Intel HD 5500 60% IPC Gains, Beats Tegra X1 in 3D

http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=15527&graphics=Intel%20HD%20Graphics%205500%20Mobile&title=Intel%20HD%20Graphics%205500%20Benchmarks%20Leak%20From%20i7%205500U%20Broadwell-U%20Processor

With a near 30% improvement (3DMark Vantage( Performance not Entry)) over HD 4400, HD 5500 gives a strong showing on one of the weaker chips in the Broadwell U-Series line up carrying the iGPU.

Bear in mind this is the same stream processor count as HD 5300 in Core M (24*8=192) , but with a 300MHz base clock (vs. 100), a 100-150MHz higher boost clock, and the ability to sustain boost for longer periods. This is also a higher end laptop which likely has a sound cooling system compared to the Core M rollouts seen so far from Lenovo and Asus.

HD 5500 scores 5124

HD 4400 scores 3800 according to the article.

HD 5300 scores 2538 according to notebookcheck (Looking for more results to cross-reference)

Desktop A10 7850K Kaveri (512 SPs) tops out at 7128

Mind you these HD5500 scores are still on slow laptop memory (channel count not provided, but I'd assume it's dual-channel), and HD 6000+ will top out at 1200MHz with double the stream processor count. Furthermore, remember these scores are also without the Crystalwell L4 cache.

Now onto my opinion: People keep saying Intel will never compete in iGPU, and I keep having to say it's dumb to count Intel out. It's not fanboyism. It's just acknowledgment of history and Intel's engineers.

I'm waiting to see the OpenCL benchmarks come out. Also, I eagerly await Skylake's Iris Pro 7200 with 72EUs (576 stream processors or more). It's going to make for a great DX 12, OpenGL 5, OpenCL 2.1 dev platform.

For some real-life gaming comparisons.

Update

http://wccftech.com/broadwellu-intel-hd-5500-igpu-performance-numbers-revealed/

I should have done this math myself when the news came out, but several firms have run the numbers, and it turns out the Intel HD graphics architecture has seen an overall 60% increase in IPC in Gen8 when we look at relative clock rates and performance of the Gen7.5 graphics architecture seen in Haswell.

Update 2: Linus at CES confirmed that Hd 5500 chips beat out the Tegra X1 in 3DMark Ice Storm. Further investigation and other posts around the web are showing HD 5500 did a clean sweep across 3D Mark against 33% more stream processors on the Maxwell-based chip.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Awesome. I'm excited to see the rest of the Intel iGPU lineup!

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Don't forget that some s1115 mobos are capable of overclocking an intel GPU to over 1GHz (Asus H87M-Pro is an example), so its probably not that big a difference in all reality.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Don't forget that some s1115 mobos are capable of overclocking an intel GPU to over 1GHz (Asus H87M-Pro is an example), so its probably not that big a difference in all reality.

I think the testers were aware of this and made sure to account for it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

So what? Their built in GPU's are useless for gaming. Artifacting due to poor drivers, makes Intel pointless for what actually needs the extra performance.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

So what? Their built in GPU's are useless for gaming. Artifacting due to poor drivers, makes Intel pointless for what actually needs the extra performance.

Their drivers are improving steadily in addition to more dedicated hardware. Let's wait and see some reviews shall we? Let's also not forget Intel is pushing iGPU compute far more than 3D performance. Still, to get this close to Kaveri with less than 40% the SP count is impressive.

Their drivers are improving steadily in addition to more dedicated hardware. Let's wait and see some reviews shall we? Let's also not forget Intel is pushing iGPU compute far more than 3D performance. Still, to get this close to Kaveri with less than 40% the SP count is impressive.

Either way, intel iGPU have come a long way since 2008. Their G33 chipset struggles to do anything other than web browsing at 1080p, and Haswell is capable of driving 4K displays out of the box......

PMSL

Either way, intel iGPU have come a long way since 2008. Their G33 chipset struggles to do anything other than web browsing at 1080p, and Haswell is capable of driving 4K displays out of the box......

IBM and Broadcom were shoved clean out of the server world. Now Nvidia will have to let go of its lowest end cards or improve them drastically.

Dude my OBS settings can be shot up and record 4k/60fps with this chip.

Dude my OBS settings can be shot up and record 4k/60fps with this chip.

It's not a full H265 encoder/decoder. It's a hybrid of dedicated hardware and general purpose GPU acceleration. Be aware of that. I think Skylake will be the first Intel architecture with a fully dedicated encoder/decoder.

It's not a full H265 encoder/decoder. It's a hybrid of dedicated hardware and general purpose GPU acceleration. Be aware of that. I think Skylake will be the first Intel architecture with a fully dedicated encoder/decoder.

I run HD2000 to record 1080p/60fps at 90k bitrate, I think that 5500 can do 4k/60fps easy.

I run HD2000 to record 1080p/60fps at 90k bitrate, I think that 5500 can do 4k/60fps easy.

Perhaps with a mild overclock, but I'm not going to guarantee it.

If you get one, and it performs like you expect let us know.  But do not forget the actual performance boost of the next iGPU lineup from Intel, I highly doubt they've improved enough to do much more than broadwell does at 4K.

PMSL

If you get one, and it performs like you expect let us know.  But do not forget the actual performance boost of the next iGPU lineup from Intel, I highly doubt they've improved enough to do much more than broadwell does at 4K.

Remember the Core M rollout was ruined by terrible platform designs, not the chips themselves. We haven't seen what Broadwell can do yet, and Skylake gets the next generation of graphics microarchitecture. With a full H265 encoder and decoder it will be more than adequate for 4K 60fps video streaming/watching. Since Skylake will surpass Kaveri's stream processor count too, I think we'll see a strong gaming solution as well.

I'll get one eventually and show you my results.

Perhaps with a mild overclock, but I'm not going to guarantee it.

Nah :P

Nah :P

Hehe, either way, I think we are beyond the point people can still reasonably call Intel's graphics architecture crap. Nvidia didn't pull its cross-licensing agreements and run with its tail tucked for no good reason. The only potential obstacle is the ATI IP which might even affect ARM and Nvidia. While I'm all for AMD showing leadership and innovation, I really would get a sour taste if it had to resort to patent trolling after the debut of Zen. Still, we'll see.

Pretty excited!, I'm not for 'gaming notebooks' as all I need on a mobile system is some CPU horsepower. However I also like to game outside my house with friends sometimes, and it's most useful having something that can run games. Basic stuff, WoW; Dota, CSGO, Emulators, and light games.

I can't stand the small battery battery, thick, hot, massive (both size and charger size) and impractical gaming notebooks.

Hehe, either way, I think we are beyond the point people can still reasonably call Intel's graphics architecture crap. Nvidia didn't pull its cross-licensing agreements and run with its tail tucked for no good reason. The only potential obstacle is the ATI IP which might even affect ARM and Nvidia. While I'm all for AMD showing leadership and innovation, I really would get a sour taste if it had to resort to patent trolling after the debut of Zen. Still, we'll see.

I know it's not as good as it could be, and I'll use an argument I hate but it does what I use it for quite well so I have no real complaints about it.

If Intel could really get it going faster than AMD it's possible you can use an i3 or i5 in a budget rig.

I know it's not as good as it could be, and I'll use an argument I hate but it does what I use it for quite well so I have no real complaints about it.

If Intel could really get it going faster than AMD it's possible you can use an i3 or i5 in a budget rig.

Xeon X5450 budget rig (aka what I'm woking on-might just need to get a second hand ATX board): better MOPS (IPC) when compared to any FX cpu at the same clock (self tested and compared), higher quality silicon (server grade after all), insane overclocks, 4 cores that most games will run just fine on since few are optimized for more.

PMSL

On that note I think Intel will retain Iris and Iris Pro for the H series and desktop processors moving forward. Perhaps if HBM pans out Intel can forego Crystalwell (the most costly part) entirely and add the extra transistors to the GPU core count itself. At that point AMD will really be in a bind. Crystalwell's cache accounts for about 250 million transistors on Haswell's Iris Pro parts.

Xeon X5450 budget rig (aka what I'm woking on-might just need to get a second hand ATX board): better MOPS (IPC) when compared to any FX cpu at the same clock (self tested and compared), higher quality silicon (server grade after all), insane overclocks, 4 cores that most games will run just fine on since few are optimized for more.

That the Iris Pro Xeon? It's a BGA chip.   Nevermind, got confused for a moment.

Good, I hope iGPUs will destroy at least the x50 range of mobile gpus from Nvidia so they are forced to put in higher tiered ones at a better price point.

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

Update video in OP.

Good, I hope iGPUs will destroy at least the x50 range of mobile gpus from Nvidia so they are forced to put in higher tiered ones at a better price point.

Once AMD gets HBM for its iGPU that shouldn't be tough to do. I suspect Iris Pro 7200 will beat out the desktop GTX 950, at least if Intel opens Skylake up to be quad-channel memory on the Z-series platform. It would be the perfect way to snub Nvidia for tucking tail and running after the Larrabe project too.

Now onto my opinion: People keep saying Intel will never compete in iGPU, and I keep having to say it's dumb to count Intel out. It's not fanboyism. It's just acknowledgment of history and Intel's engineers.

i never count intel out. they have fantastic linux support for their iGPUs. not only that, but if all your gonna do is the occasional run at minecraft they are about perfect