CPU cores VS # of CPUs

Decon

Hypothetical question:

Two video-editors have systems A and B.  System A has a single 8 core CPU.  System B has 2 Quad-core CPUs.  Both systems use processors from the same architecture and neither configuration has hyper-threading enabled.  The hypothetical owners of these systems both use the same program and that program has both multi-CPU and multi-core support up to infinite CPUs and CPU cores.  Which configuration will perform better? 

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

I would say the dual Quad-Cores because they'd each have their own memory channels and stuffs. There would also be better cache (fewer cores per cache) but then they'd have to communicate to share between the 2 physical CPUs.

Sig under construction.

Dual cpus would be better if optimization was perfect due to doubling of everything but cores.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Whichever has more powerful cores. You can have a lot, but [generally speaking] a CPU with less but stronger cores will beat a CPU with more but slower cores.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

I think if they are clocked the same, with the same ram, and all else equal than they would be the same.

A dual chip system would be slightly slower accounting for latency between the two I think.

Whichever has more powerful cores. You can have a lot, but [generally speaking] a CPU with less but stronger cores will beat a CPU with more but slower cores.

Both systems use processors from the same architecture and neither configuration has hyper-threading enabled.

Same core architecture.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Same core architecture.

Then the single chip, as the latency caused by the mobo may slow it down a tid.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Thanks guys, I suspected that the single-chip would probably do better.  One of my friends asked me; I told him that the single-chip would do better, he said that was stupid and that dual cpus would always be better therefore this thread :P

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

Most probably would be no visual difference. The only reason i have 2x xeons is cheap cores. I need a lot or rams and cpus to render. I'll upgrade to 2x6 cpus soon. 12 cores will cost me about £100....

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

A dual chip system would be slightly slower accounting for latency between the two I think.

The slightly higher latency should be overshadowed by more resources when it comes to resulting performance.

Thanks guys, I suspected that the single-chip would probably do better.  One of my friends asked me; I told him that the single-chip would do better, he said that was stupid and that dual cpus would always be better therefore this thread :P

In the real world, a single cpu is usually better due to lack of optimization. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Dual CPU's in a perfect world where everything you described is true due to higher amounts of cache per core and higher memory bandwidth. But in the real world optimization isn't that good. :)