need a new motherboard, (I looked at the msi z97 g5) things start to get rather expensive,

and I honestly can live without those 2-5fps.

And overclocking is always an option 

So don't get an expensive board

It's not 2-5 fps, specially not on a 290 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/page-4#entry3620861

Not on a Asus m5a97 r2.0 and a freezer13 (4+2 board, youll be lucky if it works on stockspeeds).

Take the advice for what it is, and don't label your cognitive dissonance as their fanboyism. It's been said 1000times on this forum already, AMD FX series are old and slow.

Hes giving you sound advice... its not fanboy-ism

Yes I realize this, but if one looks at price to performance at this price point, then a cpu+motherboard, makes no sense compared to just getting a cpu. I am sorry if it came out wrong, I did not mean to offend anyone.

It's not 2-5 fps, specially not on a 290 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/page-4#entry3620861

Not on a Asus m5a97 r2.0 and a freezer13 (4+2 board, youll be lucky if it works on stockspeeds).

Take the advice for what it is, and don't label your cognitive dissonance as their fanboyism. It's been said 1000times on this forum already, AMD FX series are old and slow.

I have nothing against intel, and yes I know intel will outperform the fx series.

In that case I need some help, I am not that into the intel side of things.

I have a budget of 4000kr in this shop : www.komplett.dk

I need to get an upgrade in gpu, in my case the r9 290.

I also need a psu: xfx 650w

That leaves 1300kr for a cpu, and the fx 8350 fits like a glove.

If you could show me a cpu+motherboard combo that will outperform the fx 8350 I would be more than happy to listen.

Now I know that is half impossible, so I will raise my budget to 2000kr for CPU+Motherboard.

Why not the m5a97 r2.0 and freezer 13

I admit the motherboard I have is a bit in the low end, but I have been told, and seen tests that show it should be fine.

and the freezer 13 is keeping my fx 4300 @ 4.5Ghz under 50C

Thank you :)

Hes giving you sound advice... its not fanboy-ism.

Theres really no point in upgrading to an 8350 at this point if youre getting a high end gaming GPU. It might even be a bit underpowered for a R9 290 depending on the game.

It won't be, just like a 4690k doesn't get bottlenecked by GTX 980's in sli then 8350 wouldn't. 

If he already has the board and likes the platform may as well upgrade to an 8350. 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

Also, I did not realize the performance drop was that, bad, but then again, I have seen benchmarks showing everything from the fx 8350 outperforming the i5 to the fx 8350 be half as good, so I must admit to being a bit confused. However there where only 3 games on that list that I play: Far cry 3/4 and Metro LL.

Also, I did not realize the performance drop was that, bad, but then again, I have seen benchmarks showing everything from the fx 8350 outperforming the i5 to the fx 8350 be half as good, so I must admit to being a bit confused. However there where only 3 games on that list that I play: Far cry 3/4 and Metro LL.

Tbh most games on that bench mark are single threaed or they are poorly optimized. Also i wouldn't pay much attention to it as multithreaed games like BF4 wouldn't have such a big difference... 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

@Jengo just ignore the AMD Intel thing going on.

I have an 8350 and a r9 270 and I keep getting crashes which gets worse the more stuff I add

I'm running a CX500M so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm hitting my power limit although I'm ment to have an extra 100w to play with.

I'm looking at using an evga 750w PSU now, my corsair CXM also has an issue with one of the cables anyway so personally I would stare clear away from them.

For what your trying to run I'd recommend a 650W PSU as the minimum, with higher powered ones giving you the chance of hitting the efficiency sweet spot. Now as for an actual model, I find the Corsair VS650 to be a solid PSU. I have been running mine for months now with various rigs and have had no issues from it. Even though people will say its 'cheap' (around the $80-90 mark) and 'crap', I'm finding it to be very good and actually silent. So far its been able to run at the same time, without failing, this rig: i5 4440, gtx 970, gtx 650 ti (molex connector), ssd, 2x 2.5" hdd, 3.5" hdd, wifi card, front panel fan controller, pcie usb3.0 card.

Edit: the website with specs  http://www.corsair.com/en-au/vs-seriestm-vs650-650-watt-power-supply  

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Why not the m5a97 r2.0 and freezer 13

I admit the motherboard I have is a bit in the low end, but I have been told, and seen tests that show it should be fine.

and the freezer 13 is keeping my fx 4300 @ 4.5Ghz under 50C

The 8350 is a whole different animal in both thermals and power consumption. You cannot overclock the 8350 on that board + cooler to any significant degree, period. 9370 and 9590 are not supported, which is a big sign to not even bother.

Yes, that's because most benchmarks are poorly done. If i run a benchmark on a 7870 and crank the settings to ultra, i get a 30fps result across the board, regardless of CPU. That's what Logan did in his TekSyndicate "8350 vs. 3770K vs 3820K" video. However, if you combine the CPU's with a beefy card like the 290/970 or 980, you get the results I showed you above. Want more AAA titles?

http://gamegpu.ru/test-video-cards/igry-2014-goda-protiv-protsessorov-test-gpu.html

8350 gets it's ass handed to him by the dualcore i3. Just don't invest into an FX CPU again... sell the board and get an i5. I wouldn't say this if you were upgrading to a 270 or something. But a 290 needs an i5 to properly saturate.

Tbh most games on that bench mark are single threaed or they are poorly optimized. Also i wouldn't pay much attention to it as multithreaed games like BF4 wouldn't have such a big difference...

Says the guy who invested in a FX 9series. I think we can safely assume you aren't being objective. You can rehease the same line that all games are poorly optimized, but they're a given factor. Look at the link above... you want to limit yourself in performance in all those AAA games? Or just admit the FX8/9 series are not really worth their money.

Whoooo where did this horseshit come from? CX series is pretty damn good

Whoooo where did this horseshit come from? CX series is pretty damn good

It's not well-built, that's for sure. It's average, run-of-the-mill. Corners were certainly cut on the caps. The fan also is only a sleeve-bearing, so it will start to make noise pretty soon.

It's not well-built, that's for sure. It's average, run-of-the-mill. Corners were certainly cut on the caps. The fan also is only a sleeve-bearing, so it will start to make noise pretty soon.

Never had problems honestly, and built plenty with them.

Never had problems honestly, and built plenty with them.

So? Because didn't explode upon arrival it's "really good"? Like I said, it's an average unit. But the sleeve-bearing fan and undersized caps (low hold-up time) would make me turn away from this unit.