New display cable created makes 8K Resolution @ 120Hz possible

BiG StroOnZ

Well, I would like higher bit color before 8k 120hz (60hz is a must though), but I guess they could use the bandwith that way if they want, I like it. Now but it on the RX 300 series AMD (not likely at all)!

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Hang on guys. To get 8K 120Hz it uses 6 lanes.

That means you'll have tearing 6 times (6 separation you'll see) on your screen on fast motion, much like the early 4K monitors that were using 2 Display Port lanes (MST).

So in other words it's a stupid hack. At the end of the day it can only do what DisplayPort does, and that is 4K 60Hz.

And, as mentioned, it's only 4:2:0.

many may not, but an "enthusiast" would - and who do you think wants 8k 120hz? yep... enthusiasts.

I tested this with my 4k 60hz screen, toggled from 4:4:4 to 4:2:0 and the difference is intense

See the below image for the loss in fidelity when using sub 4:4:4 Chroma sub-sampling

barf... I'm colorblind and have bad eyes and can tell the difference both in color and in granularity.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Well, that cable should last us a few years.

No it won't, it sucks. It uses cheap tricks to achieve that fancy results. We want single stream. That is the way forward.

OR some kind of fancy synchronization system between streams AND the GPU AND the monitor, which is possible, but costly.

No it won't, it sucks. It uses cheap tricks to achieve that fancy results. We want single stream. That is the way forward.

OR some kind of fancy synchronization system between streams AND the GPU AND the monitor, which is possible, but costly.

You're thinking the way Intel did back with netburst. You can only make a single core/cable do so much. Parallel is the way forward until we get quantum leaps in technology. And, if the hardware on both sides is good, we'll never see a tear.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

many may not, but an "enthusiast" would - and who do you think wants 8k 120hz? yep... enthusiasts.

I tested this with my 4k 60hz screen, toggled from 4:4:4 to 4:2:0 and the difference is intense

See the below image for the loss in fidelity when using sub 4:4:4 Chroma sub-sampling

Colorcomp.jpg

this is a still. try this on a video and tell me you see any difference

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

this is a still. try this on a video and tell me you see any difference

Can humans see faster than 60Hz or not?

You're thinking the way Intel did back with netburst. You can only make a single core/cable do so much. Parallel is the way forward until we get quantum leaps in technology. And, if the hardware on both sides is good, we'll never see a tear.

Yes.. and that is why NO ONE wants to buy those multi-stream 4K monitors, as any motion you see the split. Like i said you need synchronization system, and that doesn't exists, as it's costly, and needs to be implemented on the video controller GPU, and probably the monitor as well. This doesn't have this.

You'll see massive 6 tearing line. It's junk.

Even GPUs and multi-core CPUs have synchronization systems.

So your choice is:

Better/faster single stream

OR

Implement synchronization system, which this thing doesn't.

I have never heard of MHL. So this is super news to me.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

i cant tell you that because i am not an expert on brain eye communication, but based on a quick google, the eye can see more than that, and some people can percieve it

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Yes.. and that is why NO ONE wants to buy those multi-stream 4K monitors, as any motion you see the split. Like i said you need synchronization system, and that doesn't exists, as it's costly, and needs to be implemented on the video controller GPU, and probably the monitor as well. This doesn't have this.

You'll see massive 6 tearing line. It's junk.

Even GPUs and multi-core CPUs have synchronization systems.

So your choice is:

Better/faster single stream

OR

Implement synchronization system, which this thing doesn't.

It's easy to implement. A University Student computer engineer can do this! It's called a hardware-level semaphore or a spin-lock. It's easy as Hell to do! Also, you don't need synchronization at all. The monitor holds data in RAM. Just have 4 RAM channels and have the monitor stream from each one sequentially.

could anyone actually explain what the 4:2:0 means... i have no idea 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

could anyone actually explain what the 4:2:0 means... i have no idea 

its the subchroma sampling method :) google it, images help :)

attachicon.gifColorcomp.jpg

Those look extremely exaggerated:

4:2:0:

aMKa0AX.jpg

4:4:4:

bvF2MpO.jpg

And you didn't test that you got them from www.extremetech.com which got it from Wikipedia or you just went straight to Wikipedia and snagged them.

i cant tell you that because i am not an expert on brain eye communication, but based on a quick google, the eye can see more than that, and some people can percieve it

Do they possess the Sharingan?  /narutard

I thought they actually proved that a lot of people can see (way) beyond 60hz a while ago?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

you know what? here is an experiment that you should try

Ask a friend to stand next to the light switch

Stand in front of the white wall, light source behind you.

ask your friend to switch the lights slowly to 60 to 120 to 144 times per second.

each time you see a light shout loud, so you can use voice recording for accurate results

in 5-10 minutes the neighbors should call the cops on you and you will end up in a mental hospital!

... my technique might need some refinement but it is a good start

The 4:4:4 hype train entered some brains.

At least on stills you can see the difference rather easily. For slow frame rates it's going to be obvious. 

At least on stills you can see the difference rather easily.

In some particular cases and cropped images.

Balls to the wall.

i never get tired of seeing ur profile pic, i die laughing every time   :D

No, in a lot of cases. If the frame rate is low enough, I'm pretty sure I could notice rather easily.

Not just in particular cases, and cropped images. But they have to zoom in all the way to the edges, or use some sort of image filtering, or use special images which makes it look apparent. 

No, in a lot of cases. If the frame rate is low enough, I'm pretty sure I could notice rather easily.

Even the real color resolution of the red and blue channel of most cameras is only a quarter of its luma resolution.

It's easy to implement. A University Student computer engineer can do this! It's called a hardware-level semaphore or a spin-lock. It's easy as Hell to do! Also, you don't need synchronization at all. The monitor holds data in RAM. Just have 4 RAM channels and have the monitor stream from each one sequentially.

Great. Now Explain that to Nvidia and AMD, they seam to think it requires some fancy separate circuit board, and cost over 100$, and only works with some select expensive cards

fig07.jpg

And that is why when you have multiple screen setup on the same card, they are not in sync either. A problem with multiple screen gaming.

But I guess all Nvidia and AMD both needed is a university student in engineering.

And of course, this cable doesn't have any sync system, so what is the point! Its junk regardless

Actually when I switch from satellite TV to cable, I saw a large visual difference, and that was on my old CRT TV (able to do 720p, it was the good last CRT TVs).

At the time, I had no idea on the compression method. And sure enough, the reason why the cable providing providing 4:4:4, and the other not.

Satellite looks like this strange JPEG compression applied to the video content provided. At least the provider where I live.