Low fps with crossfire msi r9 270x

Jarebear724

at first I thought the bottleneck in my system was my cpu, I can run farcry4 with one card at 50-70fps on medium but with both cards enabled i get 25ish. 
crossfire r9 270x-gpu
fx 9590-cpu
kingson 120Gb ssd
8Gb corsair vengeance blue 1600 ram
M5a97 r2.0 Motherboard
1Tb western digital blue

first of all, WHY FX 9590 THAT IS A HORRIBLE CPU

second of all, the gpu scaling is pretty bad for sli/xfire and for a new game like far cry 4, wait a few updates and hope for the best that they improve multi gpu support.

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

It isn't overheating at all, and it starts  at low fps it doesn't have time to overheat, and the same problem is on battlefield 4 as well

first of all, WHY FX 9590 THAT IS A HORRIBLE CPU

second of all, the gpu scaling is pretty bad for sli/xfire and for a new game like far cry 4, wait a few updates and hope for the best that they improve multi gpu support.

The 9590 is pretty much a Very amped 8350, It just has a very high heat output.

The scaling for just 2 GPU's are close to 100% Probably between 90 and 98%. Even one card should handle better than 25fps.

Id say Farcry 4 is just badly optimized, Ubisoft have not had the best time lately.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

I am going to test battlefield 4 because I was having the issue on this game first

at first I thought the bottleneck in my system was my cpu, I can run farcry4 with one card at 50-70fps on medium but with both cards enabled i get 25ish. 

crossfire r9 270x-gpu

fx 9590-cpu

kingson 120Gb ssd

8Gb corsair vengeance blue 1600 ram

M5a97 r2.0 Motherboard

1Tb western digital blue

Far Cry 4 does not have official CF support right now because of negative scaling issues.

I have a pair of 270X's as well with an FX 8370 if you want to compare numbers.

btw what do you have for a power supply?

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

I have a 1000 watt gold psu by corsair, and sure we can compare numbers

I have a 1000 watt gold psu by corsair, and sure we can compare numbers

Alright, any particular games you want to test?  I have damn near anything you can think of.

I'll start with BF4 w/Ultra preset and update this post in a little bit.

EDIT:

Battlefield 4

1920x1080, Ultra Detail

8370 @ 4.8 GHz

16 GB DDR3 1600 RAM

Both cards at 1120/1400 stock clock speeds.

Max FPS: 120 (I have a cap, could maybe go higher.)

Min FPS: 68

Average FPS: 88

yeah battlefield 4 and far cry 3 i guess, i got about 50 fps on ultra on campaign bf4 but the video studdered during the clip before i could play.
I played a bit of far cry 3 and got around 60-80 fps except in the compound which was around 40-45

I tested out Far Cry 3 with Ultra preset, 4x MSAA and HDAO (vsync disabled.)

Just did some driving and shooting around.  Results are going to vary a lot here.

Max 100 FPS

Min 61 FPS

Avg 72 FPS

Would you be able to run a synthetic benchmark, such as 3DMark Firestrike or 3DMark11?  

I'm thinking the most likely cause is a driver issue.  Have you tried doing a clean install of the omega drivers?

whoah wait, how did you get crossfire to work in far cry 4? its disabled I thought. I let my bro burrow my 7950 because far cry 4 wouldnt use that and my 7970. if you explain how id happily test with my 7970+7950.

whoah wait, how did you get crossfire to work in far cry 4? its disabled I thought. I let my bro burrow my 7950 because far cry 4 wouldnt use that and my 7970. if you explain how id happily test with my 7970+7950.

I believe you can still override it in CCC to use AFR, or even FC3's profile.

It has serious negative scaling though.  Need a new driver for it to work properly. 

I believe you can still override it in CCC to use AFR, or even FC3's profile.

It has serious negative scaling though.  Need a new driver for it to work properly. 

AFR? sorry only used crossfire since christmas, and havent for the past week lol. 

AFR? sorry only used crossfire since christmas, and havent for the past week lol. 

Alternate Frame Rendering.

When you add an .exe file to the Catalyst Control center you can choose which crossfire mode it runs in. (Default, Alternate Frame Rendering, Optimize 1x1 (Another form of AFR) or selecting a profile for another .exe such as another game.)  

For a lot of new games default profiles often aren't available and sometimes running another game's profile or AFR will make CF work.  For example the Crysis3.exe profile worked great with Shadow of Mordor before the official support was implemented.

Alternate Frame Rendering.

When you add an .exe file to the Catalyst Control center you can choose which crossfire mode it runs in. (Default, Alternate Frame Rendering, Optimize 1x1 (Another form of AFR) or selecting a profile for another .exe such as another game.)  

For a lot of new games default profiles often aren't available and sometimes running another game's profile or AFR will make CF work.  For example the Crysis3.exe profile worked great with Shadow of Mordor before the official support was implemented.

wow. all i did to set up crossfire was click the box that said enable crossfire. guess i should look into it more